Parking brake delete from previous owner WTF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not really an emergency brake, just a parking brake.
The owners manual says to use the parking brake in case of brake failure I mean I would use it anyway even if the manual didn’t say so because it’s a whole separate braking system also DOT requires a functioning parking brake this section is for single engine vehicles under 10k pounds with hydraulic brakes (my Yukon xL) If your car slides down a hill it will be investigated and you will be liable if your parking brake doesn’t work. :

Hydraulic-braked vehicles which were not subject to the parking brake requirements of FMVSS No. 571.105 (S5.2) must be equipped with a parking brake system that meets the requirements of paragraph (c)
Paragraph (C)
(1) Each singly driven motor vehicle not subject to parking brake requirements of FMVSS Nos. 105 or 121 at the time of manufacturer, and every combination of motor vehiclesmust be equipped with a parking brake system adequate to hold the vehicle or combination on any grade on which it is operated, under any condition of loading in which it is found on a public road (free of ice and snow).

(2) The parking brake systemshall, at all times, be capable of being applied by either the driver's muscular effort or by spring action. If other energy is used to apply the parking brake, there must be an accumulation of that energy isolated from any common source and used exclusively for the operation of the parking brake.

Exception: This paragraph shall not be applicable to air-applied, mechanically-held parking brake systems which meet the parking brake requirements of FMVSS No. 121 (S5.6).
(3) The parking brake systemshall be held in the applied position by energy other than fluid pressure, air pressure, or electric energy. The parking brake system shall not be capable of being released unless adequate energy is available to immediately reapply the parking brake with the required effectiveness.

Edit : Effective Aug. 15, 2005-present

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course you'd use it as an emergency brake if needed, it would be stupid not to. I kinda feel like I've been "served." ;)

After using it and cleaning out your shorts, be sure to carefully inspect the parking brake components since they don't last long under emergency applications.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially because I’m doing my own brakes it’s piece of mind it’s worth $25 to potentially save the truck lol.
Of course you'd use it as an emergency brake if needed, it would be stupid not to. I kinda feel like I've been "served." ;)

After using it and cleaning out your shorts, be sure to carefully inspect the parking brake components since they don't last long under emergency applications.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the trick is to apply it everytime you drive, that way if its needed its already working :deal:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts