Vibration issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Find an old school tire or suspension shop with the tools to spin it on the truck. Whatever it is, that will find it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You feel it in the steering wheel or in your butt? I have what I'd describe as a similar shake. I'm suspecting driveshaft/U-joint issue. I'm kinda wanting to keep telling myself it's that so I stay prompted to upgrade my driveshaft and U-joints cuz that should be done anyway.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u-joints, driveshaft, pinion bearing.
drop the shaft and check the u-joints and see if the pinion has any play in it.
personally I would not be concerned with the hubs or tie-rods unless they have detectable play/wear
hubs will make noise/trigger abs, tie-rods will cause sloppy steering/tire wear, wobble.
ball joints/control arms will just make noise, popping, snapping.
I drive the piss out of mine the only time I have had vibration issue's it was u-joints/pinion and a bent wheel once.
if you haven't serviced the rear diff it might be worth checking just to see if there is any metal in there.

OP
OP
Kee Fuller

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You feel it in the steering wheel or in your butt? I have what I'd describe as a similar shake. I'm suspecting driveshaft/U-joint issue. I'm kinda wanting to keep telling myself it's that so I stay prompted to upgrade my driveshaft and U-joints cuz that should be done anyway.
Steering wheel and butt. I even look over and see the pax seat shaking a bit

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get nauseous at the "cop truck" remarks, or was it just me? :mexsmoke:

I agree with the majority, you've ruled out the wheels/tires. Since its at speed, it is surely in the drivetrain. The easiest thing you can do yourself is rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees as @George B mentioned. No change, probably not your suspect. If the shimmy moves to a different speed after rotating it, or gets worse/better, you've found your culprit. Otherwise, zero change means you can move on. KISS method really applies here, if nothing else to rule out the easy stuff.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only starts at the same speed every drive that can be indicative of two or more parts resonating together at the same frequency. So instead of one going up and one going down, two variables are going up and down at the same time (vibrating/shaking).

Since you've ruled out the wheels with all the various combos you've had on the truck, and there's so many potential candidates to cause a vibration, it may be cheapest/easiest to start with the low hanging fruit like tire pressure and bushings, then work your way up from there.

Grasping here, but were all the wheels/tires done at the same place? if so, there's always a chance they just don't know what they're doing. A good and proper road force balance takes skill. And always get the numbers from them for each one if they don't provide it. Same with alignment.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive a 2013 PPV. Still trying to figure out why my truck starts to shake at the wheel when i get around the 75-80mph mark. Wheels are brand new and not bent, tires are brand new, been road balanced a few times, truck had a negative camber when i went down from 24s to 22s. Got a new alignment and its still slightly negative. Truck is lowered as well. Should i look at replacing the tie rod ends, front upper and lower control arms?
Maximum play allowed for upper and lower ball joints is .5mm. Max play for inner and outer tie rods is 1mm.

Don't forget the control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings and end links and the two bushings in the steering rack that mount it to the frame.

OP
OP
Kee Fuller

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maximum play allowed for upper and lower ball joints is .5mm. Max play for inner and outer tie rods is 1mm.

Don't forget the control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings and end links and the two bushings in the steering rack that mount it to the frame.
End links and sway bar bushings were changed last year when i added the eibach sway bar. Another thing i can zero out thankfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442