What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Mine's not lowered and I don't notice the resonator unless I'm laying looking under the vehicle [emoji848]

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18
I take that back, you can see part of the bottom of it behind the rear tire if you know what to look for, but not enough for me to spend any time worrying about it... Lol
1f7ffc682d9b1fd9ec2b193c32c9cdca.jpg

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take that back, you can see part of the bottom of it behind the rear tire if you know what to look for, but not enough for me to spend any time worrying about it... Lol
1f7ffc682d9b1fd9ec2b193c32c9cdca.jpg

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
I guess that depends on the person looking at it. When that dingleberry was hanging there on mine it bugged the crap out of me and had to go fairly quickly. t just looks horrible IMO Then again, maybe I'm psychotic LOL

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion...

If you are looking to get every last bit of power out of your engine ABOVE 5000 RPM then long tubes are the way to go.

If you are looking for more power in the 2000-5000 RPM range, where it's more usable for daily street driving, then the JBA Cat4ward headers do a pretty good job. Several of the header companies make headers that all look alike. JBA, Gibson, BBK, Dougs.. etc.

JBA Headers and Exhaust System Give This 5.3L V8 a Power Upgrade
https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engin...ust-system-give-this-5-3l-v8-a-power-upgrade/

Whatever you go with make sure you get ceramic coated and I would also suggest getting a good set of locking header bolts. I went with the Stage 8 locking header bolts found here...

https://www.stage8.com/product/8900-chevrolet-ls1-ls2-ls6-header-bolt-kit/

I purchased mine on Ebay for like $20 though.

Also you need to be cautious when choosing a camshaft. You need to figure out how YOU drive and where YOU want more power.

Keep in mind that these are big heavy trucks and you don't want to sacrifice a bunch of low end torque for the high end horsepower or else it will feel sluggish in normal everyday driving.

Also if you choose too big of a cam you will need to install a different torque converter to really take advantage of the power band.

This is all just my opinion... I am certain others will chime in as well.

Just FYI you CAN get long tube headers with an aftermarket Y-pipe that has cats in them... but all of that will cost substantially more obviously.
I decided to go with long tubes (though I haven’t done it yet), but since I’ve got almost 200k on the clock, and I’m confident the cats are original, I would hate to do shortys, only to find out in 6 months, I need to do the cats too..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with long tubes (though I haven’t done it yet), but since I’ve got almost 200k on the clock, and I’m confident the cats are original, I would hate to do shortys, only to find out in 6 months, I need to do the cats too..
American Racing longtubes with or without their high flow cats ftw.

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@kbuskill , You did the shorties. Did you have to change the Y pipe as well? If so, which did you use? I'm looking at the JBA's, Gibsons, and Pacesetters. Other than the JBA's, which @kbuskill has covered thoroughly, anyone have any feedback on these manufacturers? The Pacesetters are the most cost effective, @ $320 on RockAuto, before the forum discount. From the entry on RockAuto:

PACESETTER 72C1346 C.A.R.B. Compliant; ARMOR Coat Performance Header; Incl. Gaskets And Hardware; Shorty Header Info
1-5/8 in. Tubing Dia.; 2-1/2 in. Collector Dia.; CARB E.O. D-439-9; Flanged Collector; Replaces Stock Exhaust Manifold; Bolts To Stock Down Pipe; Retains Catalytic Converter In Stock Location

$320.79

ARMOR*COAT- LOWER UNDERHOOD TEMPERATURES

Keep underhood temperatures to a minimum and protect your investment! Pacesetter's ARMOR*Coat finish is a polished, 2000 F metallic ceramic coating. ARMOR*Coat won't discolor like paint, chrome or even stainless steel. It reduces underhood temperatures, helps the header resist rust and corrosion and is easy to keep clean. The coating itself is guaranteed not to chip, peel or flake for three years.

I'm inclined to go with these, as they are by far the most cost effective, unless I hear from you guys that they are crap, or that they don't perform well.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have speed engineering long tubes hanging on my garage wall that I coated in high temp cerakote. Still need to order some cats for it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I did not HAVE to change the Y-pipe.

I chose to remove the cats and I lost some torque so I had a new smaller diameter Y-pipe built to restore the lost torque.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@kbuskill , You did the shorties. Did you have to change the Y pipe as well? If so, which did you use? I'm looking at the JBA's, Gibsons, and Pacesetters. Other than the JBA's, which @kbuskill has covered thoroughly, anyone have any feedback on these manufacturers? The Pacesetters are the most cost effective, @ $320 on RockAuto, before the forum discount. From the entry on RockAuto:

@badandyturbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baldaurk