What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could put a small
Section of shrink over the top
Of the braid where it makes sharp bends, to hold it in the corners..? :hmmm2:
I think I’ll just replace the 2 small hoses with either new braided line that’s not formed or I’ll use the wrap and heat shrink I already bought and wrap regular rubber line and use it. There’s no way to make it look right on those sharp bends and there’s no reason I need those bends anyway.

YukonBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
3BF21D6B-E293-407B-B522-37085B1C11D1.jpeg

Went for a Sunday drive out to a shopping center in Issaquah. I threw on my replacement center cap earlier that I bought off eBay, for the rear driver side, but I don’t think it matches too well.

The trip was about 20 minutes out from Seattle and it is the first time I’ve needed to use the AC. It blew fairly cold the whole way, but when I pulled off and started hitting stop lights, I quickly began feeling hot air coming out of the vents. So, it looks like that’s going to be added to my todo list of fixes.

First up though is a visit to the suspension shop this week for a steering/suspension refresh. The drivetrain on this truck is in good condition but the suspension is burnt toast at this point. It’s gotta go, pronto. This will include a leveling kit install with new shocks/rear coils, as well as new wheels and tires.

I’m shooting for something like:
445DC1A9-4B7F-4BA2-8AF1-AE138101941A.jpeg
but I’ll adjust depending on trimming required/no spacers. I think this is a 305/75/r16 and a 3inch level.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 373881

Went for a Sunday drive out to a shopping center in Issaquah. I threw on my replacement center cap earlier that I bought off eBay, for the rear driver side, but I don’t think it matches too well.

The trip was about 20 minutes out from Seattle and it is the first time I’ve needed to use the AC. It blew fairly cold the whole way, but when I pulled off and started hitting stop lights, I quickly began feeling hot air coming out of the vents. So, it looks like that’s going to be added to my todo list of fixes.

First up though is a visit to the suspension shop this week for a steering/suspension refresh. The drivetrain on this truck is in good condition but the suspension is burnt toast at this point. It’s gotta go, pronto. This will include a leveling kit install with new shocks/rear coils, as well as new wheels and tires.

I’m shooting for something like:
View attachment 373890
but I’ll adjust depending on trimming required/no spacers. I think this is a 305/75/r16 and a 3inch level.
The ac on these is notorious for insufficient airflow over the condenser. Do you have E-fans or clutch? The e-fans help a lot but sometimes don’t completely fix the problem.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ac on these is notorious for insufficient airflow over the condenser. Do you have E-fans or clutch? The e-fans help a lot but sometimes don’t completely fix the problem.
Mark you are 100% correct. My AC struggled to blow cold unless I was moving over 40mph. Then when I upgraded to Efans, it was a TREMENDOUS improvement especially at idle or driving at lower speeds. But even with the E-fans it still performs it's absolute best when I'm cruising at highway speeds.

whyhelloofficer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Mark you are 100% correct. My AC struggled to blow cold unless I was moving over 40mph. Then when I upgraded to Efans, it was a TREMENDOUS improvement especially at idle or driving at lower speeds. But even with the E-fans it still performs it's absolute best when I'm cruising at highway speeds.

With the hot start to the Summer here in Florida, I am dying.

Even with E-Fans, and Installing an additional 12" pusher fan on the front of the condenser, I am sweating through my pantaloons at idle in traffic.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Idler arm and bracket. I was thinking my steering was a little “loose” feeling. Saw some play in it. Was lazy and paid my local shop to swap in a new one. Moog. Much better feel now E7679ACD-F5E9-4C86-8791-99EFA9EAFF3C.jpeg
i did the easy job today. Swapped console rear power port to dual USB.
F9D66270-00EC-4384-BAED-A01FE33873E8.jpeg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.. I’ve been holding off a bit on providing an update for my parts install. Partly because I’m in the middle of moving, and partly because I’ve had a number of challenges, and have been doing my best to refrain from ranting about it.. so now I can rant..

