Oil filter difference ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "E" is for the E-core filter. It has a plastic (nylon) core versus everyone else's perforated steel tube. "E" probably stands for "Environmental" since the changes were to make it more environmentally friendly by being easier to separate and recycle the components. It has the nylon core (looks like a cage), a smaller body and end caps that aren't metal. There has been some negative criticism of the E-core and some reported failures- the core collapsing, I believe. They recently updated the design with a stronger core with more ribs in the cage. I think they're phasing out or have phased out the non-E and all that's left is new old stock. I'd just avoid the mess and stick with the other tried-and-true filters such as Wix and K&N.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-cores are installed in how many vehicles annually? Tens of Millions? We only know of a few failures? I think ACDelco should put put a tech sheet explaining that the e-cores are indeed safe to use as any other filter in its class.

Just my observation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at the point that I need to change the oil and filter. What is the difference from a AC PF63 and a PF63E ? And is that the right oil filter, or is there a better choice ? Thank you !

The former are out of production. The Wix WL10255 is better than ACDelco's latest offering but better yet IMO is the K&N, which is what I run in mine. Love the 1" nut for removal.

upload_2020-1-8_21-51-20.png

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm going to throw this out here for what its worth...

I am a member over on "Bob is the oil guy" and the talk of the town over there currently is the "Fram Ultra".

I have never used Fram do to my prior research BUT after reading up on the Fram Ultra I am thinking of switching my dual remote mount filter setup on the Burb over to them on the next OCI and see how they perform in the next UOA.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to throw this out here for what its worth...

I am a member over on "Bob is the oil guy" and the talk of the town over there currently is the "Fram Ultra".

I have never used Fram do to my prior research BUT after reading up on the Fram Ultra I am thinking of switching my dual remote mount filter setup on the Burb over to them on the next OCI and see how they perform in the next UOA.

I ran that one a few times with no problems. Really, I can't say I've ever had a problem with any oil filter. IIRC, the K&N was a little cheaper (at Walmart) and an equally as good or better filter so I went with that.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I ran that one a few times with no problems. Really, I can't say I've ever had a problem with any oil filter. IIRC, the K&N was a little cheaper (at Walmart) and an equally as good or better filter so I went with that.

Prior research I had done showed me that Purolator Pure 1, Wix, M1, and K&N were all basically equal.

The guys on "BITOG" tell me that the Ultra does a better job of filtering smaller microns than the M1 extended performance filters I currently run.

The ultra uses a synthetic media vs the paper in the M1.

The K&N is extremely hard to argue with, due to the nut on the bottom, when the filter is in the factory location. On my remote mount it really isn't an issue to get your hands on the filters though.

Most guys, on here, aren't running 13k-15k mile OCIs like me, so for most they aren't getting anywhere near what they potentially could out of their filters. I guess what I'm saying is the filter probably isn't as crucial with a 3k-5k mile OCI.

OP
OP
James Ward

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything with the word 'FRAM' on it, near it, once referred to as such, nor do I ever in this life even think of anything, even if it was for my pets and beneficial to same. FRAM is the last thing I'd ever consider for my Truck.

And this feelings are dur to their OWN actions. They pissed down too many legs, (Mine included) over the years. When I worked in Garages for the years and years, they had a chance to improve their product, but money is what guided them, I'd leave a dirty oil filter on instead of using one of theirs. Now I hope they will never get $0.10 from me ever again. Since the 70's they have killed at least 50 engine I know of or have had interment relations of. Never ever !

kbuskill

Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything with the word 'FRAM' on it, near it, once referred to as such, nor do I ever in this life even think of anything, even if it was for my pets and beneficial to same. FRAM is the last thing I'd ever consider for my Truck.

And this feelings are dur to their OWN actions. They pissed down too many legs, (Mine included) over the years. When I worked in Garages for the years and years, they had a chance to improve their product, but money is what guided them, I'd leave a dirty oil filter on instead of using one of theirs. Now I hope they will never get $0.10 from me ever again. Since the 70's they have killed at least 50 engine I know of or have had interment relations of. Never ever !

Although I have no personal experience with Fram, as I have never used them, I felt the same way about them from everything I have read.

That's why I was shocked to hear of anyone over on "BITOG" highly recommending them. Those guys are real sticklers about used oil analysis and evidently the Ultras must be doing something right.

However, I can certainly understand and appreciate your convictions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645