Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front left outside of tire wore down so I got 2 new fronts. I’ve been under it with my pry bar but nothing obvious except maybe a little problem with lower control arm bushing so I’m headed in too. Thankfully the right was great and I had an extra rim. Gotta get tpms for it though.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that last tank of fuel wasn't as bad as I thought. We'd driven the truck about 80 miles in city driving before heading off to Cocoa and Sanford and back. DIC had not been reset for several tanks and started off at 15.0 and finished at 15.7. A trip like that should have been in the 17s on gasoline. That tank had a remnant of 5 gallons of 96 octane mixed fuel along with 4 gallons of E85 and 22 gallons of Unleaded 88/E15. That should work out to a most economical high octane fuel to run. Alcohol content was right at 20% and octane rating calculated to an r+M of 91+. Anyhow, truck went 421 miles using 25.7 gallons for 16.38 MPG at a cost of fourteen cents a mile. Pretty cheap running! Should do better with an alignment.

Speaking of which, I hope to get that done this week before Thanksgiving.

Bought two bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus and put them in the tank with 27.72 gallons of Chevron's 93 octane gasoline. Cost a pretty penny but it's to see how she does on the highway this week.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Gotta love a gas war blast from the past. They’d pop up occasionally in Cali during the 70’s & 80’s. Sam’s Club and Costco are matching each other’s pricing on fuel. Local price is $3.85 and 30 mi away is 60¢ less on Cali’s highest grade fuel, 91 octane.

This will the third fill up we’ve gotten to take advantage of this and put almost $50 back in our pocket.

ffbecee1096412aae746ff2e1a3c8d20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love a gas war blast from the past. They’d pop up occasionally in Cali during the 70’s & 80’s. Sam’s Club and Costco are matching each other’s pricing on fuel. Local price is $3.85 and 30 mi away is 60¢ less on Cali’s highest grade fuel, 91 octane.

This will the third fill up we’ve gotten to take advantage of this and put almost $50 back in our pocket.

ffbecee1096412aae746ff2e1a3c8d20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The savings adds up to be a substantial sum when you can take advantage of it!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, explain that formula and why you went that route please. Anywhere that doesn’t have a Kroger should get one by petition. 10 cents off gas for every $100 in groceries but where I make out is 10 cents for 2 Rx’s. Being a California native I’m sure it wouldn’t be allowed. Unfortunately we have more than $1 per gallon every month. It’s a hard way to get that but it’s good for 35 gallons or split up the buck and get more. Shell 93 is $2.85 here in the hills.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, explain that formula and why you went that route please. Anywhere that doesn’t have a Kroger should get one by petition. 10 cents off gas for every $100 in groceries but where I make out is 10 cents for 2 Rx’s. Being a California native I’m sure it wouldn’t be allowed. Unfortunately we have more than $1 per gallon every month. It’s a hard way to get that but it’s good for 35 gallons or split up the buck and get more. Shell 93 is $2.85 here in the hills.

What formula? Gas Buddy has deals, often 1 to 15 cents off per gallon up to 20 or 30 gallons but always seem to miss those. Local grocery chain has a $50 gas card for forty dollars is you spend $50 in groceries. Problem there for us is that we rarely spend that much in that store, it's more expensive than Wally World or Aldis and Sam's Club. We've got Shell stations all around us but they kill the gas mileage in every car we own now and in the past thirty years it seems too.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What formula? Gas Buddy has deals, often 1 to 15 cents off per gallon up to 20 or 30 gallons but always seem to miss those. Local grocery chain has a $50 gas card for forty dollars is you spend $50 in groceries. Problem there for us is that we rarely spend that much in that store, it's more expensive than Wally World or Aldis and Sam's Club. We've got Shell stations all around us but they kill the gas mileage in every car we own now and in the past thirty years it seems too.
I think he was referring to the content of the fuel tank..?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, explain that formula and why you went that route please.

I think he was referring to the content of the fuel tank..?

Ok. Made an excel spreadsheet that calculates octane and alcohol content depending on what fuel is used and also what the cost would be for each fuel and combined to compare potential savings. We know what the octane ratings for a given fuel are but ethanol content is never exact but try to get close and verify with scan tool. Does this help?:

upload_2019-11-25_1-21-41.png

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Well, that last tank of fuel wasn't as bad as I thought. We'd driven the truck about 80 miles in city driving before heading off to Cocoa and Sanford and back. DIC had not been reset for several tanks and started off at 15.0 and finished at 15.7. A trip like that should have been in the 17s on gasoline. That tank had a remnant of 5 gallons of 96 octane mixed fuel along with 4 gallons of E85 and 22 gallons of Unleaded 88/E15. That should work out to a most economical high octane fuel to run. Alcohol content was right at 20% and octane rating calculated to an r+M of 91+. Anyhow, truck went 421 miles using 25.7 gallons for 16.38 MPG at a cost of fourteen cents a mile. Pretty cheap running! Should do better with an alignment.

Speaking of which, I hope to get that done this week before Thanksgiving.

Bought two bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus and put them in the tank with 27.72 gallons of Chevron's 93 octane gasoline. Cost a pretty penny but it's to see how she does on the highway this week.
Man with all the up and down hills bere I’m at 14.3 MPG average. But thats with my cam and leveling kit so I’m not doing too bad. Do you have the 4 speed or 6 speed?
Edit: turning phone sideways shows ur sig, which states 6 speed.

Ok. Made an excel spreadsheet that calculates octane and alcohol content depending on what fuel is used and also what the cost would be for each fuel and combined to compare potential savings. We know what the octane ratings for a given fuel are but ethanol content is never exact but try to get close and verify with scan tool. Does this help?:

View attachment 234814
can you upload that spreadsheet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2