Mevotech Tough Terrain control arms VS Moog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So like the title states... any opinions?

Shortly after purchasing my '08 Burb, with 154k miles on it, I rebuilt the front end with new Moog upper control arms and Moog lower ball joints.

I chose Moog because they were serviceable (zerk fittings for grease) as opposed to the originals that couldn't be greased.

I have no real complaints but now at almost 250k miles I have a lower ball joint that is getting a little play in it.

I had the tires rotated today and the guy had it on the lift showed me the play in it. It is also ever so slightly wearing the inside edge of the tire on that side... tires only have 10k miles on them.

So with all that being said I started researching control arms because I had pretty much made up my mind that when the time came I would swap from the cast steel/iron control arms to the aluminum arms that came on the PPV Tahoes and 4x4 trucks... you know, for the weight reduction and 0.000003% improvement in fuel economy... lol

But now that I am researching, I came across these Mevotech Tough Terrain control arms that Rock Auto lists as "Heavy Duty" , which has me intrigued.

Lowers...
More Information for MEVOTECH CTXMS50153
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10079768&cc=1441040&jsn=55

Uppers...
More Information for MEVOTECH CTXK80670
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10079684&cc=1441040&jsn=58

Uppers are forged steel and lowers are cast steel, according to RA, instead of aluminum. There goes my improved MPG.

Moogs are supposedly forged steel upper and lower.

Any way... do any of you have any real world experience with these Tough Terrain control arms? I know Mevotech has lower quality arms as well but I am just curious about these in particular.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
No one?

Perhaps I should have posted this in the "lifted suspension" section.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody else was recently asking about the other Mevotechs. I think @Doubeleive knows something.
I have been looking at those, I asked another guy that had them and he said the zerk was a pia but then never responded as to whether they were any good or not, I guess the bottom line is unless you are lifting it or lowering it then stick with oem they last a long time

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I have been looking at those, I asked another guy that had them and he said the zerk was a pia but then never responded as to whether they were any good or not, I guess the bottom line is unless you are lifting it or lowering it then stick with oem they last a long time

Well I'm kinda lowered... lol

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Ken, I'm sticking with GM OE. Twice as expensive as ACDelco or Moog but should run another 150K right? Your Moogs went 100K right?

I didn't go back with OEM last time because they didn't have zerk fittings.

The Moogs had zerk fittings so they were more serviceable IMO.

I can't remember exactly what the mileage was when I changed them before but I know it wasn't long after I purchased the truck... so close to 100k ago.

I just always like to upgrade and improve on things when I have to replace stuff so if there is a better option I like to try it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't go back with OEM last time because they didn't have zerk fittings.

The Moogs had zerk fittings so they were more serviceable IMO.

I can't remember exactly what the mileage was when I changed them before but I know it wasn't long after I purchased the truck... so close to 100k ago.

I just always like to upgrade and improve on things when I have to replace stuff so if there is a better option I like to try it.

I saw a post where you said the originals were replaced in the 140s or 150s and the current ones have 100K on them now. Seems to me the sealed ball joints last longer.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I saw a post where you said the originals were replaced in the 140s or 150s and the current ones have 100K on them now. Seems to me the sealed ball joints last longer.

I'm not sure that was me... I didn't buy the truck until it had 154k on it and after looking back through old posts on here it seems I swapped to the Moog parts at around 175-180k.

I am assuming the ones I took off were original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts