What Would You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an L92 cheaper than an L94? Since an L92 is an L94 with V4 mode disabled, cool!
(Early L92s had V4 mode disabled, yet had V4 mode hardware installed, for some odd reason.)
My question comes back to
How much, if any, would the vehicle devalue with a stock 6.0L instead of the 6.2L?
Depends on the buyer.
If they'd PREFER to be able to use 87 octane and still work / play hard with the engine, they'd pay more than the stickler who dogmatically insists that it's not a 6.2L.
Sorry I can't math it for you.

But a 6.0L Escalade would be far more moral / ethical than a 5.3L 'vette - especially because a 6.0L Escalade would be MORE durable than a 6.2L because it can work / play with 87.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off topic I know, but can you not just pull a few deg timing out of a 6.2 and run 87?

has anyone watched the knock count while running 87? I haven't seen the tune on one, but the 6.2 ls3 tune has a low octane timing map and a high octane timing map. once it sees some ping and retards timing, it will switch to the low timing until the next fill up. couldn't you just copy the low map into the high and call it a day. I doubt you'd even notice the hp outside of a track run.. and even then probably less than a tenth or 2?

so I believe the Cathedral board heads would fit on a 6.2 right? only difference I know of between the 6.0 and the 6.2 besides a mm or so bore is the rec port heads? what makes the 6.2 so sensitive to octane?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If an L92 is in the budget do that. The L96 e85 6.0L was in the HD trucks from 10-17. They are one of the few apples for apples swap that can use your existing ECM.

I mentioned e85 / Reg gas because it can be a deal maker depending on the market you want to sell it in.

The very early, like late 06 L92 6.2L had the AFM hardware but no software to operate it. There were only a few handfuls of those and fewer survivors. You’d be hard pressed to find one.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you not just pull a few deg timing out of a 6.2L and run 87?
Actually, YES, although its more involved than it would be on a carburetted engine.
Several new spark maps and spark offsets would need to be written.
I SUPPOSE one COULD use the ignition templates from a 6.0L as baseline references, but ...
It would not be nearly as simple or quick as just transcribing 6.0L ignition tables and offsets and whatnot into a 6.2L ecm.

Even the low octane timing maps for 6.2L were never written expecting idiotards to haul arse / several tons with 87 in the tank.
Driving a 6.2L like Miss Daisy til you can get some E85 or 91 octane in there is one thing.
Being cheap with 87 and driving like you shoulda used 91 ... gambling the wrong way ...

LS3 cars are not nearly as heavy as L92 / L9H / L94 trucks.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... so I believe the Cathedral board heads would fit on a 6.2L right?
only difference I know of between the 6.0L and the 6.2L besides a mm or so bore is the rec port heads?
What makes the 6.2L so sensitive to octane?
Religious port heads fit on a 6.2L, but they'd limit power, especially the Gen3 ones (61cc) with the small valves, especially over 4750RpM.
The LS2 used Gen4 church port heads (65cc), remember - those make more power at higher RpM because they used medium valves.

I'd see no problem with using chapel-port heads on anything up to 6.0L - go look at the LS2 again.
400 horse @ 6000RpM ... on 91 octane. OF COURSE it'd be less on 87 octane.
I'd even be willing to use holy-port heads on a 6.2L - but ONLY AFTER having a tune written SPECIFICALLY for 87 octane!

GM did not write any Low Octane Table for any 6.2L specifically for 87 octane.
ECMs since LS1 have Low Octane Tables and High Octane Tables. The engines use BOTH because of variable fuel quality.

There are SEPARATE contingency tables that ALLOW 6.2L engines to GET AWAY WITH using 87 octane.
Not the same as "spec'd and designed for 87".
More like "how far is the next gas station that aren't idiots that are out of 91? Don't put in any more 87 than we need to get there ..."
"... gotta drive like we're all suffering from motion sickness til I fill it with 91, or better yet, E85."

OP
OP
C

coz3z3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can get an L92 cheaper than an L94? Since an L92 is an L94 with V4 mode disabled, cool!
(Early L92s had V4 mode disabled, yet had V4 mode hardware installed, for some odd reason.)Depends on the buyer.
If they'd PREFER to be able to use 87 octane and still work / play hard with the engine, they'd pay more than the stickler who dogmatically insists that it's not a 6.2L.
Sorry I can't math it for you.

But a 6.0L Escalade would be far more moral / ethical than a 5.3L 'vette - especially because a 6.0L Escalade would be MORE durable than a 6.2L because it can work / play with 87.

Interesting! Thank you. Yes, I have found a few that were a couple hundred dollars less than the L94. I thought it to be a little funny. I will have to think about it and look at some more options for sure.

Thank you to everyone that has replied!

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off topic I know, but can you not just pull a few deg timing out of a 6.2 and run 87?
The first 12 months and 12k+ miles that we owned our 2007 6.2L L92 Denali we ran nothing but 87 & 89 unleaded. Gas mileage suffered.
I did get a "knock" message once or twice.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
L96 6.0L Non-AFM, Iron block Alum head 360hp / 380tq 9.6-1 motor.
L94 is the 6.2L AFM 403hp motor.
L92 is the 07 & 08 6.2L Non-AFM 380hp motor. Trucks & Esky had 403hp approx 07-14.
L9H is the one year only 09 ... nevermind, I'll just paste the app chart below

L96 Engine Years.PNG
L9H Specs.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coz3z3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Project is still underway and still looking for a motor. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. At this time, it's been put on hold just because of weather here and had a vacation and other things. I have the motor ready to come out. My only issue I'm having is the torque converter bolts. Since the motor is seized, I can't spin the converter to access the bolts. Any ideas? I can't fit a torch in there to cut the bolts. And I'm having a hell of a time trying to separate the converter from the trans itself. Thanks again!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only 2 ways I can think if, drop the oil pan and loosen the rods and main till you can turn it. or pull the converter out of the tranny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar