Oil Life doesn't reset to 100%

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 doesn't have a DIC, and it only takes three stabs and start to reset.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My 04 doesn't have a DIC, and it only takes three stabs and start to reset.
Neither does my 03. We've had it since 2012 and I've never needed to reset anything. No oil life monitor. I try to do it every 3,000 miles also.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 03 sierra i had, and the 05 silverado mason dump, both w/t's plain jane work trucks, but both have the monitor, you cant pull it up, but it will flash when you start the truck up that the oil % is nearing the end.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
i never use the oil life read out. i change my oil at 3,000. im not buying this 5 to 15,000 mile oil change BS. it still gets dirty, the filter is still getting dirty as well.

i have noticed it would't read zero till ive reached 5,000 miles on my 98 regal. just like the tahoe, im changing oil due to age not miles these days. it does less then a couple tho a year as well. hell bought it 9 years ago with 212 on it, its now got 242,000, thats like 2 years worth of whats called normal driving miles.

I try to stick to 5000 on my full syn. Last time I was 4xxx and sent it to Blackstone. He told me looks good, next time run it to 6000. I thought "nah, thanks." just crossed 5000 the other day. Changing this weekend. Will send another sample in.

OP
OP
SmokChsr

SmokChsr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@OP, post a video of you resetting your oil life from beginning to end

I could do that, but I don't really see the point, first I have to wait until it goes down at least some to reset it again. So you can see that yes, I do know how to do the reset function, and that it does exactly as I described and goes back to a lower percentage than 100%

But right now I need to go adjust the Flux capacitor it's a bit out of alignment.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I could do that, but I don't really see the point, first I have to wait until it goes down at least some to reset it again. So you can see that yes, I do know how to do the reset function, and that it does exactly as I described and goes back to a lower percentage than 100%

But right now I need to go adjust the Flux capacitor it's a bit out of alignment.

Once you straighten that up, it will probably get you another 10-12% of oil life.

OP
OP
SmokChsr

SmokChsr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW, I did the battery disconnect for 15 minutes, and still no change it's resetting to 50%. I also checked and I can do a Oil Life reset either way, peddle pump, or bring it up on the dash and hold the reset until it says "Oil Life Reset". The pedal pump method is the one that's in the owners manual, that's the reason I was doing it that way. Scary when you have to RTFM..

In my mind I'm still thinking that this is indicative of another issue that may need addressing. But until I know what that might be, I won't be able to.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Only other thing I could think of is, if somewhere down the line, the PCM was reflashed to give earlier oil change reminders. Just spitballing info here... I know with some vehicles, you can adjust this, but I don't know how these 'hoes handle such a command.

Barring that, I'm at a loss. The OLM systems on these are algorithmic, there's no oil condition sensor to be tossing you these sort of issues. You'd need a good scan tool to go any further.

Keep me posted would you? I'm rather curious what you find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC