Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just recently, I was on the highway and I punched the gas and I heard a loud pop under the hood. I didn't loose any power in the truck and it ran fine all the way home but when I parked the truck and let it idol, there is a loud ticking under the hood, like a bad sticking valve or something. Also notice oil gauge is fluctuating. Dont know if its related. The truck idol fine with no shakes or misses.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those pesky punch WOT situations.... Last summer, I pulled a WOT at a stop light, and it blew my heater hose right off the Tee at the fire wall and emptied my coolant all over the engine bay and street.
I had the same thing happen a couple of winters ago. Plastic T broke. I had new aluminum Gruven Ts in the seat back pocket that I had been putting off installing. Forced my hand and all has been well since.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heater Tees?? Do you thing he would make it home??

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well finally got truck to shop and the bad news is, I blew a valve, that's what is all ticking about. They are telling me I need a new motor and its not worth putting any money in a motor with 220K miles. Any suggestions. Used 5.3 are going for at least $2,500 with low miles. Or do I get the heads done? The motor already needs rear main seal, valve cover and oil pan gaskets. What do you suggest. The trucks interior and exterior is 100%

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well finally got truck to shop and the bad news is, I blew a valve, that's what is all ticking about. They are telling me I need a new motor and its not worth putting any money in a motor with 220K miles. Any suggestions. Used 5.3 are going for at least $2,500 with low miles. Or do I get the heads done? The motor already needs rear main seal, valve cover and oil pan gaskets. What do you suggest. The trucks interior and exterior is 100%
what is the 8th character in your vin?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn. If you dropped a valve, then there's damage to at least the piston and probably the cylinder walls too so you'll need to pull the heads at least, but will likely need a new block and bottom end too. Sorry to hear the bad news. $2500 for a low mileage unit seems like a fair deal if you love the truck and it's still in good shape.