Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I did something I hadn't done in decades. I bought a factory paper air filter! Picked up a high capacity GM/ACDelco air filter 15908915/A3085C and replaced the K&N that had been in there for about a year. These are twice as thick. Anyhow, found a good deal on ebay and bought another. Went to replace it today and was shocked to see how clean it was. Literally looked no different from the NOS one I'd just bought. Put it back in. Checked my log and it's been in for almost a year and about 12k miles.

The cabin filter wasn't much different but we changed that one as it got mangled coming out.

Going to give the K&N 33-2129 to the kids to sell. Changed the oil and filter and took a sample to send off to Blackstone. Just over 4K miles this time. Went back to K&N HP-2011 oil filter.

We tried to change the upstream O2 sensors but had a hard time getting the wrench on them with room to move, lost patience and kids were getting cranky for dinner! Another day.

Dash cam is in but still in the box, hub on the way, front brake parts are trickling in.

Oh, my reading shows that Mobil is the supplier for Walmart's SuperTech oil. Had already bought the supplies for this oil change but am going to put the other two vehicles on it and maybe this truck next time around. Thoughts?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year I did something I hadn't done in decades. I bought a factory paper air filter! Picked up a high capacity GM/ACDelco air filter 15908915/A3085C and replaced the K&N that had been in there for about a year. These are twice as thick. Anyhow, found a good deal on ebay and bought another. Went to replace it today and was shocked to see how clean it was. Literally looked no different from the NOS one I'd just bought. Put it back in. Checked my log and it's been in for almost a year and about 12k miles.

The cabin filter wasn't much different but we changed that one as it got mangled coming out.

Going to give the K&N 33-2129 to the kids to sell. Changed the oil and filter and took a sample to send off to Blackstone. Just over 4K miles this time. Went back to K&N HP-2011 oil filter.

We tried to change the upstream O2 sensors but had a hard time getting the wrench on them with room to move, lost patience and kids were getting cranky for dinner! Another day.

Dash cam is in but still in the box, hub on the way, front brake parts are trickling in.

Oh, my reading shows that Mobil is the supplier for Walmart's SuperTech oil. Had already bought the supplies for this oil change but am going to put the other two vehicles on it and maybe this truck next time around. Thoughts?

Without reading up on anything i say why not? We all know many of the things we buy today are simply rebranded from all major suppliers/producers.

James, ive been using fram oil filters since high school, on every car ive ever owned. ive only used acdelco or mobil1 on the 13 hoe for 2 reasons. one reason was that in the back of head there was this nagging thought that someone said to me in high school, ‘you can’t use those shit orange filters they’re garbage’ yet I continued to use them. Then i read somewhere, maybe here, maybe bobistheoilguy, I don’t know but people complaining about them blowing out and being poorly made, not filtering etc. The second reason was the whole afm, oil useage, failing lifters on that gen truck so I figured ‘if’ anything were to happen GM couldn’t blame my oil filter.

I still use them, never had a problem in 25-30 years of oil changes. Matter of fact i used to use quaker state oil in everything (except the 13 hoe) until I switched over to full synthetic oils.

My honda is at 350,000 on fram oil filters and no issues...whatsoever. Yeah, it has full synthetic mobil1 oci’s at 10-12k maybe more but for a ‘******’ filter its never done me wrong.

My point is, I don’t know who makes fram and I don’t care, i know its cheaper than others and never gave me a problem so i say go ahead, if supertech oil cheaper and does the same thing that the big boys do, go for it. My 2 bits.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without reading up on anything i say why not? We all know many of the things we buy today are simply rebranded from all major suppliers/producers.

James, ive been using fram oil filters since high school, on every car ive ever owned. ive only used acdelco or mobil1 on the 13 hoe for 2 reasons. one reason was that in the back of head there was this nagging thought that someone said to me in high school, ‘you can’t use those shit orange filters they’re garbage’ yet I continued to use them. Then i read somewhere, maybe here, maybe bobistheoilguy, I don’t know but people complaining about them blowing out and being poorly made, not filtering etc. The second reason was the whole afm, oil useage, failing lifters on that gen truck so I figured ‘if’ anything were to happen GM couldn’t blame my oil filter.

I still use them, never had a problem in 25-30 years of oil changes. Matter of fact i used to use quaker state oil in everything (except the 13 hoe) until I switched over to full synthetic oils.

My honda is at 350,000 on fram oil filters and no issues...whatsoever. Yeah, it has full synthetic mobil1 oci’s at 10-12k maybe more but for a ‘******’ filter its never done me wrong.

My point is, I don’t know who makes fram and I don’t care, i know its cheaper than others and never gave me a problem so i say go ahead, if supertech oil cheaper and does the same thing that the big boys do, go for it. My 2 bits.

Thanks Pete. I've run those FRAM filters too in my other cars as well. When we were broke, sometimes we'd reset the oil life monitor 2 or 3 times and the filters never gave us problems. I liked the ones with the black grip, made install/removal easier.

I was even thinking of running Quaker State, just hadn't looked up the specs to compare it to Mobil One yet. 6 quarts of oil and the K&N filter from Wally World was nearly $51 including tax.

I ran the long filter because it's easier to get the wrench on it. Then saw the K&N with the 1" nut, even better, but they just went from $9 to $14. Yeah, my special cars always got the M1 and AC filters too! LOL I'd like to get a Yukon or Tahoe for my wife, the old Montana is on her last legs and we're sending a daughter off to college this summer too, so it's time to be frugal again.

Goodness I'm rambling! Time for bed but enjoying the painted buntings at the feeder.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished the last tank of fuel. Alcohol content for this tank of E30 was but 20%! I don't mind, the truck ran even better on it. Gas mileage was essentially the same as last time at 15.38 MPG but the average speed was about 5 mph less and the motor ran for nearly 2 hours more, lots more idling. Seventeen days between fueling, was shocked to see prices shoot up so much since the last time. Paid $.36 cents more per gallon.

All the supplies and parts are in now for doing the front brakes and hub. Funny, one rotor weighs more than the entire box containing my daughter's rotors and brakes and hardware for her little KIA! Hopefully next week for mine, hers Saturday. Dash cam came in too and tested it last night and now need to hook it up and hide the wires next. Replaced the cowl end caps, the part where the hood hinge passes through, looks so much nicer! Need to scrounge up some bolts for the transfer case skid plate and the truck desperately needs a waxing.

Blood Sugar giving me fits and not feeling myself, no car work as much as I want to for safety's sake. Think I'll go watch some old movies and westerns. Have a good weekend fellas!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just finished the last tank of fuel. Alcohol content for this tank of E30 was but 20%! I don't mind, the truck ran even better on it. Gas mileage was essentially the same as last time at 15.38 MPG but the average speed was about 5 mph less and the motor ran for nearly 2 hours more, lots more idling. Seventeen days between fueling, was shocked to see prices shoot up so much since the last time. Paid $.36 cents more per gallon.

All the supplies and parts are in now for doing the front brakes and hub. Funny, one rotor weighs more than the entire box containing my daughter's rotors and brakes and hardware for her little KIA! Hopefully next week for mine, hers Saturday. Dash cam came in too and tested it last night and now need to hook it up and hide the wires next. Replaced the cowl end caps, the part where the hood hinge passes through, looks so much nicer! Need to scrounge up some bolts for the transfer case skid plate and the truck desperately needs a waxing.

Blood Sugar giving me fits and not feeling myself, no car work as much as I want to for safety's sake. Think I'll go watch some old movies and westerns. Have a good weekend fellas!
Make sure you take care of yourself. Diabetes is no joke.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, feeling much better today. Yesterday was a rollercoaster, going from low to high and back with regards to sugars. It does this every once in a while. Audie Murphy westerns helped pass the time. Started feeling better late last night and hooked up the dash cam and took the truck out for a spin. I didn't fully understand the instructions so the camera was shutting down after 3 minutes but while it was on, it was taking video only if it sensed movement! I'll fix that later when we go outside to do the brakes on the Kia. Maybe, looking kinda hot out today... Yeah, no, mid 80s already. Won't do it tonight either as it's the last night of the county fair which the kids want to attend again of course.

This time last year high test was the same price as today; $3.09 per gallon. Right after the cats were replaced, she burned through 4 tanks of 93 octane gasoline and averaged 15.46 mpg @ 32.8 mph average speed. Currently have 3 tanks of E30 under our belt for an average of 14.95 mpg @ 33.21 mph average. One of the former was almost all highway and one of the latter was almost all city driving. Not bad though for E30 compared with 93. $3.40 a gallon average for gasoline versus $2.11 average for E30.

I don't know how these Sunoco stations are going to survive. They just don't seem busy enough compared with the other stations, their C-stores are of the old style, not like Racetrac and WaWa, and those places are as busy as a highway service plaza all the time.

Reaction score
Too hot?? I wish it was warmer here. Currently 35 and we're supposed to get more snow overnight and tomorrow totalling from 3"-8" depending on specific location.

I really hate this up and down weather. One day it'll be 50s and 60s, the next day 20s!

I cant wait until the 22nd. We are going on spring break vacation. Driving down to New Orleans for a few days, then driving over to Destin, Florida for a few more. 10 days total, getting back home Sunday the 31st.

It'll be the first big/long trip we've taken with a NNBS. We've only gone from STL to Mizzou in Columbia a few times doing college stuff with the boy. That's only about 2hrs each way though.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too hot?? I wish it was warmer here. Currently 35 and we're supposed to get more snow overnight and tomorrow totalling from 3"-8" depending on specific location.

I really hate this up and down weather. One day it'll be 50s and 60s, the next day 20s!

I cant wait until the 22nd. We are going on spring break vacation. Driving down to New Orleans for a few days, then driving over to Destin, Florida for a few more. 10 days total, getting back home Sunday the 31st.

It'll be the first big/long trip we've taken with a NNBS. We've only gone from STL to Mizzou in Columbia a few times doing college stuff with the boy. That's only about 2hrs each way though.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

Yeah, been under the weather so to speak and still weak. Doing brakes outside right now would just put me down again. Sounds like a nice trip coming up! Well, you know you'll love the extra length for storage and comfort. Will be taking my daughter to college in Pensacola over the summer, debating whether or not to tow her car to school or have her drive it. Leaning towards the latter so she gains experience and familiarity with making the runs for later.

You guys been to the USS Alabama and USS Drum over in Mobile? And if you go, stop by Felix's Fish Camp for lunch!

Reaction score
Yeah, been under the weather so to speak and still weak. Doing brakes outside right now would just put me down again. Sounds like a nice trip coming up! Well, you know you'll love the extra length for storage and comfort. Will be taking my daughter to college in Pensacola over the summer, debating whether or not to tow her car to school or have her drive it. Leaning towards the latter so she gains experience and familiarity with making the runs for later.

You guys been to the USS Alabama and USS Drum over in Mobile? And if you go, stop by Felix's Fish Camp for lunch!
Thanks for the heads up on the USS Alabama!

I talked to my wife about it. Since we will be driving through Mobile on our way to Destin, she said that's a good idea. Stop off for a few hours and check out that Memorial Park with the battleship, sub, and aircraft hangar.

The last time we were in
New Orleans a couple years ago we spent a day at the WWII museum

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076