Parking brake (yes, another one!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every parking brake system I have ever had, the pedal actuator will go down until the the brake is fully applied, and the resistance is enough that you cannot press the parking brake to the floor even if you tried.

My 2002 Tahoe has never been like that, so I always figured I didn't have the parking brake adjusted properly somewhere. I took another attempt today at it, replaced the parking brake shoes again, but also replaced the rear disks. I adjusted the parking brake shoe until i could not quite get the disk brake onto the shoes, then backed it off a 3-4 notches. I know that you are supposed to measure the spread of the shoes. However, even after doing this adjustment, my parking brake pedal still goes to the floor.

Is it designed this way? I have yet to see how well it holds, as I'm not quite finished putting things back together.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need to replace the cable?
This^^^^^ and how muscular is your left leg? Might want to try just a slow apply on a slight hill until the truck stops and see where you're at. It's a good possibility the cable may be stretched. I've seen guys just mash the shit out of them on a normal basis thinking that's how they work

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@B-train, I'm not a muscular guy by any means! On my wife's Explorer there is a solid resistance about half way down when applying the parking brake. I might be able to push it down more if I really tried. It holds solid.

@Fless, I'm aware of that intermediate cable with the threaded rod. That cable snapped on me a few years ago. It is adjusted properly.

I took the wheels/calipers off again tonight and got about another 15 clicks each side. It seems that the new parking shoes needed bedding. It was a lot easier to fit the shoes to the inside hat of the disk. I've adjusted it so that there is a little resistance to turn each disk (with the opposite disk removed). The parking brake now holds more solidly, but I could probably push the parking brake pedal down to the bottom if I tried.

Now, the big difference between GM/s parking shoes and Fords is that GM has a one piece horse-shoe style, whereas the Ford parking shoes are more like the traditional drum brake shoes. GM's would take more force to spread, so maybe the parking brake pedal has more mechanical advantage built in to it. Also, there may be a spring relief mechanism built into the pedal mechanism to prevent overstretching the cable. I did have to replace the pedal mechanism once because the casting actually cracked.

I may make one more adjustment in the spring time when I switch back to my all-seasons.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
My money is on loose cables..there is a fix in forum post link below. it utilizes a spacer to allow more travel of rod/cable through adjuster bracket under bottom of truck. a stack of nuts with an inner diameter large enough to slide up and down threaded rod will also work in lieu of spacer.

1704506982474.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My money is on loose cables..there is a fix in forum post link below. it utilizes a spacer to allow more travel of rod/cable through adjuster bracket under bottom of truck. a stack of nuts with an inner diameter large enough to slide up and down threaded rod will also work in lieu of spacer.
Thanks, I remember reading about this fix years ago. In my case this isn't the problem. I have lots of adjustment left on the adjusters at the brake shoes. My problem is that once I have them adjusted so that they are just touching the inner hat, the parking brake pedal doesn't feel as firm as I would like it to be. If I were to add spacers as in the picture, the parking brake shoes would be definitely rubbing.

I'll see how it goes, and make another adjustment in the springtime.

And you know that clip that is supposed to hold the shoes in place when installing the disk? Some one before I owned the truck stripped out the bolt that holds the clip in place. I have to do wheel bearing in the back, so I'll drill and either retap for a larger bolt or see if I can find a Timesert that works. If I'm pulling the axles, I want to go for the best solution there, but that's for another day.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
Thanks, I remember reading about this fix years ago. In my case this isn't the problem. I have lots of adjustment left on the adjusters at the brake shoes. My problem is that once I have them adjusted so that they are just touching the inner hat, the parking brake pedal doesn't feel as firm as I would like it to be. If I were to add spacers as in the picture, the parking brake shoes would be definitely rubbing.

I'll see how it goes, and make another adjustment in the springtime.

And you know that clip that is supposed to hold the shoes in place when installing the disk? Some one before I owned the truck stripped out the bolt that holds the clip in place. I have to do wheel bearing in the back, so I'll drill and either retap for a larger bolt or see if I can find a Timesert that works. If I'm pulling the axles, I want to go for the best solution there, but that's for another day.
Ahh, i see. Well, the loose cables are a common fail so hopefully it will help others that end up on this post tracking that problem. Good luck on your quest. I had it and my co-worker had it and spacers tightened things right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts