Need new instrument cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered repeatedly, but I don't honestly have a lot of time to research. I need a new cluster. Would prefer to get brighter LED style than OEM. Where should I look and are they easy to replace on my own (mechanic said there was one plug for the whole gauge cluster?)?

It's an '03 Denali, BTW. My oil pressure gauge is toast plus about a third of the bulbs aren't working.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the old lights with LED's ( should be plug and play. Plenty of write ups on line). Have you checked your oil sending unit or the wiring?

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 03 they switched to soldered bulbs. As far as aftermarket I know a couple people that tried them and we unhappy. You could always try a junk yard for an Esky cluster. I know a guy who has one but he just won't part with it yet.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, the bulbs are a PITA since they are soldered. My sending unit is only a few months old, so that's not the problem.

Anyone use these ebay re-manufacturing people? You send them your cluster and they repair and send it back to you? I'm a little skeptical on sending my entire cluster away for several days, but I don't much feel like spending $600 on a new one either.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try shooting scottyboy a PM. He has done a few led conversions for members here and he might have the knowledge to fix your other issue.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. I can fix it. Its just a stepper motor. Let me see how much the stepper motors are. I replaced a set for someone before, but he supplied them. He said he bought them off eBay. I charge $50 to swap the bulbs to LEDs. And probly only another $20 (plus parts) to swap the stepper motor. So I am guessing roughly about $100 plus shipping. (Or $70 if you supply the stepper motor.) The shipping from AK to Louisiana and back will probly cost a good bit tho. Even still, that's still a lot cheaper than the guy who charges $300 or more for a "full rebuild". Plus you won't have to deal with any mileage programming which can cost you another $100 or more.

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED's are plug and play prior to 03?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
True. I can fix it. Its just a stepper motor. Let me see how much the stepper motors are. I replaced a set for someone before, but he supplied them. He said he bought them off eBay. I charge $50 to swap the bulbs to LEDs. And probly only another $20 (plus parts) to swap the stepper motor. So I am guessing roughly about $100 plus shipping. (Or $70 if you supply the stepper motor.) The shipping from AK to Louisiana and back will probly cost a good bit tho. Even still, that's still a lot cheaper than the guy who charges $300 or more for a "full rebuild". Plus you won't have to deal with any mileage programming which can cost you another $100 or more.

Sounds good. I'm sure shipping will be another $100 or so, but still cheaper than going another route. Not sure how soon I'd be able to do this, either. So far I've been crazy busy this summer.

Is it true that there is only one "plug" to the entire cluster? The mechanic said I just pop the dash off, unscrew the cluster and there's one connector for everything on there so it's really easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia