What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Don’t think, do something dammit!

Maybe when I'm old like you, and my daughter doesn't require me to transport her everywhere and fund everything she does, I'll catch up. Lol....
There is a 6.0 in my stable now, too, don't forget, Mr. Beast. That wasn't free.

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Don't remember seeing the numbers before, was that on an engine or chassis dyno?

Chassis dyno... all the info is in the article at the link I posted earlier... they dynoed a stock pickup and then the only thing done to the truck was the JBA Cat4ward headers and a bolt on muffler with dual outlets into dual tail pipes. This was apparently without a tune or anything.

Check out the link... here it is again so you don't have to go back and look for it...

JBA Headers and Exhaust System Give This 5.3L V8 a Power Upgrade
https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engin...ust-system-give-this-5-3l-v8-a-power-upgrade/

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chassis dyno... all the info is in the article at the link I posted earlier... they dynoed a stock pickup and then the only thing done to the truck was the JBA Cat4ward headers and a bolt on muffler with dual outlets into dual tail pipes. This was apparently without a tune or anything.

Check out the link... here it is again so you don't have to go back and look for it...

JBA Headers and Exhaust System Give This 5.3L V8 a Power Upgrade
https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engin...ust-system-give-this-5-3l-v8-a-power-upgrade/
So that’s shorty headers plus a cat-back? Just wondering how much restriction the stock muffler and resonator contributed.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So that’s shorty headers plus a cat-back? Just wondering how much restriction the stock muffler and resonator contributed.

Correct... I'm not sure about the restrictions on the factory catback system but I doubt that the catback system did much more than facilitate a better sound.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we hear all the time that shorties are no better than factory manifolds but Ken sure noticed a difference and one of the makers of shorties, I forget which, posted dyno results showing that they do indeed increase power. In the early 1990s with the Fox bodied Mustangs, one of the first mods was to put shorty headers on them.

Your cam choice scares me though! Level 3 what? Do you have the specs? I'm just an armchair warrior in this respect, lots of guys though have put cams in their trucks. I always want to see the time slips to measure performance. @randeez @Justin Yeager @NathanS @davidzog @erichyukondoit @Chrismnj @Albert Meza @mrcajunjoker @BourbonNcigars @Ilikemtb999 @Lsnoob13 @sfc_jones @sumo @fullofdayas @buddyhotrod @blackjack

Albert Meza has a recent post with video posted so you can hear his setup.

Yea I wouldn’t do anything that aggressive for a dd. I have a stage 1 vvt cam from Texas speed and I’m nervous I’ll need a stall for it. I might buy one and see how it goes and if it doesn’t need it then toss it in my caprice instead. I haven’t actually gotten it in yet though. Probably within the next few weeks. Hard to do since it’s my wife’s daily instead of mine now.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct... I'm not sure about the restrictions on the factory catback system but I doubt that the catback system did much more than facilitate a better sound.
Not so sure about that. Factory mufflers are there to make things quiet and they don’t care if it requires sacrificing power or torque. It’s usually a choke point. I would have liked to see just the headers swapped out so the results could be completely due to them and not other things like a cat back because any company that sells catbacks also claim hp and torque increases over the factory setup. As Blowmaster states: “Like all Flowmaster systems, the benefits include improved throttle response, power and mileage. “ Throttle response being torque I assume.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so sure about that. Factory mufflers are there to make things quiet and they don’t care if it requires sacrificing power or torque. It’s usually a choke point. I would have liked to see just the headers swapped out so the results could be completely due to them and not other things like a cat back because any company that sells catbacks also claim hp and torque increases over the factory setup. As Blowmaster states: “Like all Flowmaster systems, the benefits include improved throttle response, power and mileage. “ Throttle response being torque I assume.
As far as I’ve seen it’s just the resonator that’s a “restriction” in the stock catback.

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I wouldn’t do anything that aggressive for a dd. I have a stage 1 vvt cam from Texas speed and I’m nervous I’ll need a stall for it. I might buy one and see how it goes and if it doesn’t need it then toss it in my caprice instead. I haven’t actually gotten it in yet though. Probably within the next few weeks. Hard to do since it’s my wife’s daily instead of mine now.
This brings me to another couple of questions, and please forgive my ignorance :

What is a stall converter and what does it do?

What is vvt?

I saw vvt on Texas Speed website as well, and had no clue... Thanks in advance...

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This brings me to another couple of questions, and please forgive my ignorance :

What is vvt?

I saw vvt on Texas Speed website as well, and had no clue... Thanks in advance...

When you stomp on the gas, the rpms jump to a certain rpm, hang for a moment and then continue north. This is roughly your torque converter's stall speed. Folks raise the stall speed to compensate for high rpm, high powered camshafts where the powerband is moved up. Not so good for trucks, ok for race cars.

VVT = Variable Valve Timing. Your truck doesn't have it. Introduced in 2010 to flatten torque band and increase efficiency.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What is vvt?

A higher stall torque converter will “grab” at a higher rpm to get the engine more in the power band. If you brake torque your Tahoe (foot on the brake and the throttle) that point in which you feel it want to lurch forward is the stall speed where it’s locking up to move the vehicle forward. With a large cam it’s going to want to do that much sooner so a higher stall will fix that. Large cam with a stock converter will be incredibly hard to stop, keep stopped and keep running at idle.

Vvt is variable valve timing. It can adjust the timing on the fly so it can add timing at low rpm to make more power and retard timing at high rpm to make more hp. Basically best of both worlds of a high hp cam and low end torque cam. Your 07 does not have it though (at least I don’t think the Tahoe got it)