Tips/Advice from anyone that has replaced control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ross reynolds

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve done a couple of these in the driveway and they’re not that bad. As far as parts go, I do everything at the same time. Inner and outer tie rods, etc.(it will help to buy a tool for installing the inners). To save some dough though, remove the upper and lower control arms, take them and your new ball joints to the machine shop and have them press the old ones out and new ones in. Then reinstall control arms. It costs me about $10 per ball joint.

Apach 031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm in the middle of doing the lca's in my 08 Yukon Denali right now. It's got the aluminum lower control arms. I've broke the ball joint loose, but I can't seem to get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle, because the axle assembly is blocking it. Does that sound right? The few videos I watched didn't mention it. Is the axle shaft a bear to remove from the knuckle?

My first post, so I apologize if this is rambling, or wrong.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm in the middle of doing the lca's in my 08 Yukon Denali right now. It's got the aluminum lower control arms. I've broke the ball joint loose, but I can't seem to get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle, because the axle assembly is blocking it. Does that sound right? The few videos I watched didn't mention it. Is the axle shaft a bear to remove from the knuckle?

My first post, so I apologize if this is rambling, or wrong.

Yep axle shaft has to be moved out of the way. Here:

Apach 031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep axle shaft has to be moved out of the way. Here:

Yup. That's the video I watched. Just realized why I was caught by surprise...it's a 2wd! Lol. Don't know why I didn't spot it the first time. Anyway, thanks for the quick info, 89suburban! Worked like a charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20