New Here w/ an '01 Tahoe 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayburn22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello and hope everyone is having a great year so far!

Pops gave me his '01 Tahoe a few months back after my '01 Blazers transmission blew @ 310K.

Luckily my father is a true Hoss and found himself an '09 Escalade to keep himself busy. We got the '01 Tahoe off a work buddy about 16 years ago.

We recently replaced the water pump, I just purchased 4 new tires & alignment. I purchased a new aftermarket headlight assembly as the original passenger side was busted and was stuck up shooting into outer space.. I also have a cheap aftermarket pair of tail lights coming as the ones currently are not necessarily horrible, but someone scraped the heck out of the passenger side one. Nothing fancy just want it to look clean.

I had to get the windshield replaced the other day as it always had a tiny crack and I think the carwash 3 weeks ago managed to damage it and it started to crack in all directions. While I was sitting at the auto glass shop owned by a friend I overheard him talking to a customer that went to the same carwash and their windshield cracked the next day.. I told him "I was there 2 days before this thing started cracking!" and he said that they get a lot of customers because of that specific car wash. Safe to say I'll be washing it myself from here out!

I've probably invested more in the last 4 months than my pops did over that 16 years hehe.. Currently has 160K miles on it and crossing my fingers this thing will last me a couple years or more. I've always owned Chevy/GMC's and feel more than comfortable with this as my daily driver, I do not drive much besides to work or occasionally visit family.

Only issue(s) currently is the Knock Sensors.. fortunately pops is a mechanic and I believe I purchased new sensors or a kit that he needs to install prior to inspection later this year. P0327 & P0332 for Low Input Bank 1 & 2 respectfully. Other than that I just want to fix up the tailgate as the Pewter Metallic paint has been bubbling and peeling right near the keyhole on the tailgate.. I absolutely hate the Pewter Metallic color but oh well. I'm waiting for the weather to break and warm up and I'll try and work some magic.

We left the rims from an old Yukon on it and I'd like to replace the GMC dust-covers, I tried ordering a blank pair online but they didn't fit. Least of my worries though and they look better than the Chevy's we've got buried in the backyard behind the garage hehe.

Anyway apologies for the lengthy introduction.. Smooth Sailing!

Attachments

• IMG_20240207_165505101_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240207_165505101_HDR.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240207_165453416_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240207_165453416_HDR.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20231214_171227813.jpg
    IMG_20231214_171227813.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240202_142240052.jpg
    IMG_20240202_142240052.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240117_202730628.jpg
    IMG_20240117_202730628.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
jayburn22

jayburn22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

That's a remarkably clean Tahoe! Very nice truck! Very low mileage too.

Thanks fellas!

I still can't believe how clean the outside is compared to some of my older S10 Blazers I owned that got ate up by the Winters here in NJ.. fortunately the last few Winters have been pretty mild.

There is some rust towards the back on the drivers side seen in the 1st picture, I am going to try the neutralizer in a few weeks when it gets warmer out and I've got a can of Perfect Match Pewter Metallic. I looked into fender flares/molding but I do not like the styles they come in.. especially over the Pewter Met. I am NOT a fan of the Pewter Met paint "color" but it does look nice in the right light.

Inside is very clean as neither of us ever had many passengers, it did take the shop an extra hour or two the 1st time I dropped it off to get detailed since pops is a mechanic and always had some tools, grease, and whatever else laying around.

Leather is clean and great shape besides for the drivers seat as you can see the rip on the outside. I tossed the 3rd row back in as pops was yapping about space in the garage.. Glad I did because now I've got some "shelf" space for my tools and work stuff lol. I even ripped out the OnStar buttons on the dash and popped in a GMT800 cell phone mount I found on eBay for $20.

I love these trucks.. I'd love to get this one to break 300K. I briefly had a beat up '99 Expedition that a neighbor gave me cheap after my Blazer died, the thing was actually super clean and had about 180K on it.. but of course the timing chain was knocking a hole into the timing cover and leaking oil everywhere. My father along with about a half dozen other mechanics refused to take the job so I sold it off cheap.. pops told me get rid of the Ford and you can have the Chevy. Deal! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20231228_171927403.jpg
    IMG_20231228_171927403.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20231217_205554743.jpg
    IMG_20231217_205554743.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20231217_204844364.jpg
    IMG_20231217_204844364.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231217_205610231.jpg
    IMG_20231217_205610231.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 12

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami&Queens NY!

Nice low mileage Tahoe! I have no doubt it was extremely well maintained. Looks to be in overall excellent condition.

I would stay out of automatic car washes. I either go the self service or hand car wash. But that is just me.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello and hope everyone is having a great year so far!

Pops gave me his '01 Tahoe a few months back after my '01 Blazers transmission blew @ 310K.

Luckily my father is a true Hoss and found himself an '09 Escalade to keep himself busy. We got the '01 Tahoe off a work buddy about 16 years ago.

We recently replaced the water pump, I just purchased 4 new tires & alignment. I purchased a new aftermarket headlight assembly as the original passenger side was busted and was stuck up shooting into outer space.. I also have a cheap aftermarket pair of tail lights coming as the ones currently are not necessarily horrible, but someone scraped the heck out of the passenger side one. Nothing fancy just want it to look clean.

I had to get the windshield replaced the other day as it always had a tiny crack and I think the carwash 3 weeks ago managed to damage it and it started to crack in all directions. While I was sitting at the auto glass shop owned by a friend I overheard him talking to a customer that went to the same carwash and their windshield cracked the next day.. I told him "I was there 2 days before this thing started cracking!" and he said that they get a lot of customers because of that specific car wash. Safe to say I'll be washing it myself from here out!

I've probably invested more in the last 4 months than my pops did over that 16 years hehe.. Currently has 160K miles on it and crossing my fingers this thing will last me a couple years or more. I've always owned Chevy/GMC's and feel more than comfortable with this as my daily driver, I do not drive much besides to work or occasionally visit family.

Only issue(s) currently is the Knock Sensors.. fortunately pops is a mechanic and I believe I purchased new sensors or a kit that he needs to install prior to inspection later this year. P0327 & P0332 for Low Input Bank 1 & 2 respectfully. Other than that I just want to fix up the tailgate as the Pewter Metallic paint has been bubbling and peeling right near the keyhole on the tailgate.. I absolutely hate the Pewter Metallic color but oh well. I'm waiting for the weather to break and warm up and I'll try and work some magic.

We left the rims from an old Yukon on it and I'd like to replace the GMC dust-covers, I tried ordering a blank pair online but they didn't fit. Least of my worries though and they look better than the Chevy's we've got buried in the backyard behind the garage hehe.

Anyway apologies for the lengthy introduction.. Smooth Sailing!
Highly recommend you look into heater hose quick connects and a dorman metal Y assembly it was one of the only things to fail on my 01 Yukon XL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660