Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Did some more work tearing it down today. Only 2 bell housing bots and the motor mounts holding it in now.

I also ordered the harmonic balancer puller. I think it would be prudent to get a new harmonic balancer? I assume mine has 240,000 miles on it. Looking at these ATI ones, Summit Racing makes a knock off one like them. Otherwise, I'm thinking the stock balancer does a good enough job, just get another GM balancer?
I'd def buy new--aftermarket if possible. I THINK i read that the rubber internally causes it to wobble--causes no issues but it still wobbles.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Which one did you go with in your build?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
The guy used the stocker on the new-ish motor.
I had a vid from my Express van, while it was running you could see it wobbling. Freaked me out. Supposedly it cause no ill effects, but that's why I suggested aftermarket.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy used the stocker on the new-ish motor.
I had a vid from my Express van, while it was running you could see it wobbling. Freaked me out. Supposedly it cause no ill effects, but that's why I suggested aftermarket.
Oh wow thatnis wild. I sold a buick yrs ago where it wobbled. I think the rubber separates from the hub.

It seems the fancier ones are a captured setup that if it breaks is self contained.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an innovators west 8 rib under drive crank thats pinned on one motor and a stock 260k mile balancer with an ARP bolt on my Tahoe. I say stock is fine for regular 6rib setups unless the rubber is falling apart. I'd definitely be concerned if I saw it wobbling.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an innovators west 8 rib under drive crank thats pinned on one motor and a stock 260k mile balancer with an ARP bolt on my Tahoe. I say stock is fine for regular 6rib setups unless the rubber is falling apart. I'd definitely be concerned if I saw it wobbling.
Yeah I feel bad. I sold that buick pretty cheap to my friend. Showed him where it was wabling (I should have know how to fixnit, but at time was clueless). He ran car for a few years then it spun a bearing... probably due to vibration... although ran SUPER smooth. Not sure if that would effect if much or not? Rubber just needs some plyability to dampen.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some more work tearing it down today. Only 2 bell housing bots and the motor mounts holding it in now.

I also ordered the harmonic balancer puller. I think it would be prudent to get a new harmonic balancer? I assume mine has 240,000 miles on it. Looking at these ATI ones, Summit Racing makes a knock off one like them. Otherwise, I'm thinking the stock balancer does a good enough job, just get another GM balancer?

I replaced mine as cheap insurance. I did have an odd vibe that was most noticeable around 1,750. I guess the new pulley fixed it. Hard to say with the cam and exhaust that you can feel.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine as cheap insurance. I did have an odd vibe that was most noticeable around 1,750. I guess the new pulley fixed it. Hard to say with the cam and exhaust that you can feel.

The one on my Buick was really bad, and you couldn't feel a thing haha. It drove smooth a silk.

Did you replace it with a factory one? or aftermarket style encapsulated? I'm not sure if the encapsulated is necessary unless you do higher RPM where you can grenade things no?

I'm looking at reviews for the stock ones and see there's some pretty bad Chinese knock offs that come apart on people. There are bad reviews of even the doorman. Trying to find AC Delco but not seeing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA