Tall jack stands for transmission removal from 2013 Escalade ESV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am laying out the plans to R&R the 6L80 from my 2013 Escalade ESV to install an upgraded torque converter in the future.

Here is my question to all of you who have pulled a 6L80 from a GMT900 in the driveway/garage: how tall of jacks stands did you use?
I have a transmission jack to support and remove the transmission. So I will need to factor that in.

When I did the transmission valve body work last October, I had the Escalade up on four Rhino ramps. Good enough for that work, but way too sketchy for transmission removal...

I have a pair of 6 ton jack stands with a max lift height of 23.5" I was thinking I could put those under the rear axle tubes. I just need something for the front.

I look forward to all your advice and suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny. :D
Let me rephrase: I am hoping for a reccommendation for a taller set of jackstands for the front. I am not sure if 23.5” will be high enough…

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How high can you lift with your jack? Most jack stands are going to be as tall as typical jacks can reach.

How high are you wanting to go?

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good question. I have a HF high lift jack. I don't really have a specific number, other than 'high enough.' When I pulled the transmission and torque tube out of my Porsche 928 on the 6 ton jack stands, I had to maneuver them out the passenger's side rear wheel well because the body wasn't high enough. I want to be able to lower the transmission down onto my low profile transmission jack, then roll the jack out from under the side of the SUV.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good question. I have a HF high lift jack. I don't really have a specific number, other than 'high enough.' When I pulled the transmission and torque tube out of my Porsche 928 on the 6 ton jack stands, I had to maneuver them out the passenger's side rear wheel well because the body wasn't high enough. I want to be able to lower the transmission down onto my low profile transmission jack, then roll the jack out from under the side of the SUV.
One option is to get a set of car ramps and securely attach them on a stack of 2x12’s, cut as an extension of the ramp to get to the height you want. If you need more access, cut the “ramp” portion of the 2x12 ramp and you can then lay it in front of the ramp to get the wheel up on the ramp then slide it out of the way while you’re working then put it back when it is time to take the vehicle off the ramp.

Please be careful no matter what you do and make sure everything is solid and stable.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To get more lift you can carefully lift the truck frame higher using a solid block of wood on top of the jack, near where you're placing the jackstands. Probably best done in a couple of stages so one side isn't much higher than the other at any given time, or with two jacks at the same time. I would recommend at least 6-ton jack stands since they're beefier and will have more rise (and be more solid).

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, Thank you for your suggestions! I very much appreciate it. I am going to probably get another set of 6 ton jack stands, and block them up under the front of the SUV, with a set under the rear axle tubes.

I had to think a bit, but I remember removing a TH350 from and installing a TH700R4 in my 1966 C-10 in my driveway. Granted, that was 20 years ago, but I got it done without any major issues. So, I should be able to do this one as well.

Thanks!

davidavidd

Reaction score
Hi @skpyle! Minimum (for me) 24", to work comfortably 30"+/-, it seems like a lot but with wooden blocks it is an easily achievable height. Make sure you have a ratchet with straps at hand and remember that when you are putting your head under several tons of weight no safety measure is superfluous (block your tires, use jack stands, etc). My best wishes!

Postscript: Never, but never use cinder blocks :angels2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907