Rear diff fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to be doing a rear diff fluid. Rather than GM fluid what other fluids does anyone recommend? I do have the G80 option. Last change was done at the dealer before my free services ended and I rather use something better if available since ill be paying now.

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its like asking what is the best oil. You will get many recommendations and be more confused than when you started.

for some that may be. I take suggestions and research from there. Ive always gone about things that way. Take suggestions and further research from there.

Big question I have now as things have changed since my last GM truck/SUV. Do the G80 on the K2 platform require LSD additives or no?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an example I belong to another very good truck forum. There was a discussion about rear diff fluid. So far it is seven pages long with about 100 posts. Everyone has an opinion. Seven fluids were recommended, GM, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Delvac, Amsoil, Triton, Redline, Carquest brand produced by Old World Industries and I am sure there are many more. This should give you a starting point so you can do your research. If you want to carry it one step further pick several to try and then have them analyzed after some mileage by one of the companies that specializes in this process. Good luck with your final selection.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the G80 on the K2 platform require LSD additives or no?

If I’m not mistaken, the G80’s do not need the friction modifier additive.

@Rocket Man or @Jolly Roger, either of you want to share what you learned about additives on the G80 differentials since you both went down the rabbit hole on this one recently?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy