Ticking noise. Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rn4l21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This ticking just started on my ‘05 Tahoe. Doesn’t really sound as loud on a cold start. Hoping it’s not lifters or a rod knock. Any ideas what it could be?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can tell the difference between a rod knock and a lifter tap by the speed and sound of it.

OP
OP
R

rn4l21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like lifter tick to me but that metallic sound at the end of each tick leads me to believe you have a loose rocker arm for whatever reason.
I was hoping it wasn’t that smh. It’s only got about 185K on it. Runs and idles so smooth. No CEL, no bad idle. I guess it’s time to let her go.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't throw out the baby with the bath water before knowing what it is or how much time/money it would cost.

Before assuming the worst, I would also want to rule out 100% anything to do with moving parts up front. I would see if the noise stops, if the serpentine belt is off for a quick check.

Maybe you'll be REALLY lucky and find something stupid like bad alternator bearing making that tick. Wouldn't cost anything to check. I would want to be sure nothing like that was the cause, before jumping to the next possible worst case.

Could be just a bent (or worn) lifter and/or loose rocker. If you end up with something like that, you might get off relatively cheap (no replacement truck or replacement engine needed) and be as good as new when done.

Just trying to be an optimist today... Hope for the best and try not to jump the gun on dumping the truck. If you have to, you have to. Just see what exactly you are up against first.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping it wasn’t that smh. It’s only got about 185K on it. Runs and idles so smooth. No CEL, no bad idle. I guess it’s time to let her go.
I agree with @MassHoe04. It’s a little early to call time of death on this thing.

Take it step by step checking the easy stuff first. Quick question before I go any further. What is your oil pressure showing on the dash?

It costs nothing to take the serpentine belt off and to see if the noise goes away as mentioned. If it does, then focus on the spinning parts in front of the motor. If it’s still there, then go to the next step and pull the valve covers and check your rocker arms and push rods. If that all looks good, then move on to checking the lifters. If you can get a good idea of where the sound is coming from, that can help as well. Get a long screw driver or a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can narrow it down, at least to a side of the motor. That will give you a better starting point.

OP
OP
R

rn4l21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with @MassHoe04. It’s a little early to call time of death on this thing.

Take it step by step checking the easy stuff first. Quick question before I go any further. What is your oil pressure showing on the dash?

It costs nothing to take the serpentine belt off and to see if the noise goes away as mentioned. If it does, then focus on the spinning parts in front of the motor. If it’s still there, then go to the next step and pull the valve covers and check your rocker arms and push rods. If that all looks good, then move on to checking the lifters. If you can get a good idea of where the sound is coming from, that can help as well. Get a long screw driver or a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can narrow it down, at least to a side of the motor. That will give you a better starting point.
It’s pegged at 80 so I’m not sure if that’s the actual pressure or if the oil pressure sending unit is bad.DC98B65B-96D7-45A4-9E39-B3EFF71108B2.jpeg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s pegged at 80 so I’m not sure if that’s the actual pressure or if the oil pressure sending unit is bad.View attachment 364430
Definitely seems suspicious.

Have you checked your oil level? When was your last oil change filter change? Might want to get a analog gauge on there and see what the actual pressure is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20