Parking brake delete from previous owner WTF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. Lots of cheapskates out there who don't mind the parking pawl keeping the truck from moving.

Get the part numbers of the stuff you need here:

There are a few of of us that dont consider ourselves cheap skates by not having this done.Again mine came apart along way from home while towing my boat from a lake at 1 am.I drove 5 mph for 30 miles so needless to say i was pissed.I thought i broke an axle or rotor problem.Well the parking brake hardware just fell apart i guess tsb about it just junk now has an update on it.I refuse to put it back on this will never happen again to me.I will continue to use the parking pawl in the transmission like i have for 30 yrs and never had a problem.So how i see it when i back my boat down to the water it goes in untill the boat floats-so all the weight removed from Pawl.When i put boat back on same just reversed so just PAWL.To each his own on this i have not had a problem in 30 yrs of towing and backing down ramps to launch-in fact will launch 20 more times til ice up at the river in november.

Attachments

• lake geneva 3-22-2021 water temp 48 139.JPG
    lake geneva 3-22-2021 water temp 48 139.JPG
    657.2 KB · Views: 7

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If mean death wobble, similar to Jeep Wrangler death wobble where things are fine until hitting a bump at a certain speed and the front end and steering wheels violently shake until you slow down or come to complete stop.

Most instances on Jeeps are caused by bad bushings on the track bar or bad connections on the steering drag link.

Since our trucks don't have a solid live axle like the Jeep, we don't have track bars on our front end. Rules that out as a cause.

If it really is something akin to Jeep Death Wobble, then maybe it is too much slack in the drag link connections.
Does anything move, clunk or make any kind of noise when the front end is off the ground (both sides) and tugging on wheels, prying up under the wheels with a bar or 2x4... or having someone move the steering wheel?

Other things to look for weird front end behavior or poor handling:
broken shocks/shock mounts
stabilizer connectors

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are a few of of us that dont consider ourselves cheap skates by not having this done.Again mine came apart along way from home while towing my boat from a lake at 1 am.I drove 5 mph for 30 miles so needless to say i was pissed.I thought i broke an axle or rotor problem.Well the parking brake hardware just fell apart i guess tsb about it just junk now has an update on it.I refuse to put it back on this will never happen again to me.I will continue to use the parking pawl in the transmission like i have for 30 yrs and never had a problem.So how i see it when i back my boat down to the water it goes in untill the boat floats-so all the weight removed from Pawl.When i put boat back on same just reversed so just PAWL.To each his own on this i have not had a problem in 30 yrs of towing and backing down ramps to launch-in fact will launch 20 more times til ice up at the river in november.
Hey, your vehicle, your call. Your way of thinking indicates that whatever happens to give you concern on the road may or may not get fixed depending on if you can still drive the rig without it. You said when you back the boat in the water on the ramp, ALL the weight is removed from the pawl. There is still the entire vehicle weight on that pawl on an incline. Plus, if in fact you do lose the service brakes while driving, you have no parking/emergency brakes and you will slam in to park and I guarantee you that then that parking pawl will have a problem

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Hey, your vehicle, your call. Your way of thinking indicates that whatever happens to give you concern on the road may or may not get fixed depending on if you can still drive the rig without it. You said when you back the boat in the water on the ramp, ALL the weight is removed from the pawl. There is still the entire vehicle weight on that pawl on an incline. Plus, if in fact you do lose the service brakes while driving, you have no parking/emergency brakes and you will slam in to park and I guarantee you that then that parking pawl will have a problem
Gotcha cool with me.I will take my chances.Maybe you guys use very steep inclines mine not so much.

Attachments

• 11-2-2022.jpg
    11-2-2022.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 3