Brakes drag, pedal gets hard when doing a slow turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SharkTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy y'all. My first time posting here, I got a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71 in August '23 where the previous owner took real good care of it. I want to learn how to do my own maintenance on the truck, I usually do the basic stuff like air filters, wipers, top off fluids, very basic stuff.

To the point, this weird brake issue popped up last month when I was in Eastern Washington visiting a friend. When I'm going to park the truck, I turn into the parking space and press on the brakes. The brake pedal gets hard for 1 -2 seconds then pulsates for another 1 -2 seconds, then I can press the pedal the rest of the way to come to a full stop. This doesn't happen when I'm driving straight and press the brake pedal or when I come up to a stop sign or light. Emergency braking works fine, I can press the pedal all the way down to come to a full stop with no pedal resistance. I'm hard of hearing so it's kinda hard for me to troubleshoot via auditory methods but when this happens, it sounds like a groan.

The brake fluid looks dark so I'm going to do a brake fluid flush and bleed out from all four calipers, at the same time do a visual inspection on the pads, calipers, and rotors. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this though? People I've talked to and google searches has me convinced that I'm not using the right words to explain the issue. It doesn't stick, the steering wheel doesn't wobble, my driver seat doesn't shake. Yesterday, I did notice when I brake while driving straight, it does pull slightly to the right so it might be the front right caliper?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a wheel speed sensor that is flaking out. Maybe a connector, or harness, issue when the wheel is turned. Those trucks were know for front ABS sensors going bad. They will trigger a false ABS stop - which feels like what you are describing.

If it's been a western truck it's whoever life, then it's probably rust free. If the wheel bearings check out good, you can probably put in a new sensor. It might be worth you looking over the front end (or have someone who knows more teach you) . Check hubs, brakes, suspension, etc to see if there is anything loose, corroded, worn, etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

At first you had me thinking, and still do, that you have a problem at the front brake hoses. With the groaning noise I then thought of the anti lock system but could not understand how turning would cause a problem with the anti lock. IMO, and because I like spending people's money, do the hoses-front and rear because of age and yes, do the brake fluid flush but be prepared that the filthy fluid may have dome more damage in the anti lock system.

Almost forgot, what @B-train and @Sam Harris said about the wheel speed sensor(s) makes sense too.

While you have it in the air, of course check those hub bearings.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
SharkTahoe

SharkTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an update, I got the replacement sensors but when I was going to remove the calipers, I realized the caliper bolts were the torx bolts. I got the T55 bit and replacement caliper bolts with the hex to replace them but the torx bolts were rusted and I couldn't get them off on both of the front calipers. I didn't want to keep at it and risk stripping it so I'm going to connect with my aunt's mechanic to do the work for me. If I was already mechanically inclined, I'd probably would have figured out a way but I didn't want to risk breaking stuff due to inexperience. I already have the parts and will ask him to replace the caliper bolts for me so that way it's easier for me to remove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan