Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second mechanic just confirmed needs a valve job! Now, should I take the chance and do a valve job or just replace it. Valve job is alot cheaper then the motor swap for sure
It’s your call. Now that you have better information, you just need to call the ball.

What’s the price delta between getting a valve job and the $3500-$4000 for motor swap?

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just ran the google reviews for this place and they sell alot of motors that are not what is listed. Many many bad reviews. Guess I will keep looking. I will also look for a shop that does legitimate head work

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just ran the google reviews for this place and they sell alot of motors that are not what is listed. Many many bad reviews. Guess I will keep looking. I will also look for a shop that does legitimate head work
Second mechanic just confirmed needs a valve job! Now, should I take the chance and do a valve job or just replace it. Valve job is alot cheaper then the motor swap for sure
@Dantheman1540

Dan lives not too far away, he's bound to know reliable folks since he's always tinkering inside motors.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duraburb is in Sanford. Why don't you ask him who he might recommend through Facebook or his website? He's responded to my questions over the years.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If it runs smoothly and strongly and you wanna keep it going for a cheaply as possible, I think some used, lower-mileage heads would be the the cheapest and quickest solution. You're looking at $200-$400 for heads (I often see 'em for $300ish in my area), $60 for a set of head gaskets, $50 for head bolts, $50 for intake manifold gaskets, $20 for exhaust manifold gaskets and $11 for exhaust manifold bolts (or use ARP- $32 but worth it). Don't forget the coolant and oil.

I'd compare this to having someone refresh or rebuild your current heads, though. At least then you'd have clean heads, new seals, a valve job (even if just lapped), maybe new guides and a resurfacing.

Of course, none of this will do anything for the leaky seals. Even if you did find an honestly low-mileage replacement, you still should replace all the seals before you installed it as cheap insurance.

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My motor dropped a valve almost two years ago, I slapped a new head on with a bigger cam and have been letting it rip at 7k since. I vote new head and keep on trucking. If you have time buy a $30 amazon borescope and put it down the spark plug hole. My assumption is that if it’s running fine it just needs a new head or possibly just a new valve. Which is a pretty easy job to do.

As far as shops in central Florida I only trust myself been burned a few times unfortunately. If I had more time I’d jump on helping but I’m swamped! Got a engine change half done in my shop now.

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do this the cheapest way but I have no one I can trust to do this kind of work. I been burned already for a rear main seal job that wasn't even done right. If I can get away with a head job and even throwing in a upgraded cam, I can runs this for another couple of years that would be awesome. Im already looking at least $3,500 swap out for a used motor. I love "iamdumb"'s suggestion but I have nobody to do it. If I was back in NY mechanics are a dime a dozen.

Hey Dan give me a shout when you can. Got a bunch of questions since you seem to know more then a majority of these mechanics here in central Orlando 757 438 6326. Steve

All,
I just had my boy recommend a remanufactured block for $3,400. He said it would be 1K to swap out motors parts and labor. 6 month warranty. Just need to swap external parts from old motor to new. Kind of pricey but seems to be the most trustworthy way besides "iamdumbs" suggestion. Thank you for all of your input. Going on 3 weeks without my HOE!

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Duraburb in Sanford and they only do conversions and they dont know anyone that works or repairs motors. Strange ;(

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do this the cheapest way but I have no one I can trust to do this kind of work. I been burned already for a rear main seal job that wasn't even done right. If I can get away with a head job and even throwing in a upgraded cam, I can runs this for another couple of years that would be awesome. Im already looking at least $3,500 swap out for a used motor. I love "iamdumb"'s suggestion but I have nobody to do it. If I was back in NY mechanics are a dime a dozen.

Hey Dan give me a shout when you can. Got a bunch of questions since you seem to know more then a majority of these mechanics here in central Orlando 757 438 6326. Steve

All,
I just had my boy recommend a remanufactured block for $3,400. He said it would be 1K to swap out motors parts and labor. 6 month warranty. Just need to swap external parts from old motor to new. Kind of pricey but seems to be the most trustworthy way besides "iamdumbs" suggestion. Thank you for all of your input. Going on 3 weeks without my HOE!

:confused: I'm not dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n