Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outerorbiter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish! Still $2.2X to $2.4x around here!

Thomas, when you say the 88 blend, do you mean E15? If your ride was built after 2000, it's been said that it can safely be used in lieu of E10/Pump Gas.
When the station first opened the particular pumps were labeled flex fuel on a orange sticker now I am pretty sure it says E 88. I’ll swing by tomorrow and post a pic. My Yukon is a 2007 so it’s ok for it. However didn’t know if it would matter to suddenly swap after 10+ years of normal gas.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the station first opened the particular pumps were labeled flex fuel on a orange sticker now I am pretty sure it says E 88. I’ll swing by tomorrow and post a pic. My Yukon is a 2007 so it’s ok for it. However didn’t know if it would matter to suddenly swap after 10+ years of normal gas.

Not necessarily, the LY5 was available until 2009 and was not a FlexFuel engine. If your gas cap is yellow (motor is LMG or LC9) you can run it. I have no idea if mine was ever on it before the eight years until we bought it, it loves the stuff.

outerorbiter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not necessarily, the LY5 was available until 2009 and was not a FlexFuel engine. If your gas cap is yellow (motor is LMG or LC9) you can run it. I have no idea if mine was ever on it before the eight years until we bought it, it loves the stuff.
It’s badged flex fuel w/yellow cap. Thanks for the info

Reaction score
I'm due to take on fuel soon, might try it out too. How do you like the new truck and the extra length?

I'm liking it a lot. I don't notice the extra length when driving it, I guess I'm already used to it...lol

We love the extra space in the back and not having to flip one or both of the 3rd row seats up to put stuff back there like groceries. On our trips out to Mizzou, my daughter takes over the 3rd row and my wife sits on the passenger side of the 2nd row and reclines and they'll watch a movie with the headphones on while I listen to my XM station, all while our luggage is out of the way in the cargo area. Plus when tailgating before a game that larger cargo area is great!

I've noticed that the 2nd row seats are located rearward a bit more and give more foot/legroom than on the SWB (found that out when I put my Husky weatherbeater 2nd row liner in from my 2011 and it didn't cover all the way to the base of the buckets and ordered the correct one). Plus the extra foot/legroom for the 3rd row and how it actually has a footwell and not just sitting on a ramped floor.

That extra legroom has also come in handy when we've gone to dinner with in-laws and other adults, they all fit comfortably and not cramped

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm liking it a lot. I don't notice the extra length when driving it, I guess I'm already used to it...lol

That's awesome. So glad that you and your little ones recovered from that accident with the other one.

We've just gone through a tough spell financially and several times I went to sell the truck but my wife and children forbade it! We used the truck to pull a friend's trailer that we used for moving, saving the expense and hassle of a rental.

Over the years I've owned a bunch of race cars, a jeep for off-roading, a pickup truck for hauling stuff around. In the 18 months we've had this Yukon XL we've done everything those three types of vehicles did with it and in luxury and have taken road trips with it too!

I didn't know that about the 2nd row with regards to the SWB models, or the 3rd row floor for that matter, cool. My wife thinks it's too long but has no trouble driving it. I reckon that if she were to test drive one of the short ones she'd not notice the difference. She keeps talking about retiring the Pontiac Montana for an Acadia or Terrain and her only complaint about driving the XL is climbing in and out of it every day with her bad back and hip and knee. I said that if we got a Tahoe or Yukon we'd do that drop kit (3-2) to bring it down a couple inches. Get her one of the XFE models that gets better gas mileage around town then mine and run highway tires on it.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard numbers.

A few pages ago I wrote about the mileage while towing during the moves. I'm not sure things are as they seemed.

When calamity struck, I had just put the truck on E85 and wanted to top off the tank before hitching the trailer so we topped off on gasoline the next day. Over a period of 12 days the truck burned 54.9 gallons of fuel with 32 hours of run time and averaged 9.2 mpg. One third of that fuel was 93 octane gasoline, the rest was E85. The truck made 10 trips towing in 505 miles.

The night before picking up the trailer in preparation to move our belongings from storage to our new home we took on E85 once again. The truck made 6 trips towing in one day and a final one several days later after I recovered! She burned 22.10 gallons over 12 hours and averaged just 7.47 mpg. We went 165 miles on that tank but it sure felt more powerful and I remember the DIC instant MPG being slightly higher and the mileage not dropping as fast while idling. However, until very recently, I'd always reset the AVG MPG counter and had let it alone the last couple of tanks. It said 10.4 mpg today after the most recent few tanks.

On another note, I did not air up the tires after the cold front came through last night. Tires were down about 3-4 pounds and that surely affects mileage. Will reset them tomorrow as it looks like the weather will remain about the same through Thanksgiving.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was up in Melbourne yesterday and topped off with E85 for $1.839 at a station called Pro-Energy and listed on GasBuddy as a Marathon. On the north side of my home county a Sunoco up there has it now for $2.119.

Last tank was at 76% alcohol content. After taking on 14 gallons it is now 73%.

Was resetting the air pressure this morning. Yesterday the truck felt like one side wanted to drive faster than the other, the air was off 4 psi from the other side. We pulled over and evened it up some and finished the run.

Battery is just over 2 years old and 23 months since installation. Voltage was in the 11s when I paid attention to it, the compressor was airing up the tires with the motor off. I think the Tech2 said the beginning voltage was 12.37. State of charge and temps and such all looked fine. The battery is an AC Delco 48PS, 30 month warranty. I think its from the Silver line.

Started the motor and she almost died, hung on sputtering much longer than usual for E85 in cool weather and finally caught and ran normal. Threw a P1400 which I cleared. Guess I'll do a once over for vacuum leaks later. Thoughts or suggestions?

I almost always remote start truck and when running FlexFuel and the temp is in the 60s or below the motor usually stalls on the first start, presumably because the fuel is too cold for the motor's liking. Always starts and runs fine afterwards, even in the 30s.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no input since I've never ran more than E10. But I'm glad you mentioned this because if I fill up with E85 this winter ("winter" used loosely), I'd like to know that it could have such symptoms and that it's normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC