Buying a 2020 Yukon with L83 5.3L EcoTec - Should I worry about AFM Lifter Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
Have a deposit on a used 2020 Yukon SLT and just discovered the AFM Lifter Issue online. I cannot figure out if the Service Builletins include the 2020 year or just 2021 L82. Lot's of stories about older Sierras and Silverados but can't narrow it down.
Should I back out and look for another year? It has 36K on it. It has the L83 5.3L Ecotec. I am hoping it is not in the bad batch even though it looks like the class-action lawyers are casting a wide net if you look at their websites.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Marc

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
Have a deposit on a used 2020 Yukon SLT and just discovered the AFM Lifter Issue online. I cannot figure out if the Service Builletins include the 2020 year or just 2021 L82. Lot's of stories about older Sierras and Silverados but can't narrow it down.
Should I back out and look for another year? It has 36K on it. It has the L83 5.3L Ecotec. I am hoping it is not in the bad batch even though it looks like the class-action lawyers are casting a wide net if you look at their websites.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Marc
get a warranty if it's available and don't sweat it. Truth of the matter is it could happen to any of these vehicles from 07-24 randomly. theres no telling
there are millions of these suv's on the road
if you wanted to research a specific run you need the vin and production day/date, then see if it fits into a specific TSB

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And, if/when you take ownership, be proactive on oil changes at 5k or less. Maybe invest on a RANGE AFM disabler if it works on that year.

Just don't run it like a race car, and keep the oil clean and you'll be fine.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if/when you take ownership, be proactive on oil changes at 5k or less ...
... DEFINITELY invest on a RANGE AFM / DFM disabler if it works on that year.

Just don't run it like a race car, and keep the oil clean and ...
Fixed it for you.
Read the following Thread opening post:

The variable dual-mode lifters ARE the weak point. You buy yourself considerable time by:
avoiding cylinder deactivation as much as possible
keeping it under 5000RpM (these dual-mode lifters flutter and float, kinda like valvesprings and valves)
NEVER letting the Oil Life Monitor get anywhere near 0% - the more often you change your oil, the better

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07-10 were original design, and most problematic until the most recent models which suffer from the pandemic supply chain/chip shortage/alt supplier issues. The L83 was pretty well sorted out by 2020 - I would say thats the best year especially if it was built before March 2020 when everything shut down. You can still tune out AFM with a hand held tuner in that generation which I prefer vs something that stays in your OBD2 port all the time...

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer is this generation of LT motor is not as bad as the present generation 2021+. My GM tech says its was never as bad nor that bad on the 2015-2020. Why we are deleting our 2018 and sticking with it. But you are still vulnerable to it. Only 8 lifters instead of 16 on the new one. So you odds are half of a new one. Post #4 is proven good advice. The high rev beat on it guys have more failures. Slow Moms and the school line are less. Clean 5K synthetic oil changes best insurance. At a minimum do a computer AFM delete so it stays in the pumped up 8 cyl mode. Then cross your fingers and enjoy the truck. If it happens be ready for lifters and a cam and your all ready for it if you deleted the computer.

OP
OP
Printworthy

Printworthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
get a warranty if it's available and don't sweat it. Truth of the matter is it could happen to any of these vehicles from 07-24 randomly. theres no telling
there are millions of these suv's on the road
if you wanted to research a specific run you need the vin and production day/date, then see if it fits into a specific TSB
Short answer is this generation of LT motor is not as bad as the present generation 2021+. My GM tech says its was never as bad nor that bad on the 2015-2020. Why we are deleting our 2018 and sticking with it. But you are still vulnerable to it. Only 8 lifters instead of 16 on the new one. So you odds are half of a new one. Post #4 is proven good advice. The high rev beat on it guys have more failures. Slow Moms and the school line are less. Clean 5K synthetic oil changes best insurance. At a minimum do a computer AFM delete so it stays in the pumped up 8 cyl mode. Then cross your fingers and enjoy the truck. If it happens be ready for lifters and a cam and your all ready for it if you deleted the computer.
Fixed it for you.
Read the following Thread opening post:

The variable dual-mode lifters ARE the weak point. You buy yourself considerable time by:
avoiding cylinder deactivation as much as possible
keeping it under 5000RpM (these dual-mode lifters flutter and float, kinda like valvesprings and valves)
NEVER letting the Oil Life Monitor get anywhere near 0% - the more often you change your oil, the better
Agreed. And, if/when you take ownership, be proactive on oil changes at 5k or less. Maybe invest on a RANGE AFM disabler if it works on that year.

Just don't run it like a race car, and keep the oil clean and you'll be fine.
Thanks for all the input. I feel better about the AFM issue now. Maybe 2020 is a good sweet spot if I heed the advice on maintenance and driving style. Carfax shows is had regular oild changes about at 6K intervals. It also shows it was a Hertz vehicle I think ("Fleet" on window sticker and title in Oklahoma City OK.) All the miles are Florida (36K) so it was probably rented for Disney Vacations in Orlando and Tampa.
I don't see any reason to be scared off by the rental designation if it only has 36K and minimal interior wear - do you?
Thanks in advance.
Marc

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carfax shows is had regular oil changes about at 6K intervals.
Toyota used to recommend 6k oil change intervals.
When you find out what happened to those engines, hopefully, you'll stop thinking '6k oil change interval' was is or ever will be a good idea.
At the VERY LEAST, you'll start looking for a larger compatible oil filter.
Think - oil filters are getting SMALLER - how are oil change intervals getting bigger? Make that make sense.
Then check how many Gen5 V8s have gone past 250k miles.
It also shows it was a Hertz vehicle I think ("Fleet" on window sticker and title in Oklahoma City OK).
All the miles are Florida (36K) so it was probably rented for Disney Vacations in Orlando and Tampa.
I don't see any reason to be scared off by the rental designation if it only has 36K and minimal interior wear - do you?
I remember how I used to drive rental vehicles, including the one I rented last year.
Not everyone drives rentals as I do, but you should bet at least 3 to 5 renters rode it hard, tossed it around, and put it away hot and sweaty.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a rental fan - hard miles. They may have good maintenance records, but they usually have much more wear and tear as heavy suitcases and a full load of people are involved almost every time. Sometimes people use it one day for a specific heavy use like pulling a really big boat or trailer. Sure anyone could misuse their ride, but I woud say on average rentals get a rougher life vs someone with payments...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I feel better about the AFM issue now. Maybe 2020 is a good sweet spot if I heed the advice on maintenance and driving style. Carfax shows is had regular oild changes about at 6K intervals. It also shows it was a Hertz vehicle I think ("Fleet" on window sticker and title in Oklahoma City OK.) All the miles are Florida (36K) so it was probably rented for Disney Vacations in Orlando and Tampa.
Thanks in advance.
Marc
people tend to be scared of previous rentals thinking they are just beat on. but rental places get rid of them fairly quickly before the warranty expires, I think most of my vehicles I have bought were either previous rentals or company owned. I wouldn't worry about it.
I would be more scared of a vehicle with no history shown because that means it possibly was not maintained at all and just driven into the ground and dumped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar