cooki3mnster's build - The Black Pearl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, figured I'd get on the build thread sooner rather than later. I recently picked up this 2005 Yukon XL SLT 4x4 with 197,*** miles. i had been kicking around the idea of selling my 05 Colorado Z71 for a while and finally pulled the trigger on it. As much as I loved my little 355 it was time for something new and a little bigger. I started by looking for an early Suburban with the idea of swapping in a 5.3/6.0 and building a super cool family truck that oozes cool and retro style. After a bit of thinking I decided to get something a newer with "modern safety equipment" like air bags. I had a 2000 Excursion Limited w/ 7.3 PSD on a 6" lift and 37s a few years ago and really missed having a big 4x4 SUV. So I adjusted my search to an 00-06 Suburban/Yukon XL. I found a couple that I liked but nothing that really stood out until i found my 05. The PO was a cool dude and agreed on what I thought was a fair price.

IMG-0317.jpg

I brought the old girl home and immediately went to work. I have a habit of going through my new to me cars/trucks and performing all the maintenance upfront. This was no different, with the mileage on it I did everything. The plug wires were super brittle and disintegrated when removing them pretty sure they were original. All the fluids have been changed to syntehtic, new plugs, new trans filter, new rear diff cover gasket. Like I said the works. Next was to go and get rid of the "smoked/blacked out" look. Personally I can't stand it, I ordered new headlight housings, turn signals, tail lights, CHMSL and grille.

BEFORE:
IMG-0369.jpg

AFTER:
IMG-0370.jpg

AFTER with Grille, and new Fogs:
64408820684--526D2503-534C-48CF-86EA-580CEF51067C.jpg

After the lights and grille I got a CEL for a P0327. So i swapped in some new Knock sensors and harness and some intake gaskets. Found some shells up under the intake which makes me think this thing sat for a while at some point in its life.

IMG-0380.jpg

continued in next post...

Last edited:
OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG-0383.jpg

Runs like a top now. I also swapped in some new Bilstein 5100s, jounce stops, and Z71 springs to help out the ride a bit. To disable the Autoride I simply cut the 12VDC feed to the controller and capped it off. That way I have a 30a source for future expansion.

IMG-0425.jpg

IMG-0426.jpg

IMG-0427.jpg

Ride quality is so much better now! I tested it out with a 3 hour one way trip to Fresno to pick up a Z71 rack. I have always loved the way the Z71 rack looks and for $50 i couldn't pass it up, After a fresh coat of paint it looks brand new!

IMG-0444.jpg

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG-0450.jpg

This is how she sits now. I'm so happy with how it looks right now, And I have some big plans for it in the future. I still have somethings I need to install but am waiting on some brackets and a few other odds and ends to show up. I picked up a Tru-Cool 47391 trans cooler and mount from EAD performance, I picked up a spare seat control module from Pick n Pull and had it flashed by GMFlash.com. The seat controls are backwards and one of the lumbar supports is further forward than the other one. Working on a full LED conversion for all interior lights. Have some NNBS style Yukon XL badges coming for the doors and tailgate. And soon to order some new seat covers for the front seats from lseat.com.

Long term plans include a BDS 6.5" lift, some Fox Shocks, and some 35s. I am super stoked on this truck and can't wait to see how it evolves.

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
That’s a nice build! I like the look.

But now you need to either fix the thread title or change your handle, Mr. “cooki3msnter”.

On behalf of OCD people everywhere,

Bill

LOL

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice build! I like the look.

But now you need to either fix the thread title or change your handle, Mr. “cooki3msnter”.

On behalf of OCD people everywhere,

Bill

LOL
Haha I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice start. So you don’t have the “service suspension” message in the DIC with the method you used to disable the autoride?

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice start. So you don’t have the “service suspension” message in the DIC with the method you used to disable the autoride?
Nope, just disconnected the battery and removed the rear cargo area trim to find the controller. I metered out the wire to confirm it was 12VDC and then snipped it. I am planning on going back and removing the autride compressor an replacing it with a Viair one for onboard air.