Proper DoD delete oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So I did the DoD delete and fixed all my post DoD delete issues except for I'm geting really low oil pressure. I did replace the sensor AND the screen with a brand new one. But I'm getting like 10 PSI or less at idle and about 35 PSI while driving. Maybe 40 PSI when I get on it.

I'm not sure if it's really that low as I don't really hear any lifter noises at idle, however I've read more than a few times that I need to get the melling 10296 pump. Which sucks because I just put the thing back together and have been driving it lol. I really don't like dropping the front diff just go get the stinking oil pan off just to get the pump out. Anyways, does this forum agree with the recommended pump change?

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did the DoD delete and fixed all my post DoD delete issues except for I'm geting really low oil pressure. I did replace the sensor AND the screen with a brand new one. But I'm getting like 10 PSI or less at idle and about 35 PSI while driving. Maybe 40 PSI when I get on it.

I'm not sure if it's really that low as I don't really hear any lifter noises at idle, however I've read more than a few times that I need to get the melling 10296 pump. Which sucks because I just put the thing back together and have been driving it lol. I really don't like dropping the front diff just go get the stinking oil pan off just to get the pump out. Anyways, does this forum agree with the recommended pump change?

What pump did you put in it? The stock pump for the AFM engines is a high volume pump. I used a Melling M295HV for mine. Since I capped off everything AFM-related, essentially making it like a Gen3 engine, a standard volume/standard pressure pump would've been fine. But I wanted more volume since it had 200K and I was gonna run it hard. Still, I don't see a standard volume pump causing that much of a loss in oil pressure. You might wanna try a non-AFM valley cover, GM #12598832.

Last edited:
OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
What pump did you put in it? The stock pump for the AFM engines is a high volume pump. I used a Melling M295HV for mine. Since I capped off everything AFM-related, essentially making it like a Gen3 engine, a standard volume/standard pressure pump would've been fine. But I wanted more volume since it had 200K and I was gonna run it hard. Still, I don't see a standard volume pump causing that much of a loss in oil pressure. You might wanna try a non-AFM valley cover, GM #12598832.
I reused the factory oil pump. I have the non afm valley cover. It came with my AMS racing kit.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what was your oil pressure before?
did you plug the towers in the valley or just relying on the cover to seal?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused the factory oil pump. I have the non afm valley cover. It came with my AMS racing kit.

I assumed you reused the VLOM cuz you said you replaced the screen when you replaced the sensor. I never knew you could use the screen in the non-AFM valley cover. It wouldn't go in on mine and I used a stock valley cover just like what looks to be in that AMS kit. My thoughts are that either the sensor isn't accurately reading the pressure or the gauge isn't responding accurately or you have an internal leak. Did you replace the pickup tube O-ring?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ls oiling system pod caat I was listening to said the vvt using more oil volume than the afm lifters. but byond that.. did you happen to peak at the cam bearings while it was apart? ls seem to always have cam bearing wear, but it's never really an issue.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
I assumed you reused the VLOM cuz you said you replaced the screen when you replaced the sensor. I never knew you could use the screen in the non-AFM valley cover. It wouldn't go in on mine and I used a stock valley cover just like what looks to be in that AMS kit. My thoughts are that either the sensor isn't accurately reading the pressure or the gauge isn't responding accurately or you have an internal leak. Did you replace the pickup tube
I put the oil pressure sensor with the screen in the back of the non DoD valley cover. It's a new sensor and a new screen. I was told I'd hear lifter tick if it was actually low but I do not hear that. Also, I know I am burning 0 oil because there is no smoke, and yes, I replaced the 0 ring with the orange one. I'll also add, that it's only when it's at operating Temps. It's fine until it warms up.

1707172558082.png

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Randeez asked- what was your oil pressure like before?

I don't believe that pressure, if it is accurate, is low enough to cause collapsed lifters. It's plenty when driving. I'd confirm the pressure with a mechanical gauge before diving deeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar