Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being the guinea pig. I'm always looking at them when I go there but, unless I have a need for it at that moment, I don't get one. I definitely won't get one if I have to spend the big bucks to have one worth bringing home. I've made it this far without...
I might just return it, idk. I hate having a great idea of a tool instead of a great tool. I’ll give a replacement a try first I guess.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might just return it, idk. I hate having a great idea of a tool instead of a great tool. I’ll give a replacement a try first I guess.

No worries if you do or don't. I'm gonna do like I always do and look for a deal on Marketplace for a used quality brand. Searching everywhere between New Orleans and Houston ;)

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries if you do or don't. I'm gonna do like I always do and look for a deal on Marketplace for a used quality brand. Searching everywhere between New Orleans and Houston ;)
Good idea, I might give that a try. Do you have any cheats on enlarging the search area? All I can do is expand it to 100 miles or enter specific cities. It would be nice to have a search that covers half the country like search tempest does for Craigslist.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea, I might give that a try. Do you have any cheats on enlarging the search area? All I can do is expand it to 100 miles or enter specific cities. It would be nice to have a search that covers half the country like search tempest does for Craigslist.

You know how often a used quality tool is better than a new cheap tool. I posted about it elsewhere, but I scored a ~$90 DeWaLT Grinder for $40 today from Marketplace.

I'm still very new to FB- just a few months and only use it for Marketplace. So, if there is a cheat, I don't know about it. I used to daily CL and/or Search Tempest. Not since Marketplace. I should stop in, though.

I just manually search where I'm gonna be working that day. I'm headed to Pasadena and Houston this weekend, so I'll be checking those markets between here and there.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and App called “offer up”. My wife said it’s similar to the FB one you guys were talking about.

Parking inside (which I do) would also go a long way in prevention. UV-reflecting windshield tint and, if it exists, a conditioner for the plastic just like what's available for leather seats to keep them soft and pliable.
Parked mine inside it’s whole life and when I didn’t a window visor was put up even though I have UV-tint. Dash still cracked.
^Stories like this^
Make me never want to unplug anything, EVER. It is my luck a simple repair turns into a week long event. Probably because I don’t have a spare vehicle.
A week, to a month, almost done a year later…it happens to the best of us.
The "trick up my sleeve" came through. Ordered the dash this afternoon for $483.60. It's coming from Michigan, so it'll be about a week.

That was the one I planned on ordering! Kidding…glad that good ole MI could help out.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "trick up my sleeve" came through. Ordered the dash this afternoon for $483.60. It's coming from Michigan, so it'll be about a week.
Mind sharing this trick? How the hell did you get one for $483.60 shipped @iamdub ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and App called “offer up”. My wife said it’s similar to the FB one you guys were talking about.

Parked mine inside it’s whole life and when I didn’t a window visor was put up even though I have UV-tint. Dash still cracked.

A week, to a month, almost done a year later…it happens to the best of us.

That was the one I planned on ordering! Kidding…glad that good ole MI could help out.

Whale... shít. I had this whole plan to get a new windshield, tint it (for UV reflection, not make it dark), research what type of plastic the dash is made of and what chemicals I can apply to it to keep it fresh, add additional support and reinforcement, etc.

I guess there's a warehouse in Flint? That's where it shipped from. A dealer supply warehouse perhaps?

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mind sharing this trick? How the hell did you get one for $483.60 shipped @iamdub ?

It wasn't so much as a "trick". I guess I should've said "ace up my sleeve". A friend of mine (Jeff) asked his dad, a service manager at a local Chevrolet dealership, if he could help me out and he did. So that was my ace that came through.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't so much as a "trick". I guess I should've said "ace up my sleeve". A friend of mine (Jeff) asked his dad, a service manager at a local Chevrolet dealership, if he could help me out and he did. So that was my ace that came through.
I like new friends, especially dads who know managers with connections at Chevy dealerships and GM warehouses.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well f**k. I did my usual grocery shopping this morning and as I was backing into my driveway the truck suddenly stopped going in reverse. I’m in the middle of the road and wondering if I just lost reverse so I put it in drive and pull forward and try again. Nope wouldn’t back up. I pulled forward again, out of the middle of the road and kinda on the side so people can get by. I tried reverse again and nope. Then I try to pull forward more and nope. Wouldn’t budge so I figure I’m out of the way so let’s look under it. As soon as I go to the passenger side I see the problem. The tie rod must have broke I’m thinking because that wheel is supposed to be pointed straight ahead.

Attachments

• 25072133-42A4-4B42-B23F-0C50DABDBA29.jpeg
    25072133-42A4-4B42-B23F-0C50DABDBA29.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt