Tall jack stands for transmission removal from 2013 Escalade ESV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my transmission out using a motorcycle jack and a pair of harbor freight 12 ton jack stands.

I used a stacked block of wood that i screwed together in layers to get it up high enough.

Dropped the transmission down, jacked the truck back up to remove one of the stands.

Then fit the bell housing through the wheel well.

Then back with the stands until I'm ready to pop it back in there.
Sweet!
Thanks for the info.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Sweet!
Thanks for the info.

Here is a picture of my Tahoe up on them for reference.
1649344025110.png
Engine is out, so I was able to drop this with the transfer case sill on the back by rolling the entire assembly forward, and then down with the sway bar removed.

I originally bought these to drop the transmission on my vette.
For that I used the 6 ton as a step to get them on the 12-ton stands.

They are super steady, nice massive footprint, and the car side is wide enough to cradle the frame.
I feel completely comfortable under the Tahoe with these holding it up.

They were a very good investment; the hard part is the size for storage.
So, they live outside in the backyard until I need them again. :jester:

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:p I notice you didn't include your full address in your profile so we know where to look for those jack stands.

davidavidd

Reaction score
Thank you! Meaning ratchet strap the jack stands to the wood blocks?
Oh no, I NEVER use cinder blocks. Learned that lesson years ago...
I never get under anything on stands until I have given it a vigorous shake test. Better to fall then than fall on me.
My grandpa method may seem a bit strange but it works, you can drop or install the transmission without needing to be completely under the vehicle (this is my favorite part) using a pair of two-way ratchet straps, a jack and wood can be useful to gain stability. To use this method you cross each strap through the chassis frame and under the transmission (bell housing and tail) and leave the ratchets out so you can raise or lower the transmission as needed (make sure you don't pinch wires or fuel/brake lines with the straps).

As @PatDTN mentioned, by combining jack stands and wood it is possible to reach a height that allows you to sit under the truck, it is the most comfortable option if you do not have a lift at hand.

davidavidd

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my Tahoe up on them for reference.
View attachment 367446
Engine is out, so I was able to drop this with the transfer case sill on the back by rolling the entire assembly forward, and then down with the sway bar removed.

I originally bought these to drop the transmission on my vette.
For that I used the 6 ton as a step to get them on the 12-ton stands.

They are super steady, nice massive footprint, and the car side is wide enough to cradle the frame.
I feel completely comfortable under the Tahoe with these holding it up.

They were a very good investment; the hard part is the size for storage.
So, they live outside in the backyard until I need them again. :jester:
OMG Having your transmission like this is the closest thing to a woman giving birth. Sweat, pain and happiness :happy107:

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I am going to do a functional test of what I have. I will jack up my Escalade with:
-3 ton jack stands under the rear axle, as high as they will go
-6 ton jack stands somewhere under the front frame, as high as they will go, sitting on 2" thick wood spacers

I will raise my transmission jack as high as it will go, and see how it all is. See how much room I have, see how well the transmission jack gets to the transmission.

Then buy more stuff accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs