Metal in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea was thinking about doing that but how do I cut it open

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea was thinking about doing that but how do I cut it open

I don't see the point. People cut open filters to see if there's any metal in the oil. You already know you do. I would try to identify the larger chunks. If you still have them, clean them off and post up some clear pics. Maybe we can help pinpoint what's coming apart. The sooner you ID and fix the failure- the better. Your engine might still be very salvageable.

HD_LS

Reaction score
When I get pan and front cover off tomorrow is there anywhere specific I should look for sources of the metal? What could lose that much metal without making noises or causing problems?

Sorry to hear about this, hopefully it is something repairable without a rebuild. My first guess would be that it is something in valve train other than the timing chain. Pulling the valve covers might be the next step in diagnosis.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this, hopefully it is something repairable without a rebuild. My first guess would be that it is something in valve train other than the timing chain. Pulling the valve covers might be the next step in diagnosis.

If I don't find anything in timing or oil pan that will be next place I look.
How much does used oil analysis cost and what would it tell me

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I don't find anything in timing or oil pan that will be next place I look.
How much does used oil analysis cost and what would it tell me

$30 and it will tell you how many parts per million different metals are floating around in your oil. The metals let you know what kind of wear or problem your engine is experiencing. I do a yearly sample of the engine and transmission, probably should do the differentials and transfer case too.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
You’re not doing a UOA at this point, unless you saved the old oil in a spotlessly clean container. Sampling the new oil won’t tell you anything.

And you’re way past the point of a few PPM of iron in the oil telling you a problem is approaching. The problem has arrived.

UOA is mainly useful for trends, where you can watch a series of data points over time. For example if you’re doing it regularly and your iron is 11, 13, 10, 37 then that’s a wake up call. And it’s useful for early identification of things like leaking coolant, bad air filtration, PCV failure and so on. I do it myself on a couple of vehicles where I have specific concerns, but not on the average gas engine light duty vehicle. NAPA has the best price I’ve found on UOA service. Less than $15 IIRC. Plus postage to ship the sample.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got front cover off found the problem timing chain tensioner came apart. And the mangled piece in second picture was between oil pump and crank sprocket grinding on sprocket. So aslong as the metal in the oil didn't damage any bearings or anything it should hopefully be alright? Still gotta drop the differential and steering rack to get oil pan off. Sorry pics are dark phones dying and I'm under a tarp it's pouring out.

IMG_20210411_172944515.jpg IMG_20210411_173046451.jpg IMG_20210411_173000222.jpg IMG_20210411_172909093.jpg IMG_20210411_134314303.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645