Moog Dust Boot Question / Clarification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I overhauled the front suspension on my 2005 tahoe when I hit 200k miles. I had torn lower ball joint boots, etc. so I figured I would just go at it all and give the front end a new start. When I installed the lower control arms (Moog CK620380/CK620381; purchased from RA), only the driver's side is holding grease. The passenger side is oozing between the ball joint stud and the "boot" itself as soon as I introduce grease.
This is where I feel like I might be stupid for missing something...
I went back and looked at stock images for these control arms and noticed that, with the integral dust boot design on the Problem Solver ball joints, that there isn't a dust boot covering the tapered area. That's when I looked back at what I installed and noticed that what I thought was the dust boot was thinner, firmer (but not hard) and I am unsure if that piece was just a sleeve to hold onto any grease that leaked out during shipping.

I know that there are occasional defective dust boots out there, and that the fact that the driver's side looks normal supports the idea that I have a defective passenger side dust boot, but I just can't help but question whether that longer portion with the "teeth" on the bottom end of the "dust boot" should even be there at this point or not. There are not any stores in my area that have these control arms in stock so I cannot directly compare with a new part so I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar encounter in the past with these Moog control arms before I have to tear this side back apart to replace a defective part that isn't really defective.

Attachments

• stock image.png
    stock image.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Passenger Side.jpg
    Passenger Side.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Dust Boot Pre-Installation.jpg
    Dust Boot Pre-Installation.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Driver Side.jpg
    Driver Side.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 6

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure the driver side just wasn't fully pregreased and the passenger the mfg was being over zealous and just filled it? regardless of the quality of the dust boot there will be a point it just lets the grease come out. so its possible its just coming out because there's no room for more. other possible are you sure that ball joint is full seated. ive had occasions where they were so snug id have to back them out and try to seat them 2 or 3 times.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I received the control arms, the boots for both lower ball joints looked completely dry and were somewhat folded / creased on themselves. The zerks were also not pre-installed but I’m sure there’s a way for the manufacturer to pre-grease the joints. What is throwing me off is that the driver’s side swelled up as I’d expect when I gave two or three pumps and is somewhat spongy when I give a slight squeeze; the passenger side has zero give in it. The very first pump and the boot swelled just a hair and then collapsed back on itself and spat grease out from the top. It still feels dry and the bellowed portion refuses to swell.
I’m more experienced with their other gusher style joints (like you’d see on the inner tie rods), where there’s a little valve or flap that helps to release the pressure of excess grease.

I’ll keep an eye on it and see how it performs over the next few months. I’m just concerned with the potential for hole or rip allowing for the joint to wear prematurely. At least the Moog arms will allow me to do a ball joint swap fairly easily, if that’s the case.

I appreciate the comments!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you really shouldn't pump grease in there untill it swells anyway. the boot is literally just a dust boot primarily there to keep debris out. it does keep the grease from coming out through normal driving not to pack extra grease in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660