Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A member whose name is lost to me now showed us how to replace the grommets at the bottom of our airboxes. To do so, we have to purchase a new mounting plate.

GMPartsGiant had them for about $14 so I bought one. The part number is 23425108.

Attachments

• 20230629_182913.jpg
    20230629_182913.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230629_183037.jpg
    20230629_183037.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230629_183049.jpg
    20230629_183049.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230629_182927.jpg
    20230629_182927.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the next thing was to put new foam around the airbox to keep hot engine air out as the old foam has seen better days. You keep the original foam and slip this inside of it and it clips in place. Pretty ingenious I thought. The air cleaner seal is part number 22844822 and was also purchased from GMPartsGiant.

20230629_182919.jpg20230629_184453.jpg20230629_184457.jpg20230629_184513.jpg

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been taking a break from the forum again as my eyes are shot.

In the meantime, we've been having the trucks cleaned and detailed and amassing parts for the 2012s overhaul. We picked up those brand new HD towing brakes from ACDelco with all new calipers, brackets, pads and specially cut and coated rotors. The calipers say ACDelco on them.

On the Yukon XL, we replaced all 4 exterior door handles along with 8 of the nine speakers and boy did that make a difference! She sounds better than ever. Used GM OE Bose speakers.

Want to replace the subwoofer, I believe the unit is a Bose 181860 and see that they were used in vehicles and in home audio systems. Leary about buying a used one, all the sellers say they work great but how to tell if they still make bass? My old speakers look great and sounded fine too! Can a subwoofer be rebuilt?

The sealed chrome door handle kit came with 2 RR door handles. When installed on the passenger front, the door would not open. Luckily, the panel was off and we were able to unbolt the handle from the inside and then remove it and push down on the lever to open the door. Turns out the part that connects to the lever is longer so we swapped parts over from the old one and was back in business.

The exterior handle on the driver's side front door was not snapping back into place at first. Seems to be getting better. Curiously, the RF interior handle is not snapping back into place. Might have to pull the panel and adjust something. Will give it a few days.

One of the sylvania bulbs out back (7443LLBP) that was replaced in February burned out. Normally don't run them but needed the truck up and running. Preference is for GM/ACDelco or Philips Original Equipment. Forgot to change it out so now faced with the same situation again! LOL

Michelin Defenders have 9/32 of tread on them now at almost 24K miles. That's about a 1/32 of an inch for every 8K miles. Pretty much as expected.

The lumbar switch on the passenger side was pushed in, it's pushed on the other trucks too, so I took out the little screw in front, pinched the rear clips to pull the cover off some and pushed the lumber switch module back into it's bracket and all is good again for that.

Truck has been busy hauling the family to and fro. She's gone over 4.5K miles since April. The girls don't plan their fuel stops so the truck has been drinking Racetrac, Shell, Sunoco, Mobil, etc. during this time. MPGs are still pretty good.

Waiting on oil analysis from Blackstone-Labs.

So, what have y'all been up to?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Been taking a break from the forum again as my eyes are shot.

In the meantime, we've been having the trucks cleaned and detailed and amassing parts for the 2012s overhaul. We picked up those brand new HD towing brakes from ACDelco with all new calipers, brackets, pads and specially cut and coated rotors. The calipers say ACDelco on them.

On the Yukon XL, we replaced all 4 exterior door handles along with 8 of the nine speakers and boy did that make a difference! She sounds better than ever. Used GM OE Bose speakers.

Want to replace the subwoofer, I believe the unit is a Bose 181860 and see that they were used in vehicles and in home audio systems. Leary about buying a used one, all the sellers say they work great but how to tell if they still make bass? My old speakers look great and sounded fine too! Can a subwoofer be rebuilt?

The sealed chrome door handle kit came with 2 RR door handles. When installed on the passenger front, the door would not open. Luckily, the panel was off and we were able to unbolt the handle from the inside and then remove it and push down on the lever to open the door. Turns out the part that connects to the lever is longer so we swapped parts over from the old one and was back in business.

The exterior handle on the driver's side front door was not snapping back into place at first. Seems to be getting better. Curiously, the RF interior handle is not snapping back into place. Might have to pull the panel and adjust something. Will give it a few days.

One of the sylvania bulbs out back (7443LLBP) that was replaced in February burned out. Normally don't run them but needed the truck up and running. Preference is for GM/ACDelco or Philips Original Equipment. Forgot to change it out so now faced with the same situation again! LOL

Michelin Defenders have 9/32 of tread on them now at almost 24K miles. That's about a 1/32 of an inch for every 8K miles. Pretty much as expected.

The lumbar switch on the passenger side was pushed in, it's pushed on the other trucks too, so I took out the little screw in front, pinched the rear clips to pull the cover off some and pushed the lumber switch module back into it's bracket and all is good again for that.

Truck has been busy hauling the family to and fro. She's gone over 4.5K miles since April. The girls don't plan their fuel stops so the truck has been drinking Racetrac, Shell, Sunoco, Mobil, etc. during this time. MPGs are still pretty good.

Waiting on oil analysis from Blackstone-Labs.

Good to see you back! You will see I have tested my fuel alcohol content calculator. Seems ok and that's with Denso sensors. Not much else. Getting ready for vacation in northern Wisconsin.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm very surprised by this. My experience has always been if a speaker sounds bad, it'll look bad, too. Usually rotted or soft surrounds. Your original speakers appeared fine? My old '08 speakers sound great. Maybe it's cuz it has spent most of its life parked inside?

I've not routed that rod on the inside correctly before and it drags on the rubber block that's supposed to keep it from rattling laterally. Or maybe it's that cable to the handle was pulled.

Nothing interesting. Working, mostly.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm very surprised by this. My experience has always been if a speaker sounds bad, it'll look bad, too. Usually rotted or soft surrounds. Your original speakers appeared fine? My old '08 speakers sound great. Maybe it's cuz it has spent most of its life parked inside?
I have found speakers that looked fine to have a bad coil that rubbed as it moved in its suspension. They usually sounded raspy and you could feel and hear it if you pushed on them just right.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very surprised by this. My experience has always been if a speaker sounds bad, it'll look bad, too. Usually rotted or soft surrounds. Your original speakers appeared fine?

They didn't sound bad per se, they just didn't sound great and lacked some bass. We got some bass back with the new speakers and still have to replace the subwoofer.

My daughter said one speaker had a problem but I forget what it was, I'll look at them later and take photos. Well, maybe next week, getting out of here and going to Daytona for some R&R.

I could barely hear my D-pillar speakers and now that we've replaced them, can hear them now. Curiously, they are NOS, they are dated in early 2009 when my truck was built at the end of 2009! All of the other speakers were within 3 years old and of course, new in the box or bags for the little tweeters. Can hear the tweeters better too now that I think about it, especially with the treble turned up.

It sounds just as good as the 2013s stock system now. Well, my wife and youngest daughter say it's almost as good! LOL Smaller crew cab help with sound maybe?

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found speakers that looked fine to have a bad coil that rubbed as it moved in its suspension. They usually sounded raspy and you could feel and hear it if you pushed on them just right.

Yeah, and that's often a result of a soft surround letting the cone sag (with side-firing speakers) and the off-centered voice coil rubs and shorts out. Or too much juice burns the voice coil.

My speakers sound fine, IMO. But now I wanna push on 'em and kinda hoping to find a problem. :D

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and that's often a result of a soft surround letting the cone sag (with side-firing speakers) and the off-centered voice coil rubs and shorts out. Or too much juice burns the voice coil.

My speakers sound fine, IMO. But now I wanna push on 'em and kinda hoping to find a problem. :D
Reading what you guys have written shows me that I know so little about audio systems! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris709

Latest posts