If y’all remember, the transmission was sent with the 2wd output shaft, rather than the 4wd I ordered.. so trans was shipped back to Pa. Performabuilt received the transmission around 10:15, and it was back on the truck the same day at something like 1PM..!! Hell yeah Performabuilt..!! Trans gets back to the shop, the process took 2 weeks due to slow shipping.. meanwhile June 16th, I’m driving from Colorado to Texas, since I had already scheduled everything. Got a call from mechanic to inform me the FTI flexplate I ordered was for an 8-bolt crank and wouldn’t fit on my 6-bolt.. greeeat.. I asked him to source a local OEM flexplate, so I’d at least have a new part in there. Now I would have to go back to Denver, pickup the Yukon, and drive back again.. Arrived in Texas, unloaded the truck, my car in the 3rd garage, and hauled back out to Denver for another 2 day drive in a miserably uncomfortable, but excellent workhorse Penske International 26’ with the 4-wheel car hauler on it.. my buddy had to pickup the truck out of state, and drive it to Colorado, because there was zero availability for anything that size. Just nothing. Penske quoted me $8200 for Denver to Tyler, for a 5 day rental. Then told me they didn’t have a truck anyway..!
So I ended up spending around $1500-1800 in fuel just for the rental truck.. Nodak-to-Denver-to Tyler-back to Denver. Almost 3000 miles. Ok.. got back to Denver, dropped off the truck, and thankfully, had a good friend who loaned me his extra car for a week, while I waited for the Yukon to be finished.
Monday, June 20th, mechanic told me we would be able to start her up that afternoon.. so I headed down for the event. I had previously installed my “baseline” tune for the new cam, heads, etc.. to get her running that BBP provided previously. (Thank you to @BlackBearPerf for accommodating my request with my parts list!! Y’all are awesome..!) So we start her up.. there’s a nasty squeaking noise.. I’m kinda freaking out, thinking things are wearing down and something is definitely not right.. great! Now what.?

I hung around for a while, and asked mechanic to dig through everything, and see if there’s anything obvious, or damaged.. mechanic tore it down, removed transmission, etc… noise still there with no transmission, so that’s ruled out good..? I guess..? Spent the next week checking and reassembling.. this Monday, we started her back up.. same noise..
I decided, due to time constraints, $$ to stay in a hotel while I waited for the truck, I just would drive the 500 break in miles, then check her oil and trans fluid out, and plan to head out to Texas, if there was nothing too sparkly in the pan(s)..
Since my daughters bird is with us, I couldn’t stay in Texas while it was worked on, and fly back out to pick up the Yukon. The bird makes things difficult.. and expensive.. spent about 3k on the hotel the last 2 weeks.. o_O
So today I decided to go visit @Fless , who is about a 50 minute drive one way (45 with a lead foot).. we were able to hang out and BS a bit, had a nice dinner, and hooked up his Tech2, since in my haste, I’d left mine back in Texas. Everything looked good from the Tech2, but I did determine my OBD2 port seems to be flaky.. both our Tech2’s lose connection with it constantly. I initially thought it was my clone, but his also did it, and he had never had that issue. So.. something else I’ll have to fix.. ahem, anyway, all looked well.. I was actually not sure if the trans had been slipping a bit, just since I’m not used to the new torque converter stall @2800. (I’m a noob, apologies..)now, after I started the truck back up, after arriving at @Fless house, the squeak seemed to be gone..! Subsequently, each time I stopped, and restarted her, seemed quieter. So I believe I just needed to drive a bit of break in miles to get the new parts happy in their places, and now she sounds pretty damn good! Drove back to my hotel, and waited approximately 35-40 minutes, so still warm, but then took a video.. she sounds like she should..!

So, hopefully that’s all good, and I can get as close to 500 break in miles as possible before July 4th. I’ll be heading back to Tx on the 5th.

Power is definitely a noticeable difference..! Transmission shifts absolutely wonderful and solid. When I’m on the freeway it seems like I have a couple extra gears, she’s so responsive..! Barely moving the accelerator will invoke a downshift, and barely any throttle provides an immediate 10+ mph increase, and a wide grin.. I still need to data log, to get her fine tuned, but since I don’t have my PC with me, will have to wait until I get home.

One thing I hadn’t expected, or at least, didn’t expect as much of a difference, is the exhaust is MUCH louder at low speeds. She’s never been quiet, since I did the ARH longtubes, and magnaflow 18”, but man the cam / heads obviously breathe so much better, it sounds like I’m really getting on it while barely accelerating.! So an additional, or possibly just longer muffler is in my future. I don’t mind loud, when I’m getting on it, but she’s downright obnoxious now! :lol2:

Sorry I don’t have much in regard to pics or videos. I’m really bummed I wasn’t able to participate in the install, due to the moving fiasco.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick