Service dog - how can I leave the engine running when I'm not in the car for longer than 20 minutes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gak9sar5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to buy a 2022 Yukon or Tahoe.
I have a service dog and sometimes I need to leave the dog in the car whilel I'm at an appointment.
I have been looking all over the place for an answer including calling GM. GM said "in order to protect the environment, it is not possible to have the vehicle idle for more that 20 minutes and we do not support leaving an animal in the car". I think I was being read something a lawyer wrote.

The question is, can I change any settings in the conmputer to leave it running without it turning off?

Ford has forscan and I know the F150 can be updated to turn on something called secure idle. I was also told that through the interface, you can update the remote start idle time to be zero so it won't turn off.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm now looking at an Expedition or a Navigator but I would really prefer a Yukon or Tahoe.
You have a button on command that cuts that detail off so it can idle more than 20 minutes. Thanks California for pushing shit on all of us!

OP
OP
D

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That procedure does NOT work on my Tahoe. You could buy Toyota, they don't have this bug.
Thank you for testing it, I read above that it requires a service bulletin to be completed before it works. I have been thinking about it and researching a used Duramax Tahoe versus waiting for a 2025 with the new Duramax.
Right now, I am thinking about waiting but 2025's are 10 months away at least and then I'll be hoping that there are no surcharges from the dealerships.

RIZE_UP

Reaction score
@DaveL
Install the autostart stop eliminator. autostop eliminator
My suburban will run till I turn off or runs out fuel I guess. It has idled for hours no issues. I can verify it has done 6 hours idle no issues.
I have the chevy keypad on my door, so I can lock and unlock and many other features while the truck is running and the key stays in my pocket.
Keypad post2

OP
OP
D

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@DaveL
Install the autostart stop eliminator. autostop eliminator
My suburban will run till I turn off or runs out fuel I guess. It has idled for hours no issues. I can verify it has done 6 hours idle no issues.
I have the chevy keypad on my door, so I can lock and unlock and many other features while the truck is running and the key stays in my pocket.
Keypad post2
Thank you. I didn't know that Chevy had the keypad option. I will look into it.
I was considering the 2024 Chevy Traverse or 2024 GMC Acadia. The engine scares me and it is March and the car is no where to be seen.
I'll wait for the 2025 Chevy Tahoe with the newer Duramax. Same MPG and I think a much nicer/bigger vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts