Tech 2 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I see this Unknown Driver when there are communications issues with the BCM.

Does this happen each time you follow this procedure?
No only the first time I try to connect after the truck sits a while. I cycle the Tech2 off and back on then immediately go through the procedure. The message does not return the second time and diagnostic functions of the tech2 work as expected.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Uxxxx codes, if current would make sense. What you posted looks like there are some communications issues in the truck. Somewhere in the Tech 2 is a selection for checking comms with various modules. Might be worth seeing if you can track down the issue before it becomes troublesome.

JGib

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to slide a question in here. After reading 44 pages I definitely have a lot to learn. Looking to buy a tech2 but one question. Can the tech2 program a bcm? Or ECU?
Just replaced engine in my 2007 tahoe and instructions with engine call for a reflash and they list a few numbers.
Ive read about MDIs, etc etc but still very confusing since i have never put my hands on one of these.......
I want to be able to diagnose an issue with my driver's heated seat (online search said a texh 2 would come in handy)
I would like the ability to reflash / program a bcm /ecu. Tech2 + subscription? Or additional hardware needed? Good read here for sure. Will definitely make more since once i have the device (s) in front of me...

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Just wanted to slide a question in here. After reading 44 pages I definitely have a lot to learn. Looking to buy a tech2 but one question. Can the tech2 program a bcm? Or ECU?
Just replaced engine in my 2007 tahoe and instructions with engine call for a reflash and they list a few numbers.
Ive read about MDIs, etc etc but still very confusing since i have never put my hands on one of these.......
I want to be able to diagnose an issue with my driver's heated seat (online search said a texh 2 would come in handy)
I would like the ability to reflash / program a bcm /ecu. Tech2 + subscription? Or additional hardware needed? Good read here for sure. Will definitely make more since once i have the device (s) in front of me...

The Tech 2 + a subscription to TDS is required to flash 2007-2013/2014 GM Vehicles.

The subscription is $40 for 2 years and is only good for one vehicle.

As for ECMs, they are reflashable. If my research is correct the BCMs are a one time flash via normal means, so a new BCM would be required.

There is a company that can reprogram your BCM to add/change functions but you can't do that with a Tech 2.

If any of the above info is inaccurate please feel free to correct.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Regarding flashing modules. What is required to flash earlier modules? Like in the the NBS. Do you need a subscription?

The TIS2000 software that comes with the Tech 2 is all that is needed for the 2006 and back vehicles.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The Uxxxx codes, if current would make sense. What you posted looks like there are some communications issues in the truck. Somewhere in the Tech 2 is a selection for checking comms with various modules. Might be worth seeing if you can track down the issue before it becomes troublesome.
I will look into that. The issue I have first is that it is a temporary problem that goes away the second time I connect the tech2. I may just unplug the VCIM and see if it goes away.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will look into that. The issue I have first is that it is a temporary problem that goes away the second time I connect the tech2. I may just unplug the VCIM and see if it goes away.
you can run a test on all the modules to check for dtc's review them all then clear them all and restart and shut off the truck and see what comes back as current or open. whatever is open/current is what you will want to address. what I do is write down the historical codes and then clear everything and if nothing comes back right away then I just wait a few days and then check again to see if it ends up coming back. This tells me if something is intermittent or not, it can also see the mods I have done like adding led strips or connecting my puddle lights to the interior lights it shows it as "a short to ground" which does not affect anything it just see's the ground I added. If that showed up on something else that I had not done anything to then I know that particular module or section has a problem.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well, I cleared everything out without writing it down. Whatever! I think when I start the tech2 it causes something. Maybe the power draw from the OBDII port. I may try powering the tech2 from the AC adapter and see if it does it.
At least it works after the second try and I can use it to diagnose issues.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I cleared everything out without writing it down. Whatever! I think when I start the tech2 it causes something. Maybe the power draw from the OBDII port. I may try powering the tech2 from the AC adapter and see if it does it.
At least it works after the second try and I can use it to diagnose issues.
on my 2012 I had a short somewhere which I think is under my fuse box, I had a code come up for a short in the lan and it really wouldn't work right, after I wiggled the wires under the fuse box and zip tied them up where they should be (mine had come off the xmas tree holder and were dangling) then the short went away and everything communicated properly again. I wanted to replace the harness that goes from the main wiring harness to the bottom of the fuse block but they only sell the harness connector and not the pig tail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99