How to Reset Transmission Control Module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShookieJay

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the dumb question, but I've searched the forum several times as well as Google and haven't found an answer.

Can anyone tell me how to reset the TCM, hopefully without a scan tool? I just installed a shift kit and corvette servo, as well as replaced the shift accumulators in the 4L60E on my 03 Tahoe. The instructions that came with the shift kit say you should reset the TCM so it can re-learn shift points, but I have no clue how to do that...

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for the dumb question, but I've searched the forum several times as well as Google and haven't found an answer.

Can anyone tell me how to reset the TCM, hopefully without a scan tool? I just installed a shift kit and corvette servo, as well as replaced the shift accumulators in the 4L60E on my 03 Tahoe. The instructions that came with the shift kit say you should reset the TCM so it can re-learn shift points, but I have no clue how to do that...
Not a dumb question....What shift kit is this?

I've installed thousands of them into 4L60Es over the years and never had to do a relearn. The 4L60Es and 80Es don't need it; the adaptive relearn requirement after trans service didn't arrive until the 6L transmissions where the TCM (TEHCM) is part of the transmission assembly and not integrated into the PCM or otherwise off-board of the transmission.

What was your servo travel once you installed the corvette servo? Should have been something in the neighborhood of .050-.090...Did you use Sonnax pinless accumulators for the forward, 1-2 and 3-4 or just the springs that came in the shift kit? Did you replace the 3-4 accumulator piston with a new one (that should always be done as those wear aggressively at the piston pin bore)?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unhook the battery for 30 minutes. your tcm is not stand alone module. its in the pcm, so taking power from it resets everything and it all relearns.
It would work, but really don't even "need" to do that. Couple days of driving and it will work itself out.

I've installed thousands of them into 4L60Es over the years and never had to do a relearn.
Ditto, what kit.
And not thousands, but enough to know a relearn isn't necessary.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So did you find anything damaged when it was disassembled? I remember that you had a thread about bad shifting a couple months ago. I am guessing that is why you went with the parts you installed.

OP
OP
ShookieJay

ShookieJay

Reaction score

I've installed thousands of them into 4L60Es over the years and never had to do a relearn. The 4L60Es and 80Es don't need it; the adaptive relearn requirement after trans service didn't arrive until the 6L transmissions where the TCM (TEHCM) is part of the transmission assembly and not integrated into the PCM or otherwise off-board of the transmission.

What was your servo travel once you installed the corvette servo? Should have been something in the neighborhood of .050-.090...Did you use Sonnax pinless accumulators for the forward, 1-2 and 3-4 or just the springs that came in the shift kit? Did you replace the 3-4 accumulator piston with a new one (that should always be done as those wear aggressively at the piston pin bore)?
Ngl, I have no clue about the travel lol I just put it in the same way the other one was. Now that you mention it tho, that sounds important. Where do I measure this travel? And as for the accumulators, yes I used Sonnax.
It would work, but really don't even "need" to do that. Couple days of driving and it will work itself out.

Ditto, what kit.
And not thousands, but enough to know a relearn isn't necessary.
Ok, ill disconnect the battery just for hahas. I have no complaints with the way it's shifting now, but I wanted to be on the safe side. And I went with the basic kit from transgo. I don't need anything crazy, just wanted to address the sloppy 1-2 shift.
So did you find anything damaged when it was disassembled? I remember that you had a thread about bad shifting a couple months ago. I am guessing that is why you went with the parts you installed.
Wow good memory. Only damage I found was a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator. Everything else looked good. Fluid was very clean as well, granted, I changed the fluid/filter a little over a year ago. I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner lol the shifts are prompt and firm. I have peace of mind now not worrying about burning the clutch on the 1-2.

Thanks everyone for the answers, I appreciate y'all :cheers:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ngl, I have no clue about the travel lol I just put it in the same way the other one was. Now that you mention it tho, that sounds important. Where do I measure this travel? And as for the accumulators, yes I used Sonnax.

Ok, ill disconnect the battery just for hahas. I have no complaints with the way it's shifting now, but I wanted to be on the safe side. And I went with the basic kit from transgo. I don't need anything crazy, just wanted to address the sloppy 1-2 shift.

Wow good memory. Only damage I found was a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator. Everything else looked good. Fluid was very clean as well, granted, I changed the fluid/filter a little over a year ago. I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner lol the shifts are prompt and firm. I have peace of mind now not worrying about burning the clutch on the 1-2.

Thanks everyone for the answers, I appreciate y'all :cheers:
Measure it at the servo cover. At this point all you need to do is take the head shield off and press in on the cover until the travel stops and see how far it travels. For reference take a pair of dial calipers and set them open .050 and compare that distance to your servo travel and see if they're similar.

Was it the transgo kit?
Yep, he used the SK4L60E and no where in the instructions does it call for any tcm resets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts