What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok.. I’ve been holding off a bit on providing an update for my parts install. Partly because I’m in the middle of moving, and partly because I’ve had a number of challenges, and have been doing my best to refrain from ranting about it.. so now I can rant..

If y’all remember, the transmission was sent with the 2wd output shaft, rather than the 4wd I ordered.. so trans was shipped back to Pa. Performabuilt received the transmission around 10:15, and it was back on the truck the same day at something like 1PM..!! Hell yeah Performabuilt..!! Trans gets back to the shop, the process took 2 weeks due to slow shipping.. meanwhile June 16th, I’m driving from Colorado to Texas, since I had already scheduled everything. Got a call from mechanic to inform me the FTI flexplate I ordered was for an 8-bolt crank and wouldn’t fit on my 6-bolt.. greeeat.. I asked him to source a local OEM flexplate, so I’d at least have a new part in there. Now I would have to go back to Denver, pickup the Yukon, and drive back again.. Arrived in Texas, unloaded the truck, my car in the 3rd garage, and hauled back out to Denver for another 2 day drive in a miserably uncomfortable, but excellent workhorse Penske International 26’ with the 4-wheel car hauler on it.. my buddy had to pickup the truck out of state, and drive it to Colorado, because there was zero availability for anything that size. Just nothing. Penske quoted me $8200 for Denver to Tyler, for a 5 day rental. Then told me they didn’t have a truck anyway..!
So I ended up spending around $1500-1800 in fuel just for the rental truck.. Nodak-to-Denver-to Tyler-back to Denver. Almost 3000 miles. Ok.. got back to Denver, dropped off the truck, and thankfully, had a good friend who loaned me his extra car for a week, while I waited for the Yukon to be finished.
Monday, June 20th, mechanic told me we would be able to start her up that afternoon.. so I headed down for the event. I had previously installed my “baseline” tune for the new cam, heads, etc.. to get her running that BBP provided previously. (Thank you to @BlackBearPerf for accommodating my request with my parts list!! Y’all are awesome..!) So we start her up.. there’s a nasty squeaking noise.. I’m kinda freaking out, thinking things are wearing down and something is definitely not right.. great! Now what.?

I hung around for a while, and asked mechanic to dig through everything, and see if there’s anything obvious, or damaged.. mechanic tore it down, removed transmission, etc… noise still there with no transmission, so that’s ruled out good..? I guess..? Spent the next week checking and reassembling.. this Monday, we started her back up.. same noise..
I decided, due to time constraints, $$ to stay in a hotel while I waited for the truck, I just would drive the 500 break in miles, then check her oil and trans fluid out, and plan to head out to Texas, if there was nothing too sparkly in the pan(s)..
Since my daughters bird is with us, I couldn’t stay in Texas while it was worked on, and fly back out to pick up the Yukon. The bird makes things difficult.. and expensive.. spent about 3k on the hotel the last 2 weeks.. o_O
So today I decided to go visit @Fless , who is about a 50 minute drive one way (45 with a lead foot).. we were able to hang out and BS a bit, had a nice dinner, and hooked up his Tech2, since in my haste, I’d left mine back in Texas. Everything looked good from the Tech2, but I did determine my OBD2 port seems to be flaky.. both our Tech2’s lose connection with it constantly. I initially thought it was my clone, but his also did it, and he had never had that issue. So.. something else I’ll have to fix.. ahem, anyway, all looked well.. I was actually not sure if the trans had been slipping a bit, just since I’m not used to the new torque converter stall @2800. (I’m a noob, apologies..)now, after I started the truck back up, after arriving at @Fless house, the squeak seemed to be gone..! Subsequently, each time I stopped, and restarted her, seemed quieter. So I believe I just needed to drive a bit of break in miles to get the new parts happy in their places, and now she sounds pretty damn good! Drove back to my hotel, and waited approximately 35-40 minutes, so still warm, but then took a video.. she sounds like she should..!

So, hopefully that’s all good, and I can get as close to 500 break in miles as possible before July 4th. I’ll be heading back to Tx on the 5th.

Power is definitely a noticeable difference..! Transmission shifts absolutely wonderful and solid. When I’m on the freeway it seems like I have a couple extra gears, she’s so responsive..! Barely moving the accelerator will invoke a downshift, and barely any throttle provides an immediate 10+ mph increase, and a wide grin.. I still need to data log, to get her fine tuned, but since I don’t have my PC with me, will have to wait until I get home.

One thing I hadn’t expected, or at least, didn’t expect as much of a difference, is the exhaust is MUCH louder at low speeds. She’s never been quiet, since I did the ARH longtubes, and magnaflow 18”, but man the cam / heads obviously breathe so much better, it sounds like I’m really getting on it while barely accelerating.! So an additional, or possibly just longer muffler is in my future. I don’t mind loud, when I’m getting on it, but she’s downright obnoxious now! :lol2:

Sorry I don’t have much in regard to pics or videos. I’m really bummed I wasn’t able to participate in the install, due to the moving fiasco.

I can attest to it sounding great! Yes, it's loud when you get on it, but man it's a thrill! :D

I'm having second thoughts about the OBD port being bad. I would bet that something is interfering with the data connection (this is after you make all of your initial selections in the Tech 2) and that causes the Tech 2 to immediately disconnect when you try to read data. From what I've been reading I would suspect the aftermarket radio, the remote start or, less likely, the HVAC controller. You might try to power each of those down one by one and attempt reading the data each time. Just a suggestion when you get back to Texas and have time to check it out, and I'd be curious if any of that works. We should have checked it with my other little code reader to see if it would read data.

Safe travels after the holiday weekend!

Last edited:

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the Tahoe in for it's 15 day after trans rebuild checkup and saw they had this ratrod they were building - ala Mad Max.

Attachments

• 20220630_101529.jpg
    20220630_101529.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220630_101536.jpg
    20220630_101536.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220630_101713.jpg
    20220630_101713.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220630_102628.jpg
    20220630_102628.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220630_102636.jpg
    20220630_102636.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 4

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas at $4.51 in Chillicothe today if you're going that route.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I can attest to it sounding great! Yes, it's loud when you get on it, but man it's a thrill! :D

I'm having second thoughts about the OBD port being bad. I would bet that something is interfering with the data connection (this is after you make all of your initial selections in the Tech 2) and that causes the Tech 2 to immediately disconnect when you try to read data. From what I've been reading I would suspect the aftermarket radio, the remote start or, less likely, the HVAC controller. You might try to power each of those down one by one and attempt reading the data each time. Just a suggestion when you get back to Texas and have time to check it out, and I'd be curious if any of that works. We should have checked it with my other little code reader to see if it would read data.

Safe travels after the holiday weekend!
I have the same issue with my Tech 2 and Tahoe. It's very frustrating. I also have an aftermarket radio and auto start. I have an aftermarket radio in my 05 Express, but I don't have the lost communication issue with it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my Tech 2 and Tahoe. It's very frustrating. I also have an aftermarket radio and auto start. I have an aftermarket radio in my 05 Express, but I don't have the lost communication issue with it.

I have an aftermarket radio in mine and don't have any trouble with the Tech 2. Just needed to pull the radio fuse when programming modules. All the diagnostics work with the radio fuse in place. Wonder if both yours and Sam's have to do with the remote start?

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket radio in mine and don't have any trouble with the Tech 2. Just needed to pull the radio fuse when programming modules. All the diagnostics work with the radio fuse in place. Wonder if both of yours have to do with the remote start?
I only have remote start in the Tahoe--I hope I didn't confuse anyone--don't have it in the van.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I only have remote start in the Tahoe--I hope I didn't confuse anyone--don't have it in the van.

But it's the Tahoe that has an issue with the Tech 2 connection, right? (By "both of yours" I meant yours and Sam's. Sorry that was unclear.) Does a cheapie code reader work in the Tahoe?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia