Parking brake delete from previous owner WTF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
the trick is to apply it everytime you drive, that way if its needed its already working :deal:
I know what you mean but it is every time you "park" to use it as designed and to help it stay useable. Just like you always put in park and shut off the key, when you park, set that parking brake and get used to it. It is also important to use it when parking on hills to help/save the parking pawl.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the trick is to apply it everytime you drive, that way if its needed its already working :deal:

I know what you mean but it is every time you "park" to use it as designed and to help it stay useable. Just like you always put in park and shut off the key, when you park, set that parking brake and get used to it. It is also important to use it when parking on hills to help/save the parking pawl.

And correct me if I am wrong, but it is my experience that engaging the parking brake with the truck at a slow roll in reverse is what makes the parking brake adjusters do their job. I notice this when on the boat ramp. Sometimes you will hear an adjuster "click", keeping the parking brake shoe in proper adjustment.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And correct me if I am wrong, but it is my experience that engaging the parking brake with the truck at a slow roll in reverse is what makes the parking brake adjusters do their job. I notice this when on the boat ramp. Sometimes you will hear an adjuster "click", keeping the parking brake shoe in proper adjustment.
Im gonna try that.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. Lots of cheapskates out there who don't mind the parking pawl keeping the truck from moving.

Get the part numbers of the stuff you need here:

They'll say this until they get their truck locked in the parking pawl! This happened to my wife, and she forced the shift lever breaking the shift mechanism in the steering column. She now makes sure she uses this sequence: Stop with foot on brake, shift to N, set parking brake, foot off parking brake, the park. If it rolls, you risk locking the parking pawl. This has happened to my father many times too, but he knows to jack the rear wheels off the ground or use another vehicle to push up the hill slightly.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. Lots of cheapskates out there who don't mind the parking pawl keeping the truck from moving.

Get the part numbers of the stuff you need here:

That was the case on the rear drum brakes in the pre-80's for sure. My '99 Lesabre which had rear drums did not have the self adjuster mechanism, but could be adjusted with the wheels on.

I do not believe the parking brake on our rear disk/parking shoe setup has self adjusters. Our parking brakes don't normally need the self adjuster anyway. By the time the parking brake pedal travel gets too far, rear pads probably need doing anyway. This is a good time to pull off the disk and reset the parking brake. Also, the ability of the parking brake to hold the vehicle may also depend on the condition of the "hat" inside the rear disk, meaning that replacement of the rear disk may be necessary first anyway.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im gonna try that.

You need to put the new adjusters in fully threaded in. Then adjust them out when you slide the rotor hat on to get a very, VERY slight drag seating the rotor. Loose enough to be able to remove it, but not loose enough to feel any kind of "gap" or "slop". You can turn the adjuster with a screwdriver tip just a little at a time until you find the sweet spot. Take notice which way they are to be installed as well. You can play with them in your hand before installing them to see which way they turn etc. Also recommend a light coat of syl glyde on those parts and threads as well. Very light, not enough to drip off into the brake liner/drum hat.

I do not believe the parking brake on our rear disk/parking shoe setup has self adjusters.

It does, these are the self adjusters in the green circle. I have also seen one of those brass colored gear thingys break into pieces and take out the parking brake lining.

15C082B1-70A7-4E3F-A645-9FC50A36090E.png

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SHEIITE!!!! There are also some pins that are not in that kit!! Look at this video @ :45.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to put the new adjusters in fully threaded in. Then adjust them out when you slide the rotor hat on to get a very, VERY slight drag seating the rotor. Loose enough to be able to remove it, but not loose enough to feel any kind of "gap" or "slop". You can turn the adjuster with a screwdriver tip just a little at a time until you find the sweet spot. Take notice which way they are to be installed as well. You can play with them in your hand before installing them to see which way they turn etc. Also recommend a light coat of syl glyde on those parts and threads as well. Very light, not enough to drip off into the brake liner/drum hat.

It does, these are the self adjusters in the green circle. I have also seen one of those brass colored gear thingys break into pieces and take out the parking brake lining.

View attachment 384079
You're right that the circled item is an adjuster, but it is not a "self" adjuster.

Self adjusters need an actuator assembly that puts some pressure on the adjuster like in the diagram below:
typicall self-adjusting brake.jpg

There is no such actuator in our parking brake system. We simply have the star wheel (adjusting assembly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC