Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you are probably following my post where I blew up my 5.3L. Just forcing me to do a long awaited upgrade :) I do a few things with truck I hope to enhance with the build:

1. Off-road / forest roads (no extreme rock crawling): however, lots of minimum / no maintenance roads. So must be extremely reliable build with good toque. Right now my 5.3L struggles a bit (probably more the torque converter) to do some of the trails I go on. I videoed one of our trips here :) http://keystoaz.com/bullspringsroad/

2. Road trips: I travel to Canada and go on some 5000+ mile road trips. Truck must get reasonably good gas mileage. I got 17 to 18 on highway with my 5.3L.

3. Ability to tow: I have a C5 corvette I want to do endurance racing with. However, I need a tow vehicle to pull enclosed car trailer. (Note I'm also building a 4L60E with better internals).

4. Make this a forever truck, or at least motor, transmission, and transfer case so I want to build to last so long as the green new deal isn't a real thing haha.

Some parts I currently have my sights on for the build:

• LQ4 / LQ9 / LS2 block 3rd Gen w/ factory crank (I don't think forged crank will make any difference for my build?)

• LQ9 rods and pistons

• Melling High Volume Oil Pump - I know you can modify the factory to do higher pressure, however, I want the volume to accompany the pressure.

• Bushing Trunnion Rebuild Kit - Removes the needle bearings, so no chance of dropping them in the motor HERE Pretty simple design, however, only a couple people make these? The price doesn't seem fitting of the product... Any cheaper places to buy them from?

• Stock 317 Heads I plan to polish the exhaust ports. Not sure I'll do a port job though (I have in the past) but bit worried I might muck it up.

• Sloppy Stage 2 Camshaft HERE - I see even with natural aspirated setup this makes more power / same power across entire power band. I'm just hoping it doesn't sacrifice a lot of fuel economy in the process? (I watch this guy's channel a lot. Here he found that to be the best cam in a shootout across several camshafts HERE)

• Valves, Springs? In my previous build I installed dual valve springs. I kind of like the idea of those as they have half the chance of dropping a valve due to broken spring (does that happen often?) I used them in my LT1 build. I don't want wildly stiff springs though. (The ones I put in my Camaro bent the valve spring compressor haha) What pressure is best? Also are the factory valves pretty tough? Do they ever snap off in high mileage applications? Should I upgrade factory valves?

• Timing gear and chain? This is what broke in my first build / LT1. I hope to find something reasonably priced and indestructible?

• Fasteners: I want to go with studs instead of bolts. Not sure if necessary with the power I make but double the holding power.

• Head Gaskets? what lasts the best?

Few questions:

Are the LS motors internally balanced (crankshaft)? If so do the rods and pistons have to be a matched set?

I have HP Tuners for my truck (and Corvette). I am not the best tuner though. Either way, I'll probably need a wide band O2 somewhere in my system? Last tune YEARS ago on OBDI LT1 was with regular O2 sensors, basically impossible. I ended up sending ECU off to somebody and got a mail order tune.

Anywhere I could possibly download an existing tune for 6.0L w/ various cams such as the one I am looking at?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a really good list to me. The SS2 is very similar to my cam and I'd say it's still mild in a 6.0 which is good for off roading and tows like a beast, although i think there are better tow cams that might yield better mpg. The 317s aren't bad but I'd look at getting them milled a bit to bump up compression close to 11-1 if you don't mind running premium fuel.

Yes valve springs break and I 100% suggest duals.

Any of the MLS style head gaskets are good find one that raises comp ratio or gets you close to perfect quench.

Roller master makes good timing sets.

Studs are nice but not neccessary unless you run a lot of boost. You could save a few hundred dollars and do ARP bolts which would pay for the timing set.

You didn't mention lifters which are important and besides LS7 or Johnson I haven't heard of many other good brands to choose.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a really good list to me. The SS2 is very similar to my cam and I'd say it's still mild in a 6.0 which is good for off roading and tows like a beast, although i think there are better tow cams that might yield better mpg. The 317s aren't bad but I'd look at getting them milled a bit to bump up compression close to 11-1 if you don't mind running premium fuel.

Yes valve springs break and I 100% suggest duals.

Any of the MLS style head gaskets are good find one that raises comp ratio or gets you close to perfect quench.

Roller master makes good timing sets.

Studs are nice but not neccessary unless you run a lot of boost. You could save a few hundred dollars and do ARP bolts which would pay for the timing set.

You didn't mention lifters which are important and besides LS7 or Johnson I haven't heard of many other good brands to choose.
I plan to tear down my lifters and recondition them. I saw some stuff on how to do that :)

What other cams do you recommend?

Bit leery as to increasing compression as some places I go don't sell premium fuel... Specifically up in the mountains of Canada / montana.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to tear down my lifters and recondition them. I saw some stuff on how to do that :)

What other cams do you recommend?

Bit leery as to increasing compression as some places I go don't sell premium fuel... Specifically up in the mountains of Canada / montana.

If you can't find steady premium then I agree 10 or maybe 10.5 is most I'd probably go . I haven't heard of reconditioning lifters but it certainly will help save some money. Theres a lot of theories on cams and I'm no pro I bought mine off someone for a totally different project that found it's way in this truck and it works well. However something custom spec from Roger Vinci or another cam pro would be best.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't find steady premium then I agree 10 or maybe 10.5 is most I'd probably go . I haven't heard of reconditioning lifters but it certainly will help save some money. Theres a lot of theories on cams and I'm no pro I bought mine off someone for a totally different project that found it's way in this truck and it works well. However something custom spec from Roger Vinci or another cam pro would be best.
Dude this Roger Vincius awesome. i may just have to call them up and get a custom grind cam :)

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a block with machine work completed cam bearings installed and ready to assemble. they will include the LQ9 pistons and rods. They want $1000

Then I use my crankshaft.
and parts I order to upgrade.

Seems to be a okay deal?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts