Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Is the dorman part just a dash cover??? Like lays over the original cover ??
Or is the actual top dash piece that you totally replace ????
It's a replacement piece that goes between the windshield and the main dash. It's the piece that has the defrost openings and also houses the ambiant light sensor (that little bubble that sticks up at the center)

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all sales final :oops:

Hey that's ok, the control arm brackets on the one I bought were dragged through the dirt and the bolt holes on a few got slightly elongated. Will take parts from the first one to repair the one you gave me and then have old 8.6 kept for spares as well.

I was bummed to learn that none of those parts are available anymore, the rubber parts for the lever, the anchor block, etc. Some of the others can still be had in the ACDelco line and the actual parking brake shoes and adjuster hardware is available aftermarket.

Missed out on a low mileage 3.73 geared front differential up in Melbourne. The other 3.73 has 158K and almost $400.

Is the dorman part just a dash cover??? Like lays over the original cover ??
Or is the actual top dash piece that you totally replace ????

1686332553612.png

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just blow a bunch of baking soda all over under there and rinse it down with a shower from the hose.

Or get a couple cans of Battery Terminal Cleaner, and spray it in all the nooks & crannies at the very least. The can pressure will force the inert spray into the spots you can't reach, and deactivate the acid.

Then spray it down at the car wash with the low-pressure hose.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't so darn hot outside we would have put ours in today! By the time it cooled off we were too dog tired.
I used the seal that goes against the windshield off my factory one. It seemed to be better made.

got around to throwing this piece in this afternoon, color is a hair off but just chocking it up to main dash being in there (in the sun) for a couple years but looks 100x better. old one had more than half the tabs broke off. fit was great, texture finish is about perfect. the windshield seal you speak of, my stock one didnt even have a seal so dorman one went in, looked to be decent tho

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we've been busy with the 90K service on the 2013 Sierra. Installed the AVS stick on visors and GM Accessory splash shields with red GMC logo on the back. Also got a super deal on a GM Accessory Tonneau Cover and put that on. Bed Liner is backordered still. I could get one sooner for $50 more and risk damage during delivery. Think we'll wait.

Only thing left to do is to replace the O2 sensors and power steering fluid. We'll do that over the winter.

I've decided to forgo the 3.73 gears but still going to put the larger axle under the Yukon. Truck is going west for two weeks. Don't want to potentially give up gas mileage and decided not to buy a travel trailer until after we buy some land. Slowly working on other truck and household projects as health allows. Summer heat is here.

The white Sierra is going to have a major suspension and steering overhaul soon. Collecting parts, including traction bars and then the lift components will be removed, cleaned up and powder coated. Julia is going with a brass or bronze accent color to powder coat various parts. Kryptonite UCAs didn't come with bushings but that will make powder coating easier. Don't think I'll have much more than an advisory role until it comes time to put everything back together!

Oh, I scored a good deal on the tools to rebuild the GM CV-Shafts and to properly swage the new clamps on them. It'll pay for itself after the first 2 rebuilds.

Looking for a cheap Branick 7400 or 7600 spring compressor. Maybe a 7200 if the top bearing is still good, no parts for those anymore is my understanding.

Never using this one again, scares me!

Finished building my second cannon this morning, another 1981 vintage CVA black powder cannon, this one a Yorktowne in .50 caliber. Came together real nice and she's ready for Independence Day! Looks similar to this real one but the carriage and wheels are stained walnut and rust browned the metal hardware.

1687867546423.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98