What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
contemplating if I want to put ppv wiper arms on or not or the alternate style anyway, they stick up more though. on the silverado sierra's they are more hidden behind the hood.
also wondering if I can fit the 18 silverado arms on the 12 they are more sleek and the fluid sprayer works 10x better

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never knew PPV had different wipers!?
I was thinking about hood mounted heated sprayers. Sucks when you have frozen wiper blades, and you can't get any spray on the windshield either.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
years ago at a very reputable shop here in town the owner told me he sometimes had issue's with the plastic ones leaking and customers coming back and having to do warranty work, so he switched to the metal ones and had no problems, might be that the plastic ones warp or something I don't know that's the only thing I can come up with, i think he mentioned that the metal ones seemed to do better with the heat. I just took it for granted and have used the metal ones myself and have had no reportable issue's either. They are pretty nice (well made), cost a few bucks more but seem worth it.

Interesting. I'll look into 'em!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove thecopcar a while today. I've notice a few random times the cruise wouldn't engage. Today it would drop out of cruise intermitantly. Tapping the brakes reset it, and away we go again. I'm guessing it's time for a brake switch change.

Sounds like it. This is the typical mode of failure. If giving the brake pedal a sharp jab or lifting it with your foot behind it fixes it, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a funky switch.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bypassed the ambient light sensor. Hooked up a 680 ohm and 10k ohm resistor to a relay harness. Triggered relay with trailer parking light fuse in fusebox. (the fused side, terminal furthest from cab) though im not sure if 18 gauge wire is enough to pop the stock 15A fuse, or if my wire would burn up with short) I might add a tap and put a smaller fuse in, though the wire is loomed up and in safe locations..

View attachment 401663
red wire (30 terminal) goes to the white wire in ambient light sensor (i de-pinned it and heat shrunk the wire on it in case it didnt work)
blue wire went to brown park lamp circuit (fusebox in my case)
all other wires are grounds, but two (87a and 87 terminals) with resistors soldered inline and a bunch of heat shrink to keep them from stressing the resistor leads.

no more dimming in the daytime, adjustable dimming at night.

UPDATE: One weird behavior.
When turning lights off, the dash display goes from nighttime dim, to off, then on daylight bright.
Does not cycle off when going from daytime to nighttime.
Not sure why, maybe the sudden change in voltage going from 10kohm resistance suddenly to 680ohm is too fast for the BCM to adjust?
That or some other electrical behavior I don't understand.. Any suggestions on how to wire a fix?

Reading up on something called a flyback diode.. something about voltage spikes when power to coil is cut, which would make sense why it happens turning lights off.
Ordered a relay with diode, but I'm not sure that's the issue.
also swapped my 85 and 86 (coil terminals) around. Sounds like conventionally 85 is -, and 86 is +.

I've not heard of this mod. what does it do?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never knew PPV had different wipers!?
I was thinking about hood mounted heated sprayers. Sucks when you have frozen wiper blades, and you can't get any spray on the windshield either.
There are a couple different designs of the arm's some of them on the earlier models are more angled and use a different connector instead a j hook, some do not lift up all the way because of a metal tab, the angled ones are pretty much used on the silverados and sierras
the main difference may be the mount one with groove's and one without, that part I haven't figured out yet

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not heard of this mod. what does it do?
All it does is bypass the light sensor, so when you are driving through a tunnel or under trees, the dash will not dim on you. That's it!
Unplugging the sensor will almost do the same thing, except your dash will be bright at night and the dimmer control won't work.

Looking like I need a diode on the relay. Here is a video that shows what happens..

I guess the BCM was sensing a big voltage spike from ground when switching the relay off. Hopefully I didn't hurt it!
Will test again when I get the new relay with diode. Will always add diodes to relays from now on!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a couple different designs of the arm's some of them on the earlier models are more angled and use a different connector instead a j hook, some do not lift up all the way because of a metal tab, the angled ones are pretty much used on the silverados and sierras
the main difference may be the mount one with groove's and one without, that part I haven't figured out yet
I’d see if you can find a set off of a ‘13. Ours has the normal j-hook and lifts up all the way.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’d see if you can find a set off of a ‘13. Ours has the normal j-hook and lifts up all the way.

The only change I ever knew of was when they went back to the traditional J-hook arms on (I think) '09+. I nabbed the arms off a newer one being parted out about a year ago to convert mine to the J-hook design. They included fairly fresh Bosch Icon blades. They lift up and stand straight out, but so did my old ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork