Neutralizing road salt any suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They must know what they're doing... thats a high number... but if it works it will be worth it.

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea they got a lot of good reviews and the package includes sealants for inside the hood, front fenders, doors, trunk/gate, rockers, rear fenders, all hat or box sections of the underside as well as seams and weld points. We then apply Ziebart undercoating to the frame, brake lines, fuel lines and sheet metal.

They also mentioned If the vehicle is older it will most likely require some prep work before we can apply anything. This can include rust removal, steam cleaning and rust converting primer. Unfortunately we can not estimate prep work without seeing the vehicle in person. So depending on how bad the car is that can add extra to the cost.

exninja

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The people that suggest baking soda do not understand basic chemistry. All that would do is reduce the water's ability to dissolve the salt that you're trying to wash away. This is the first I'd heard of it, and it's completely silly.

kf7grq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have two types of rust protection available in our area of Western PA; an oil based film, and a gel. The oil is an annual application that cost $115.00 plus tax to have applied, and the gel starts close to $200. Obviously the gel should last longer. A few shops will retreat your gel undercoat for free or a small fee every year.

Most respectfully
Michael

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people that suggest baking soda do not understand basic chemistry. All that would do is reduce the water's ability to dissolve the salt that you're trying to wash away. This is the first I'd heard of it, and it's completely silly.

Exninja,
Thanks for chiming in.. I had no idea... it sounded kinda off but like i said i wasn't sure.
Thanks.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi had done some research a while back. In Canada, they use the oil treatment once a year at around $100 or so. I think that is the best method.

I had also bought some special cleaner for the crap they use up north on the roads. Not really needed in parts of country that see occasional snow since it is mostly salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roflwaffle

Latest posts