Newbie intro, 6" RC lift, 22 OEM chrome, 35" MTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DADW4GN

DADW4GN

Reaction score
4.10 Nitro gears going in today and tomorrow.

Factory set had a surprising amount of wear!I Like more wear than we typically see when regearing our 200k mileage 80 series Land Cruisers, which was a little alarming. My hunch is the lift and tires over the last 6,000 miles coupled with using "auto" 4x4 frequently on wet or slick pavement through the winter. One of the local 4x4 shops told my buddy to stay away from the "auto" setting on his Tahoe Premier with 6" inch lift, and to just use 4hi as needed in snow or dirt. And I will say, it did growl a bit in the auto selection on the freeway. I just figured it was more the drive shaft and planned on going double cardan. My hunch is that it was ******* the rear gears. So I will probably stay away from the dummy switch and dedicate 2 or 4 wheel based on conditions.

Rear needed one adjustment at install.

636916167.jpg IMG_5914.jpg IMG_5919.jpg IMG_5920.jpg IMG_5922.jpg

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck yea!!!!

I dont think there is any possible way using the 4 auto (instead of full 4wd) would have anything to do with what the gears look like.

OP
OP
DADW4GN

DADW4GN

Reaction score
Heck yea!!!!

I dont think there is any possible way using the 4 auto (instead of full 4wd) would have anything to do with what the gears look like.
Thanks! And I get it...just can't figure what else could cause them to be so chewed up at 43,000 miles.

OP
OP
DADW4GN

DADW4GN

Reaction score
Regear complete. VERY noticeable difference, mainly in off the line power. No hesitation or lag for power when starting from full stop. Took a little getting used to easing into the gas because it's much quicker to launch from stop. Should do better towing.

Speedo off by 18%, so going to go ahead with the Hypertech in line speedo correction to resolve. It's a bit too much too get used to. Hard to get used to seeing 90 on the freeway when doing 75ish...

Also moving forward with airbag system inside the rear springs to assist when loaded. I just really like the current ride when unloaded, so don't want to mess with current setup too much.

Time will tell on knuckles and bushings for the RC lift. Wasn't my choice for lift as it had been freshly installed before purchase, but I have to say, at 6,000 miles, so far so good.

Really enjoying this rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne