Buying a 2020 Yukon with L83 5.3L EcoTec - Should I worry about AFM Lifter Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rental thing can go either way, but I'd speculate that a SUV wasn't beat on like a little shitbox or muscle car. Just get an extended warranty and enjoy it. Being down south is a plus - no rust. That is itself is worth something in my book. If you do live in a salt state, find someone who can rust proof it, or do it yourself.

You can always PM me m, or other here that do it for info/best practices. I can tell you from working on cars in the midwest, it's one of the most valuable longevity things you can do.

OP
OP
Printworthy

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
people tend to be scared of previous rentals thinking they are just beat on. but rental places get rid of them fairly quickly before the warranty expires, I think most of my vehicles I have bought were either previous rentals or company owned. I wouldn't worry about it.
I would be more scared of a vehicle with no history shown because that means it possibly was not maintained at all and just driven into the ground and dumped.

Not a rental fan - hard miles. They may have good maintenance records, but they usually have much more wear and tear as heavy suitcases and a full load of people are involved almost every time. Sometimes people use it one day for a specific heavy use like pulling a really big boat or trailer. Sure anyone could misuse their ride, but I woud say on average rentals get a rougher life vs someone with payments...
Thanks for the responses. I made the deal today 2020 Yukon SLT with 36K (Florida) miles. The Carfax showed that Hertz sold it at 21K - right about when Travel and Covid shutdown at April 2022. (I read they really downsized their fleet that time). It was a private local owner for the next 15K and it looks like it got serviced with regular fluid changes. It was traded in on a VW Atlas. I am pretty stoked about it. I went back and checked for interior luggage wear before closing the deal so many thanks for that tip.

OP
OP
Printworthy

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rental thing can go either way, but I'd speculate that a SUV wasn't beat on like a little shitbox or muscle car. Just get an extended warranty and enjoy it. Being down south is a plus - no rust. That is itself is worth something in my book. If you do live in a salt state, find someone who can rust proof it, or do it yourself.

You can always PM me m, or other here that do it for info/best practices. I can tell you from working on cars in the midwest, it's one of the most valuable longevity things you can do.
Thanks for the advice. The rustproofing is a great idea. I will certainly do it as we run it up to Michigan once or twice a year. I forgot you could still do that to a used car. I wetn over the underbody and it is really clean - some of the stickers are still white.
Thanks again.

CaptainMurray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a '07 Tahoe with no issues on the engine til 251k. Was going to be to expensive to fix for the age. I was lucky and got a '20 Yukon with 12k (Hertz was dumping them due to COVID). I haven't had any issues on it.

Just keep the oil and maintenance on a regular schedule. The 5.3 is a sturdy engine. FYI I do pull a 5k pound boat with it also.

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m right around 105k and my AFM is still enabled, it is BB tuned and has 5k valvoline full synthetic oil changes will their top shelf filters…. These systems need clean oil all the time… don’t even bother with semi-synthetic or regular oil, those allow too much sludge that’ll kill these sensitive lifters and VLOM system.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the 15K oil changes that were touted when the synthetic oil first hit the market?

Flugzeugfuhrer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the 15K oil changes that were touted when the synthetic oil first hit the market?
I've done 10k-12k on our 2014 V6 Equinox for as long as it's been around...Still runs great and 211k miles on it. Oil sent off to Blackstone after every change. They say keep doing what I'm doing - oil always looks good.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I guess that says it all. I bet you are faithful about oil changes. Good input. Thanks.
M
Every 5K miles with either Mobil 1 EP or ACDelco. Only gets ACDelco if I have the Stealership do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019