Koala's 05 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i figured i have lurked around and figured i would start my build thread ^.^ I have driven the thing bone stock for two years and this started all because i wanted to change out some yellowing lights, and has kinda just been built up from there. Mod's started with fresh new lens for headlight, markers, fogs, tail lights, and badge. After that i decided to remove molding, pinstripe and de-badge the back of the truck.

Truck is a 2005 LS base model Tahoe, 255,000miles on the clock, first transmission lasted 220k. It has been a very solid truck and runs great few things here and there have needed to be replaced due to mileage but had been taken care of fairly well before i bought it.

Repairs
Downstream O2 Sensors
Front & Rear Breaks (218k)
Wheel Hubs (218k)
Transmission (220k)
Fuel Pump (225k)
Anti-Sway End Links (255k)
Water Pump (256k)
Vapor Canister (256k)
Gas Cap (256k)​

Mod List
Green Completed, for now mods
Yellow In Progress
Red Planned Future mod input welcomed from those who have done them.

Drive-train
Transmission, re-manufactured with hardened sun-shell, corvette servo at 220k.
Airaid M.I.T
270 AMP Custom Electric Services Alt
2nd Under Hood Battery

Big 3 Wire upgrade (1/0 Ordered)
Front and Rear Anti Sway bars (thinking about Hellwig Anti-Swaybars)
NNBS Front breaks
Stainless Steel Break-lines
Trans Cooler

Once i get my truck the way i want it to look this will be the focus of the truck i am by no means a mechanic and will have a fair bit of learning when i get to this point but i am looking forward to building this list and starting mods to help wake this truck up.

Interior
Pioneer 80PRS headunit
Custom Car PC

4 door speakers cheap 150watt pioneers
NNBS Shift lever

Crescendo Symphony S4 800w 4 channel
AQ 3500watt amp with 2 12" crescendo contralto's
Leds Throughout interior all bulbs changed

2500 Cluster with Trans Temp (Page 4)
Converted to Center Console from jump seats
Second-skin B Stock 40lb bulk Pack*

Find passenger power seat and re upholster all seats.
New carpet, black
New Headliner
Paint interior trim to match (black and probably a dark grey)
Led, for all switchs (anyone know what voltages i will need for ac, and window switch would be helpful to know)

Notes on interior mods, I will more than likely be upgrading my door speakers again to a higher end component, something that can handle what my JL amp can push to them the cheap pioneers don't do very well. I want to relocate my amp rack to below my back seat and hopefully squeeze a battery under there Nothstar??, will add more room to the cargo area. Get my sub box rebuilt with the tahoe in mind with subs up port back, the one in there was built for my old rover before i sold it. Other than that i am very happy with sound system setup i have in the truck just needs some tweaking and finishing up.

Note on RPI3
Have components figured out and started building scripts. More info to come on this probably will pick back up on this in winter. but plans are to have OBD2, In vehicle WIFI, android auto, GPS, and Entertainment system.

Note on Second-Skin De-amplifier
We will see how far a 40lb bulk box will get me trying to get best coverage i can for both quieting road noises as well as help my sound stage.

Exterior
DNA Motoring, Headlights
Spec-D Tuning, Taillights
Cheap Amazon Replacement fogs
Full LED, all exterior lights Alla Lights (I do not use load resistors, i used LM487 flasher)
Black Bow-tie for the grill
New 20" Wheels off a new Denali sitting on Goodyear LS-2 275-55-20

Esky vent caps (Page 5)
Esky Roof-rack (Page 6)
Esky rear glass and third breaklight (Page 8)

Color Matched Door Handles
Paint Silver on grill to color match truck
Grill Insert ?
Running Boards (paint the smooth leave the textured part white)
Repaint Truck Pearl White

Notes on my exterior mods, The Spec-D Tuning lights look fantastic on the rear or the truck but do not do well with stock lamps there are no reflectors on the inside of housings. All of my 3157 bulbs are from Alla Lighting from amazon they are fantastic bulbs super bright and fairly cheap. The only downside to my LM487 flasher is that my turn signals stay partially illuminated at night, my cruise works fine, i am thinking that a diode on the lights may pervert this from happening, by preventing 12volts from returning to computer when park lights are illuminated.

Picked up Bone stock, one owner from a construction company.
IMG_20160130_162712066_HDR.jpg

Today.
Updated Pictures 11/4/17
20181013_144221.jpg
20181013_144242.jpg
Older pics
20180818_173217.jpg

truck rear.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So i figured i have lurked around and figured i would start my build thread ^.^ I have driven the thing bone stock for two years and this started all because i wanted to change out some yellowing lights, and has kinda just been built up from there. Mod's started with fresh new lens for headlight, markers, fogs, tail lights, and badge. After that i decided to remove molding, pinstripe and de-badge the back of the truck.

So my my mod list to date is

Interior
Pioneer touch screen, 7in double din
All 4 door speakers cheap 150watt pioneers
3500wat amp with 2 12" subs
300Watt JL 4Channel amp for Door speakers
Leds Throughout interior all bulbs changed (AC control, Windows, and 4X4 controls next)

Exterior
New Len's for Headlights, tail lights, fogs, makers lights
Full LED, all exterior lights Alla Lights (been super happy with them no issues) (I do not use load resistors, i used LM487 flasher unit. Only nitpick is at night my turns stay partly illuminated at night but all works great)
Black Bow-tie for the grill
Picked up my Esky Vent caps (still need to get them painted)
New 20" Wheels off a new Denali

Picked up Bone stock, one owner from a construction company.
View attachment 206899

Today.
View attachment 206900

View attachment 206901
And so it begins......Welcome. Looking good. What else do you have in mind for mods? Any interior shots? How many miles?

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks i, for exterior mods i wanna do the esky back window, get my vent caps painted and put on, then paint the truck, thinking about caddy pearl white.

Ill have to get back on interior shots though, and haven't begun to thought about how i wanna start that out.

Updated first post with mileage.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks i, for exterior mods i wanna do the esky back window, get my vent caps painted and put on, then paint the truck, thinking about caddy pearl white.

Ill have to get back on interior shots though, and haven't begun to thought about how i wanna start that out.

Updated first post with mileage.
I would go with the same white as your truck in the esky end caps. It will stick out like a sore thumb if you go white diamond tricoat color. You should do esky racks and the esky third brake light mod.

OP
OP
KookyKoala

KookyKoala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no when I re paint the whole truck, that's when paint pearl white, I'll paint the esky endcaps that I picked up same white as my truck for now. I do wanna do esky third break and looking into esky rack as well

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no when I re paint the whole truck, that's when paint pearl white, I'll paint the esky endcaps that I picked up same white as my truck for now. I do wanna do esky third break and looking into esky rack as well
Oh gotcha. Makes sense. The racks are a pretty easy swap. Get them and color match the end caps and then all you gotta do is swap. Esky third brake light is a little bit of a process on this gen truck. But it looks good when it’s done and ties the racks and the end caps together in my opinion. If you’re gonna do that swap make sure you get an esky rear hatch. Just makes the swap easier and the third brake light housings mounts more securely to the esky hatch.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nice blank canvas to start with. Not too many white hoes on here.
×2 on interior pics