Engine/Transmission swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doug9238

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 w/ 5.3 engine & 253,000 miles

Engine started running a little rough and runs a little hot and transmission started getting a little jerky in this last year.

My local LKQ pick your part salvage yard near Tampa, FL has a 4x4 silvarado that rolled with a presumably good engine/tranny for $1,500 for both. Has anyone successfully changed out the engine/tranny and have any tips on it?

can you somehow swap them as one unit from below, or do you have to do each one separately? ) I.e. engine from top and tranny from below

Anyone know of any videos or guides on this project that shows the basics on how to get at everything properly to do this?

Could this be done in a full 3 day weekend?

Can you do it in your driveway with a Jack and Jack stands/engine hoist or do you need a professional shop with car lift etc.

I’m not afraid to put blood and sweat into it, but want to know if it is possible to do it on my own before beginning this.

Thank you!

Doug Slater

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hello all,

Engine started running a little rough and runs a little hot and transmission started getting a little jerky in this last year.

My local LKQ pick your part salvage yard near Tampa, FL has a 4x4 silvarado that rolled with a presumably good engine/tranny for $1,500 for both. Has anyone successfully changed out the engine/tranny and have any tips on it?

can you somehow swap them as one unit from below, or do you have to do each one separately? ) I.e. engine from top and tranny from below

Anyone know of any videos or guides on this project that shows the basics on how to get at everything properly to do this?

Can you do it in your driveway with a Jack and Jack stands/engine hoist or do you need a professional shop with car lift etc.

I’m not afraid to put blood and sweat into it, but want to know if it is possible to do it on my own before beginning this.

Thank you!

Doug Slater
You’ll need a engine hoist take the front rims off and get her as low as you can
The front bumper comes off in one whole piece then it’s just the electric fans radiator and support and you should have enough room to pull it out as one unit.
Get your wiring harness unhooked and out the way as much as you can so it don’t get pinched and damaged trying to get the motor out.
There’s a ton of engine swap videos on YouTube if you can’t find one specifically for a Tahoe just look for a Silverado 07-13 as it’s the same concept for you as far as removal goes

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thank you!

Doug Slater
The best way is to separate the engine and transmission because the engine needs to be free to rotate to get it to clear. Transmission comes out from the bottom.

But why not troubleshoot the engine and transmission you have? The running hot is most likely a partially plugged radiator (common issue), and I wouldn’t want a transmission I don’t know the history of.

Edit: Trey’s approach would work also but to me is just a bit more work.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Full 3 days atleast but you ought to be able to knock it out if you got some mechanical know how

And yea as a whole unit will be a pain to get out but it’s doable but you’ll definitely need a helper or two to be underneath helping the transmission clear its way out as well.

Separating the two would be easier for a man show to handle

OP
OP
D

doug9238

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The best way is to separate the engine and transmission because the engine needs to be free to rotate to get it to clear. Transmission comes out from the bottom.

But why not troubleshoot the engine and transmission you have? The running hot is most likely a partially plugged radiator (common issue), and I wouldn’t want a transmission I don’t know the history of.

Edit: Trey’s approach would work also but to me is just a bit more work.
I would love to troubleshoot the issues, but I don’t quite know how and I took it into a few shops and they could not figure it out either as they are not willing to drive it around for a while to get it to run hot as it does not always do it. I like you suggestion on the plugged radiator. Is there any way to try to verify if that is the case for sure? I was afraid it might be a head gasket, but I did not quite know how to easily verify that either.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
afraid it might be a head gasket, but I did not quite know how to easily verify that either.
This is the first most important step:
check for coolant in the oil and/or oil in the coolant.

Although it is possible to lose coolant without any coolant in your oil, coolant in the oil would be the first easiest detectable tell tale sign.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely get a proper and conclusive diagnosis before embarking engine/transmission swap.

As always, there may be more than one issue, but take it one step at a time.

Rokjhn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I just removed the engine and transmission from my 2009 Yukon Denali (AWD) as one unit. The engine was seized and there wasn’t anyway to disconnect the flex plate from the torque converter. It was a beast of a job and I ended up having to pull the heads inside of the engine bay to get the angle I needed to clear the firewall and the front support. In hindsight, I should have removed the radiator support. Didn’t want to discharge the working AC, so moved the compressor to the side. Put the new engine in and then put the transmission in from the bottom. Fun times!IMG_2176.jpeg IMG_2146.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts