1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing door panel vent?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by east302, Jul 26, 2020.

1. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    I’m tracking a water leak on my 98 two-door. Water splashes onto this plastic vent thing and then comes out the hole for the door panel clip. From there it drips to the inside weatherstripping, overflows and floods the carpet.

Here’s what mine looks like. The plastic vapor barrier is perforated and there’s a plastic flap inside the interior door panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of the trucks on YouTube have a vent thing riveted on. Is mine supposed to have this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. 96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe Full Access Member

Name:
    David
    I'm pretty sure mine looks like yours and the panel is covered in plastic but I will check.

Is the drain hole in the bottom of the door blocked? Or is the weatherstrip/window scraper damaged/worn letting too much water in?

Thankfully rain is not one of my problem here in So Cal.

3. east302

Name:
    east302
    Thanks, I’d be interested to see what you find the next time you have the panel off.

I’ve ordered a new strip for the bottom of the window glass, maybe it will help. The problem is water splashing over everything in the door and leaking out. Drain holes are clear. At last count, it comes out two door clip holes, the speaker and the bottom of the inner door panel where the seal looks to have been poorly applied in 1998.

4. Galante

Galante Supporting Member

Name:
    Pete
    Looks like you have the rivet holes and sticky residue around the perimeter of the holes where the vent would go.... I wonder if previous owner.... or body shop... removed it and never bothered to replace..

5. east302

Name:
    east302
    Thanks, I see the rivet holes that you mention. On my truck (extended cab) it has the riveted vent thing and the outer door plastic does not cover it.

On this Tahoe, the openings over the vent are perforated but not removed. The adhesive stains are from that plastic sheet. It may be that the Tahoe/Burb needed a larger vent opening and the smaller truck vents weren’t used. Beats me.

So I replaced the door strip at the window glass and nothing changed. The problem is that water is splashing over all the stuff in the door and coming out.

The vent plastic is cut at an angle, so water is directed along the edge straight to the door clip hole.

[​IMG]

And then there are the mystery leaks around the speaker clip, the dislodged gasket and then a leak through another door clip hole. This is dumb.

[​IMG]

6. Galante

Name:
    Pete
    I see, maybe replacing the window belt molding will help With water intrusion. Or maybe trying to adjust the window out so it presses harder on the belt molding not letting water in so easy? Not sure you can adjust with these ‘newer’ vehicles like we used to be able to do in the 80’s.

if it makes you feel better, the back doors in my 13 sound like the ocean when I first move the truck after a few days....

7. exp500

exp500 Full Access Member

Name:
    j
    How about finding some heavier plastic sheet and install on inside of door? Like something between milk jug and garbage bag as a deflector( see Pipe Wrap) keeps speakers dry too.. Dripping from the attach pins means they are loose and/or door is full.

8. east302

Name:
    east302
    Thanks for the ideas. I’m thinking that some kind of shield is in order here. I tried a hose test with new factory door clips installed and they still seep. It’s the weirdest thing, never had this issue on the other door.

9. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    FWIW, I happened to have the door apart on my 1997 K1500 truck and it has the vent riveted in.

7D13DC20-ED2A-4318-856D-C45F469F12AA.jpeg

east302 likes this.
  10. Galante

Name:
    Pete
    I’m thinking pickups have it because there is no vent in the rear of the cab like in the rear of an suv. May help In the pickups with the whole vacuum effect when closing the door...

east302 likes this.