Oil Life doesn't reset to 100%

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
wheres this energy button? ive got a 05 lt and i'm unfamiliar with that one. i do the key to run, pump the pedal 5 times within a few seconds and its reset like the op's. but mine says 100% afterwards like it should.

It's by the flux capacitor.....

Enter button, sorry. Fixed.

I have never touched the pedal to reset mine.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's by the flux capacitor.....

Enter button, sorry. Fixed.

I have never touched the pedal to reset mine.

ill bite again, wheres the enter button? this one of the steering wheel function buttons?

my flux capacitor is under the console lmao

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
ill bite again, wheres the enter button? this one of the steering wheel function buttons?

my flux capacitor is under the console lmao

Yes. Bottom right with the arrow. Scroll through the DIC to the oil life. Hold the button until it says oil life rest. Push the button again. Done.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Bottom right with the arrow. Scroll through the DIC to the oil life. Hold the button until it says oil life rest. Push the button again. Done.

ill give that a shot. im due for a oil change soon. dec will be a year ive had it, barely put a 1000 miles on it, so its the oils old so change it deal. last i seen it was at like 50% or so.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
ill give that a shot. im due for a oil change soon. dec will be a year ive had it, barely put a 1000 miles on it, so its the oils old so change it deal. last i seen it was at like 50% or so.

I'm doing mine in the next week, too. Maybe I'll make a little vid to post here. Curious if yours does it that way too.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I would think this has absolutely nothing to do with the oil. Since the oil life condition is simply an electronic algorithm based on driving conditions along with time and mileage to generate a guestimate of the oil condition.
No, it has nothing to do with mileage. Its engine oil, the point of the algorithm is to calculate it before the transmission. Its is based off of (time of) engine revs and temperature. If you drive it in first or fifth at the same RPM and the same temperature, the algorithm does not differentiate. Mileage is just the general guesstimate that people have been using forever. The algorithm is more accurate by not using mileage. THE PROBLEM WITH GOING OFF YOUR "OIL LIFE" IS: Whether or not you use 3,000 mile conventional oil or 15,000 mile synthetic, that algorithm doesn't take it into account what type of oil you are using. You can use the algorithm, but personally: DEPENDING ON IF YOU ARE USING A HIGHER MILEAGE OIL, if you know how you drive, and adjust your oil's life by your driving style and conditions, you will get a more accurate lifespan that will go beyond that %.

I guess the oil pressure reset thing it just a bit too complicated.

Okay.. Gee did we not read the first message? I know How to do the reset, but it won't reset to 100% (currently only to 52%) Hence the reason for the question. PS mine requires that I turn the key on and pump the gas pedal 5 times.. But that's NOT the point.. The point is there is a problem causing it to not reset properly.

Or said another way, do you really think I'm just now getting around to asking how to reset the frigging oil life after driving it for over 500,000 miles?

but gee you sound like a lot of fun.... I sure hope someone helps you with your answer. Maybe you should ask your mechanic to pull your engine out and take a better look at your filter.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing mine in the next week, too. Maybe I'll make a little vid to post here. Curious if yours does it that way too.

just went out to the store, so i played a bit. it certainly does work this way for me as well. went from 53 to 100%.

5 gas pedal pumps seems a hell of a lot faster tho. crazy how these trucks have 3 ways to do everything.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious; The oil life algorithm was designed 20 some years ago..... Did we even have extended life oil back then? Was 3-5K mile oil life all that there really was? Has oil technology made this feature outdated?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never use the oil life read out. i change my oil at 3,000. im not buying this 5 to 15,000 mile oil change BS. it still gets dirty, the filter is still getting dirty as well.

i have noticed it would't read zero till ive reached 5,000 miles on my 98 regal. just like the tahoe, im changing oil due to age not miles these days. it does less then a couple tho a year as well. hell bought it 9 years ago with 212 on it, its now got 242,000, thats like 2 years worth of whats called normal driving miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick