Proper DoD delete oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see your exact combo, so I just looked up a 2011 xl with a 6.2. this is what the manual says.

minimum hot pressure

6psi at 1000rpm
18psi at 2000rpm
24 psi at 4000rpm

no way I'm pulling a awd oil pan and front cover to replace a oil pump on my truck till it's the minimum or at least close to it.

oh the afm valve is just to limit max psi to between 55 and 75psi.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I feel better. My eninge is a 5.3 non vvt. Cam was a non dod/afm cam that can be used eith both vvt and non vvt. I'll send it I guess. Worst case scenario, I get a new short block lol. I have 172,*** miles.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no reason why pressure shouldve gone down.
i would start with the sensor, maybe throw the old one back in or mech gauge and see.
i wouldve plugged the towers, 10 bux worth of plugs for the piece of mind.
did you pull the oil pump to change the timing chain or anything?
the cam being for vvt or not i've never heard of unless you just mean youd need to install the lock out block in the actuator, did you use a single bolt cam gear? 3 bolt? actuator with the block? im wondering if it has the oil passage for the vvt actuator that would need to be "plugged" if not used? the path for oil to the actuator is a groove in the forward most race of the cam iirc
the pressure relief in the pan, unless engine was very sludged up i wouldnt worry about it being stuck open

Last edited:
OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
no reason why pressure shouldve gone down.
i would start with the sensor, maybe throw the old one back in or mech gauge and see.
i wouldve plugged the towers, 10 bux worth of plugs for the piece of mind.
did you pull the oil pump to change the timing chain or anything?
the cam being for vvt or not i've never heard of unless you just mean youd need to install the lock out block in the actuator, did you use a single bolt cam gear? 3 bolt? actuator with the block? im wondering if it has the oil passage for the vvt actuator that would need to be "plugged" if not used? the path for oil to the actuator is a groove in the forward most race of the cam iirc
the pressure relief in the pan, unless engine was very sludged up i wouldnt worry about it being stuck open
The cam I got said it could be used with or without vvt. I do not have vvt in my truck. I did change the timing gear and tensioner. It was a single bolt cam. I will still probably plug the holes in the near future. It's not too hard to get to.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I did the DoD delete and fixed all my post DoD delete issues except for I'm geting really low oil pressure. I did replace the sensor AND the screen with a brand new one. But I'm getting like 10 PSI or less at idle and about 35 PSI while driving. Maybe 40 PSI when I get on it.

I'm not sure if it's really that low as I don't really hear any lifter noises at idle, however I've read more than a few times that I need to get the melling 10296 pump. Which sucks because I just put the thing back together and have been driving it lol. I really don't like dropping the front diff just go get the stinking oil pan off just to get the pump out. Anyways, does this forum agree with the recommended pump change?
I'm a little late weighing in on this one but the EXACT same thing happened to me when I reused the original oil pump after my dod delete on my 2012. Granted it's an aluminum block, but since the original pump was high volume, I don't know why I ended up with lower oil pressure than I started with by 10 PSI across the board. Only thing I can figure is that the o-ring I used on the pickup tube was either nicked or slightly undersized. But when I went back in with a new Melling high volume pump and o-ring, I got my pressure back.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I've been driving it everywhere with no issues. When I get the time and motivations I'll swap over to a higher pressure pump. But as of now, it's all good.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late weighing in on this one but the EXACT same thing happened to me when I reused the original oil pump after my dod delete on my 2012. Granted it's an aluminum block, but since the original pump was high volume, I don't know why I ended up with lower oil pressure than I started with by 10 PSI across the board. Only thing I can figure is that the o-ring I used on the pickup tube was either nicked or slightly undersized. But when I went back in with a new Melling high volume pump and o-ring, I got my pressure back.
Just as FYI
When I did my dod delete and heads work , I did not have time to remove the pan so
I'm still on my orig pump . My oil pressure did not change at all. I did use the proper valley plate
and used the O rings to seal the dod ports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts