Newbie intro, 6" RC lift, 22 OEM chrome, 35" MTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, ordered the Curt 17500 weight distribution hitch system, and 7" drop shank, but one of the anti sway bars was missing from the box. Amazon is sending a new system out Tuesday and picking up the one I received.

So had to go with a simple drop hitch this weekend for an offroad trip with my cruiser club. About an 8700 pound setup. A lot of tongue weight made it droop a bit, but it towed really well. The WD system will be even better, and I'll have that for the run out to Moab. I don't expect to be fast up the passes, just safe and capable.

View attachment 277619 View attachment 277620

heck yea!

is 7” enough drop?! The hitches on these rigs are super high in stock location...cant imagine what it is with a 6” and 35’s lol

OP
OP
DADW4GN

DADW4GN

Reaction score
heck yea!

is 7” enough drop?! The hitches on these rigs are super high in stock location...cant imagine what it is with a 6” and 35’s lol

Will find out this weekend when I test fit. I got the setup from a contact in my Missouri campers forum that built a Sema 1500 pickup. He's at 9" of lift and uses an 8" drop with the same Curt system. I figured 7" should do me. The simple drop hitch I used was a 4" drop. I do like to leave some tongue weight when I pull, just feels like trailer pulls better / stays straighter.

OP
OP
DADW4GN

DADW4GN

Reaction score
Made it to Moab. Thankful for gears, airbags, and WD hitch; made it up the pass and back down without issues. 7" drop was perfect and set the WD hitch angled down 2 settings. Brought everything nice and level, and pulled really well. About 9,000 lbs in tow.

20210512_110400.jpg 20210512_203341.jpg 20210512_203310.jpg 20210512_203326.jpg

Superslow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a similar setup for my Yukon, but I do have to still get it into parking garages. Would you mind measuring the total height of the vehicle pretty please!

OP
OP
DADW4GN

DADW4GN

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a similar setup for my Yukon, but I do have to still get it into parking garages. Would you mind measuring the total height of the vehicle pretty please!

On a lake trip currently, but I should have a tape in the truck. Will try to remember to check in the morning.

maxpsi

Reaction score
4.10 Nitro gears going in today and tomorrow.

Factory set had a surprising amount of wear!I Like more wear than we typically see when regearing our 200k mileage 80 series Land Cruisers, which was a little alarming. My hunch is the lift and tires over the last 6,000 miles coupled with using "auto" 4x4 frequently on wet or slick pavement through the winter. One of the local 4x4 shops told my buddy to stay away from the "auto" setting on his Tahoe Premier with 6" inch lift, and to just use 4hi as needed in snow or dirt. And I will say, it did growl a bit in the auto selection on the freeway. I just figured it was more the drive shaft and planned on going double cardan. My hunch is that it was ******* the rear gears. So I will probably stay away from the dummy switch and dedicate 2 or 4 wheel based on conditions.

Rear needed one adjustment at install.

View attachment 273016 View attachment 273017 View attachment 273018 View attachment 273019 View attachment 273020

Still liking these gears? Are you still running the gov-lock?