What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't ran it in my Tahoe in years. When I did, I noticed an immediate and consistent 2-4 MPG loss. I often run Shell in my work van (2020 Transit) because Shell stations seem to always be conveniently located when I'm really needing to fill up. The MPG loss is consistent in my work van compared to any of the other Top Tier fuels. I had the same experience in my previous van, a 2016 Transit. I've never studied it beyond this aspect. But, in my mind, a fuel has to be really bad (watered down?) to cause this. I've read of tuners advising against it and my tuner did as well.
Gotcha. I’ve only used it when I had no other options, but it isn’t often enough to notice the difference.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was 5 of 6 kids so by the time my parents had to deal with me they didn’t care, just wanted me to not be a bother so I was gone all day. I got a dirt bike when I was about 10 and used to go ride for miles up and down the hill we lived on (1000’) , the neighboring valley, and the next hill over. There were dirt bike trails all over, really well developed ones. This was right on the edge of city limits. There was a viewpoint up the street from my house we called the end of the world. Down below was all the lights of the city. It was a cool place to grow up. Cigarettes were .25 a pack. I smoked by the time I was 12, drank too. Everybody I knew did.
You’re pretty close to describing my own experience, except it was bmx bikes.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Not many shell stations around here.
And the ones that are around here always seem to have terrible locations.

Usually, it's a Mavrick or Chevron have the easy to deal with corner lots.

Most Mavrick's have the pure gas, I run that in my boat, RC car, and yard/lawn equipment.
Since doing so I'm finding i'm not needing to rebuild the carbs so often. :jester:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I was 5 of 6 kids so by the time my parents had to deal with me they didn’t care, just wanted me to not be a bother so I was gone all day. I got a dirt bike when I was about 10 and used to go ride for miles up and down the hill we lived on (1000’) , the neighboring valley, and the next hill over. There were dirt bike trails all over, really well developed ones. This was right on the edge of city limits. There was a viewpoint up the street from my house we called the end of the world. Down below was all the lights of the city. It was a cool place to grow up. Cigarettes were .25 a pack. I smoked by the time I was 12, drank too. Everybody I knew did.

Me = hyperactive so yeah, anything to keep me busy the parents were happy with. :jester:

When I was about 12 I discovered dirt bikes.
before that, mountain bikes.

Where I grew up was right against the mountains.
go up the street a bit, past the park and there was this nicely developed dirt bike trail.

so we would blast up the hill on the dirtbikes, and off to the trail.
Old controlling people hated it.

Few of my neighbors were just happy I wasn't doing me and creating catapults, and other somewhat destructive things as I learned new things. :Jedi:

It was pretty fun, tons of trails that would take you for miles and miles.
Up and over the mountain if you had enough fuel.

Most of my best childhood memories right there.

Last time I went through the neighborhood, old people had the trail head closed down.
So now just horses and walking. :mad:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many shell stations around here.
And the ones that are around here always seem to have terrible locations.

Usually, it's a Mavrick or Chevron have the easy to deal with corner lots.

Most Mavrick's have the pure gas, I run that in my boat, RC car, and yard/lawn equipment.
Since doing so I'm finding i'm not needing to rebuild the carbs so often. :jester:
I run normal regular in all my lawn and garden equipment, never had a single issue in my life. I leave it in all winter too, everything fires right up in the spring and never have had any isdues with the rubber parts either. My Toro lawn mower is 14 years old.

Reaction score
Well damn, I was out running to Lowe's and figured I'd fill up since the Mobil station that has E85 is on the way. It only took 16 gallons/half a tank, but E85 price is up to $3.94 (5 days ago it was $3.70) and 93 octane is $4.79. That's pretty much a wash for cost per mile. So much for the E85 being cheaper

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Took the family to a museum that I'd been trying to visit since the 1980s. Always passed by it in the dead of night or before it opened. Finally decided to make a day trip and took the girls with me.

Truck ran beautifully but on the return the radio kept blanking out for a second or two. Then it would resume where it left off. As time passed, the cluster would also blank out, all the lights go off and the radio would reboot but resume, the GMC splash screen would come on. Then I noticed that this would happen whenever I used the right turn signal. As time went on, the left turn signal would cause it. Then the wiper fluid, lots of bugs out yesterday trying to block my vision! What's going on? Negative battery cable? Oh, most annoying about this now was that the cruise was cutting off! I first noticed it after passing a truck, flipped the signal to move in front of the guy and didn't notice for a second that the cruise kicked out until his flashing headlights filled my back window! Punched it and resumed speed and began paying attention to the problem!

Pulled into the driveway and shut down the truck and she went dead. No lights, no chimes, no door locks, nothing. Took care of stuff around the house, the dogs, dinner and went looking for my volt meter. Finally found it in the truck (Who put it in there? LOL) and the battery was 12.3 volts, little low but discovered the positive cable was loose.

Tightened that up and all seems well. The truck was bingo fuel so will test it out this afternoon before evening service by myself in case there's a problem.

Gas jumped over a quarter in price around here in the last few days. Going on E85, $3.50 beats $5.25 no matter what.

View attachment 370344

By the way, the museum is awesome. You'll see cars and dragsters in there that exist nowhere else. Brought back a lot of memories too.
Glad you found the electrical issue.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I run normal regular in all my lawn and garden equipment, never had a single issue in my life. I leave it in all winter too, everything fires right up in the spring and never have had any isdues with the rubber parts either. My Toro lawn mower is 14 years old.

Where you really run into an issue is where the equipment uses a little rubber diaphragm to pump or regulate fuel.

Most mowers are just gravity feed into the carb, then just your standard venturi effect through the jets.
Those don't really have an issue, unless you store it with fuel in the carb.

With trimmers and chainsaws, you have a metering diaphragm that goes bad.

Say on my chain saw, it's common for it to sit for long periods unused.

I always try and test it before i take it out to loan it or what ever.
I try and keep a minimum of two carb kits on hand for it... lol

If i let it sit with fuel, then i usually need to slap in a new diaphragm at a minimum.

My boat, is a 4 cylinder 1800cc (iirc) two stroke.
It has to pull fuel from a larger tank that sits lower than the engine.

It has two diaphragm fuel pumps.
Those go hard and you end up running lean if you're not on top of it.

Pure gas in theory makes it las longer.
But those diaphragms get replaced yearly, along with the water pump impeller.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Yesterday i changed the filter to inspect and getting ready for another breakin run.

Running the fresh transmission through it's paces, and seating those fresh piston rings.

Then while getting ready for a drive up the canyon, i went to connect my phone via blue tooth to the radio.

I tried to set the audio input on the deck (pioneer avic 5201), and suddenly it freezes.
Then reboots.
Then gets stuck in a reboot loop.

Turns out this is a documented issue.

They use a sd card to run the software on the deck.
Over time, that sd card can fail and become corrupt.

So i took the radio out, pulled off the front panel to find the sd card.

Hoping i can recover something, especially since that radio is how i find our property... ugg.

Anyways, luckly there are a few that have figured this out on some forums, and even sell replacement sd cards loaded with the factory software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia